Apple's thinner 15-inch MacBook Pro rumored to debut in April with Ivy Bridge i5, i7 CPUs

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014

Apple's new 15-inch MacBook Pros will be thinner than current models but thicker than a MacBook Air, and will feature Intel's latest Ivy Bridge Core i5 and Core i7 CPUs when they launch next month, according to a new report.

A "reliable source in the Far East Asian supply chain" relayed to How To Arena that Apple is planning to release a new, thinner 15-inch MacBook Pro by the end of April. The details corroborate with a separate report that surfaced on Wednesday, though there remains confusion as to whether the new notebook will be a "Pro" or an "Air."

Thursday's newest take said the new 15-inch MacBook Pros will be powered by Core i5 and Core i7 Ivy Bridge processors. That would be a change from the existing Sandy Bridge-based MacBook Pros, as both 15-inch models feature high-end Core i7 processors, while an Intel Core i5 CPU is found in the entry-level 13-inch MacBook Pro.

Thursday's report said it is "not clear" if Apple plans to introduce a new MacBook Pro with an entry-level Core i3 Ivy Bridge CPU from Intel. It's possible that, like the current MacBook Pro lineup, all of the company's "Pro" laptops could feature only Core i5 and Core i7 processors.

Finally, the anonymous supply chain source also reportedly indicated that the new 15-inch MacBook Pro will be "thicker than currently available MacBook Airs but thinner than MacBook Pros."

Thursday's report does stand in contrast to the earlier rumor on Wednesday from Electricpig, which characterized the forthcoming notebook update as a 15-inch MacBook Air, rather than a MacBook Pro. The confusion likely stems from the fact that Apple's next MacBook Pros are expected to feature the same design as the ultraportable MacBook Air and ditch the optical disc drive to create a thinner device.

An illustration of Apple's notebook lineup planned for the 2012 calendar year.

AppleInsider reported in February that this year Apple will radically redesign its MacBook Pro lineup with thinner chassis. A person familiar with the new designs said "they're all going to look like MacBook Airs."

But earlier reports dating back to last year have claimed that Apple is looking to expand its MacBook Air lineup with a new 15-inch model that is expected to launch in the coming months. It's possible that these products are one and the same, with the only question being whether the MacBooks will be branded "Pro" or "Air."

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 92
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member
    I do hope they offer a docking station with ethernet port or an on-board ethernet port (this article does not mention it will lack the ethernet port, other sites with the same source do).

And I'm not going to use an usb-ethernet adapter (speed issues, and because I don't buy a laptop to carry adapters around)
  • Reply 2 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mausz View Post

And I'm not going to use an usb-ethernet adapter (speed issues, and because I don't buy a laptop to carry adapters around)

You will use what Apple allows you to use.
  • Reply 3 of 92
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

he can use everything he wants/can pay. don't worry.

BTW, have you watched/read tech news lately? apple is really bringing the whole world to it's knees.. amazing.
  • Reply 4 of 92
    Quote:

Correct, so if it hasn't got an ethernet port I'll not be buying a new air-like mac book pro, but instead go for an asus zenbook (A version with 1080p screen)
  • Reply 5 of 92
    Quote:

Correct, so if it hasn't got an ethernet port I'll not be buying a new air-like mac book pro, but instead go for an asus zenbook (A version with 1080p screen)

Apple will sell 10 Zillion of them ... minus one.

They are Doomed.
  • Reply 6 of 92
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    What about the graphics card compatibility issue?
  • Reply 7 of 92
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

A built-in RJ-45 jack is the make-it-or-break-it feature for you regardless of whatever else they do? Even if the next MBPs have Retina Displays?
  • Reply 8 of 92
    Can't wait
  • Reply 9 of 92
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:

I do hope they offer a docking station with ethernet port or an on-board ethernet port (this article does not mention it will lack the ethernet port, other sites with the same source do).

They do, but it's called the Thunderbolt Display.
  • Reply 10 of 92
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

They do, but it's called the Thunderbolt Display.

Yep. They are not getting rid of the ports so much as moving them to the monitor.

Probably on the theory that when you need your big screen you're doing serious work, so probably need your wired network and external Thunderbolt RAID at the same time. But when you're on the road you can settle for slower networks and less storage.

In fact, why *do* other vendors put those ports on the actual laptop?
  • Reply 11 of 92
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Yep. They are not getting rid of the ports so much as moving them to the monitor.

Probably on the theory that when you need your big screen you're doing serious work, so probably need your wired network and external Thunderbolt RAID at the same time. But when you're on the road you can settle for slower networks and less storage.

In fact, why *do* other vendors put those ports on the actual laptop?

I think that works great for very portable users with the MBA that also want a desktop display but I think it gets hard to swallow for every MBP user. Apple's build quality and OS X are strong but I think that could hurt Apple a bit.

I see no reason why they can't use the tapered design and still have the back sides be a little bit thicker to accommodate the typical port array. Actually, eve more ports once that ODD is gone.
  • Reply 12 of 92
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Apple or some third party can make a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter without losing a bit of speed. Anyone who is willing to give up all of Apple's goodness will be biting their nose to spite their face. They deserve everything they get. It no skin off our nose.
  • Reply 13 of 92
    mufb74mufb74 Posts: 2member
    I am looking to upgrade from my late-2006 15" MBP. What do you guys think the odds are of this thinner 15" MBP having RAM accessible to the user and not soldered to the main board the Air?

If so, its a deal breaker for me.
  • Reply 14 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

A built-in RJ-45 jack is the make-it-or-break-it feature for you regardless of whatever else they do? Even if the next MBPs have Retina Displays?

Yes, I use my laptop at customers locations where only wired internet is available, and do not want to carry (or loose) additional adapters.\\

At home, I like to use gigabit, and that's a no-go with usb.

As I mentioned the new UX..A series from Asus have 1080p displays
  • Reply 15 of 92
    Deleted
  • Reply 16 of 92
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Apple will sell 10 Zillion of them ... minus one.

They are Doomed.

Seriously, It will have ethernet port. Mark my word.
  • Reply 17 of 92
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The details corroborate with a separate report

Can someone please explain how the fact details corroborate proves anything?

I also can go read a rumor, make up my own rumor based on it... and the details will "corroborate"!
  • Reply 18 of 92
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    I have been awaiting this update for some time. I am hoping to see the following (in order of importance):

1. Retina Display

2. Discrete graphics (wouldn't you need discrete graphics for Retina Display?)

3. Ethernet (obvious)

4. Thunderbolt

5. MacBook Air-like design (no ODD, SSD standard but larger sizes for MacBook Pro)
  • Reply 19 of 92
    Quote:

Those making the "Apple is more concerned with form over function argument" have a weak argument. More and more, apple designs each sku carefully. The 13 inch air and the 11 inch air are different beasts because Apple looked at what the extra space made possible and what the use of the larger machine was about. Both the 11 and the 13 are about portability, primarily, so no wired Ethernet. But the 13 adds a USB port and an SD card slot and a custom battery to add battery life and a screen that is the same resolution as the Macbook Pro 15. It targets business users who are highly mobile, and is not the perfect solution for those that need a lot of storage and a lot of connectivity.

The 11 inch is for people that are super mobile and have light use cases. The short screen is a pain to use if you are multitasking on the box 24/7, but its fantastic if you do a lot of work jammed in economy class, or at the coffee shop. It's very much a writers dream.

So I don't agree that Apple will release a slightly wider 13" Air to replace the 15" MBP. They will think about who buys the 15 inch _in the world where the 13" Air exists_. I don't know what months of thinking yield, but IMHO, I think they will be aggressive about size, but allow the device to have enough width to support a broader array of ports and storage. I hope this means wired ethernet, but if not, I would bet there would be a USB 3 based dongle (Ivy bridge gives USB 3 for free) or a Thuderbolt dongle. But I personally would put money on wired ethernet on the device.

I also think that it will feature a few more storage options over the 13" Air - more RAM options, and I bet it will have room for a 2.5" drive (6GB/S SATA). No optical. SD card.

It will be higher res than the 13" display - so resolution like the high end BTO 15" display or greater, and an NVIDIA GPU to power it.

If its just a bigger 13" air, there is very little reason to buy it over the 13". I think they understand that users who want to carry another pound or more of larger computer want more than larger screens.
  • Reply 20 of 92
    Quote:

I do hope they offer a docking station with ethernet port or an on-board ethernet port ...

Apple offers the most powerful docking station you can buy. It's called the Apple Thunderbolt Display.

It's a shame if you already have a monitor, but Apple is quite unlikely ever to offer a docking station without a monitor attached. It's a better, cleaner design overall and that's what Apple is all about really.