First 1080p Apple TV shipments begin to arrive a day early (pictures)

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014

Customers in the U.S. who were among the first to order the new Apple TV with 1080p video output began receiving the set-top box on Thursday, a day before it is set to officially launch.

AppleInsider received its own Apple TV, and numerous readers also wrote in to share that they, too, had received their order in the mail on Thursday. The new Apple TV shipments are arriving early, while carriers are still holding shipments of the new iPad for delivery on the official launch Friday.

Orders of the new Apple TV began shipping to customers on Wednesday, and initial tracking information suggested that the $99 devices would in fact be delivered a day early. That was confirmed on Thursday morning as deliveries began around the country.

Customers who attempt to order the new Apple TV from Apple's online store are now faces with a one to two week wait. That's still a shorter wait than those looking to buy a new iPad have, as online orders of the third-generation tablet are estimated to ship in two to three weeks.

The new model looks identical to the previous model, with similar packaging and identical ports on the rear of the device. It also ships with the same remote and power cable as its predecessor.

The latest Apple TV outputs high-definition 1080p video, thanks to a new custom single-core A5 processor found in the device. To support this functionality, 1080p content is available on iTunes, and the Netflix Instant Watch application has also been updated.

Below are pictures of Apple TV deliveries made on Thursday. Thanks to AppleInsider readers Christoph and Jim.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    I just got mine and it only shipped from pennsylvania last night 8pm. I am not upgrading my ipad 2 (i do not feel like the resolution is worth it for how much i use my ipad) but i do really need the 1080p for itunes stuff.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    mcrcnmcrcn Posts: 27member
    FedEx guy just dropped off my Apple TV too! Now if only my new iPad would show up a day early...
  • Reply 3 of 36
    How is the expected delivery of a product that is virtually identical to the current product ... news?
  • Reply 4 of 36
    [greg][greg] Posts: 78member
    Yep -- got mine as well. Anyone not getting theirs today?
  • Reply 5 of 36
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

I just got mine and it only shipped from pennsylvania last night 8pm. I am not upgrading my ipad 2 (i do not feel like the resolution is worth it for how much i use my ipad) but i do really need the 1080p for itunes stuff.

I'm in the same boat- rarely use my iPad 2, but use my Apple TV daily. I sold my 3 ATV2s on Craigslist for $80 each.

I won't use the 1080p feature though- so no real reason for me to upgrade, but I like the faster chip, and knowing Apple, it will give me one or two extra features by having the faster chip later down the road.

I'm really anticipating a teardown. For some reason, I feel like we're going to have better range with this one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

How is the expected delivery of a product that is virtually identical to the current product ... news?

lol- I thought the same thing.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    But will it work on a 1080i only TV?
  • Reply 7 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

But will it work on a 1080i only TV?

Sure the TV just dumbs down the signal. Just as if you have a 1080p TV and the old AppleTV, it dumbs it down to 720p no matter what the source, because that one couldn't output anything higher.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    Quote:

Obviously you don't read magazines and ebooks on your iPad.

What the model number the new AppleTV is?
  • Reply 9 of 36
    This seems so inefficiently packed. It looks like they just threw the cords in. It's almost as if the graphics in the outside dictated the shape as opposed to the drive to decrease shipping costs.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SergeSF View Post

Obviously you don't read magazines and ebooks on your iPad.

What the model number the new AppleTV is?

The bottom says a1427

Also I do not read ebooks on my ipad. I use it for videos, some apps, and the web.

Crhain88 how is it inefficiently packed? ITs actually the opposite. I do not see how they can make the box any smaller. The box has very little space .The pictures make it look bigger then it is. Its not much bigger then the apple tv itself.

PS this apple tv seems faster going through the menus then muy apple tv 2nd gen does with the same firmware.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    Eh. I take this back. I don't own an Apple TV so I think I'm thrown off by it's size. That remote just looks huge.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

You obviously don't read.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CRHain88 View Post

Eh. I take this back. I don't own an Apple TV so I think I'm thrown off by it's size. That remote just looks huge.

Yeah the pictures make the sizes look really off. The box is basically the size of two AppleTVs stacked on top of each other plus the thickness of the cardboard...
  • Reply 14 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I'm in the same boat- rarely use my iPad 2, but use my Apple TV daily. I sold my 3 ATV2s on Craigslist for $80 each.

I won't use the 1080p feature though- so no real reason for me to upgrade, but I like the faster chip, and knowing Apple, it will give me one or two extra features by having the faster chip later down the road.

I'm really anticipating a teardown. For some reason, I feel like we're going to have better range with this one.

lol- I thought the same thing.

Do you fools consider your comments 'news worthy'? Professor (ha!), is this not a website that reports on all details of Apple news?

Stop whining already.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    Quote:

The bottom says a1427

Thank you for info!

Quote:

Also I do not read ebooks on my ipad. I use it for videos, some apps, and the web.

Hmmm... And you don't need better resolution while browsing the web?

Once you'll open magazines in AppStore for yourself - a big surprise is waiting for you! They look so great, and the only drawback is the lack of resolution.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CRHain88 View Post

This seems so inefficiently packed. It looks like they just threw the cords in. It's almost as if the graphics in the outside dictated the shape as opposed to the drive to decrease shipping costs.

Seeing as how the sides are mostly whitespace I sincerely doubt that
  • Reply 17 of 36
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    And it still ships with that crap remote. You know, the one in which every press of a directional button automatically includes a free center button press!
  • Reply 18 of 36
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

And it still ships with that crap remote. You know, the one in which every press of a directional button automatically includes a free center button press!

I have never had that problem.

Anyways, mine just arrived. Yay!
  • Reply 19 of 36
    Too bad they did'nt ad analog audio \
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kjacobi View Post

You obviously don't read.

wuh?

This doesn't even make sense.

My point was just that given this thing is exactly the same as the current one except for the fact that it does 1080p, and more importantly that it is visually identical to the current one, that a giant article on it's arrival, an "unboxing" and especially the copious pictures of it were a little unnecessary.

A simple picture of a happy person holding the box and smiling at the camera would have been more apropos because the story here is really just "they have started arriving."