Apple's thinner 15-inch MacBook Pro rumored to debut in April with Ivy Bridge i5, i7 CPUs

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 92
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Ha! You'll be lucky to get that many ports on a new Mac Pro. Whatever the new MBP form factor is, it'll have half that many ports.

If they remove the FW800 and ethernet ports, there is plenty room for 4 x USB and 2 x Thunderbolt ports but they might cut the number of ports down. I don't think that would be a good move though as you couldn't plug in a USB ethernet adaptor, a mouse and a USB pen at the same time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by emacs72

it's not that simple. a business case will have to made to support notebooks without Ethernet connectivity. and, most likely, a security audit conducted to see whether it's worthwhile.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mausz

I'm not going to use an usb-ethernet adapter (speed issues, and because I don't buy a laptop to carry adapters around)

USB 2 ethernet adaptors are slower but Thunderbolt ones should be fine. Apple even includes a Gigabit ethernet port on their Cinema display.

On the subject of carrying adaptors, there will be a crowd of people saying they don't want to carry round an external DVD drive, a crowd who don't want to carry round HDMI and VGA adaptors for Mini Displayport, a crowd who don't like a sealed in battery and would rather carry a spare battery than a power supply and maybe even a crowd who don't like carrying an external mouse because they can't work the trackpad.

It turns out that none of these crowds have any effect whatsoever on Apple's product design and rightly so. The ethernet port has to go eventually, so either those people will have to leave a USB or Thunderbolt adaptor plugged into the ethernet cable they don't carry round with them or buy another laptop.
  • Reply 82 of 92
    amtiamti Posts: 19member
    First post. No IT expert, just a long time Mac user, with a bit of electronics in the distant past. Will be upgrading from my comp (2007 iMac) in the middle of the year, so pretty interested in the looming upgrades from Apple, especially how it effects the 13" range.

My 2c:

Needing a small dongle to use Ethernet certainly doesn't seem to have hindered sales of the 2011 Airs. I don't believe that it is going to cost Apple many future sales of 15" Airs. Pretty sure Apple don't believe it will either.

My guess at the upcoming 15" is:

- Air form

- Ivy bridge

- 4 GB RAM standard, option for 8 GB.

- one TB port

- at least one USB 3 port on either side, possibly two on the non-TB port side.

- Magsafe, card slot, and audio port.

- No ODD.

- Separate solid state and platter drives (in various combinations and sizes).

- 1080 screen as standard, with retina displays either a BTO or not available until the next round of hardware upgrade.
  • Reply 83 of 92
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Any graphics professional will likely not want to use the "inferior" Apple displays, but go for ones like from the Eizo

Those graphic professionals must be a rare breed, because if you see the setups of the most respected graphic designers in the industry for web and print, you mostly see Apple displays, not Eizo.

Ever ventured into a high end design studio? You saw many Eizo display's there?

Heck, even video guys don't use them that much if at all.
  • Reply 84 of 92
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member
    Ivy Bridge is supposed to support USB 3.0 at the chipset level, so Apple would have to somehow disable them and really, that would be rather stupid. Even if they do, I guess we'll have to get a jailbreak for the new MacBook's. With USB 3.0, any speed issues for Gigabit Ethernet would be moot if you really needed to use a dongle to get Ethernet.

Needless to say, Thunderbolt is another way to get all the Ethernet you can handle. I do make use of Ethernet still as well, when I'm situated at my table and have my Late-2011 MBP hooked up to my Cinema Display. That said, what I'm really looking forward to is 802.11ac WiFi, which Apple will hopefully come out with sooner rather than later. Speeds of up to 1.3Gbps are said to be coming our way, which is higher than the fastest wired Ethernet connection we have today.

Save up, folks! Lots of new Apple gizmos in the pipeline. Besides new notebooks, we're talking new AirPort Extreme/Time Capsule devices and I sure would welcome "Retina" display-like screens on some of the new laptops.
  • Reply 85 of 92
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foljs View Post

Those graphic professionals must be a rare breed, because if you see the setups of the most respected graphic designers in the industry for web and print, you mostly see Apple displays, not Eizo.

Ever ventured into a high end design studio? You saw many Eizo display's there?

Heck, even video guys don't use them that much if at all.

I've been to some pretty high end firms, I've yet to even see an Eizo display. Doesn't mean they aren't out there, but I doubt they are as common as people are making them out to be.

With that being said, I still can't stand glossy in a lit room, and for that I will always passover Apple displays until I have a choice of matte.
  • Reply 86 of 92
    gyorpbgyorpb Posts: 93member
    - No retina display

- No optical drive

- 1x Thunderbolt

- Ethernet

- 1x USB3 on 13", 2x USB3 on 15", 3x USB3 on 17"

- 1x FW800

- SD slot on 15", ExpressCard34 slot on 17"

- Frame as thin as the Ethernet connector allows

- Flash storage for system, internal bay for optional 2.5" HDD or SSD.

- Possibly discrete GPU in 13"; eliminating the optical drive leaves plenty of space. Although a cheaper variant with Intel graphics is likely: MBP is popular with musicians that need the power and ports but not the graphics.

.tsooJ
  • Reply 87 of 92
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gyorpb View Post

- Frame as thin as the Ethernet connector allows

Which is why I figure they'll drop Ethernet and have 802.11ac chips with the ac disabled until the AirPort family gets their update.

Quote:

- Flash storage for system, internal bay for optional 2.5" HDD or SSD.

No way. 15" and 17" will still likely have standard 2.5" drives.

Quote:

- Possibly discrete GPU in 13"

There's no discrete card in the 13" MacBook Air, so there can't be in any (pointless) thinner 13" Pro.

I don't figure they'll keep the 13" "Pro" if there's any sort of case redesign.

Quote:

eliminating the optical drive leaves plenty of space.

So why isn't there a discrete card in the 13" MacBook Air?
  • Reply 88 of 92
    kakmankakman Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

I've been to some pretty high end firms, I've yet to even see an Eizo display. Doesn't mean they aren't out there, but I doubt they are as common as people are making them out to be.

I don't think people are making them out to be common, just that they are very good and arguably better than the Apple displays. Being in publishing I visit many other publishers and they are very popular in that space. Also very popular, the 'gold standard' if you will, for commercial photographers.

And I'm not criticising the Apple displays, they're probably very good.
  • Reply 89 of 92
    mocsegmocseg Posts: 86member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kakman View Post

I don't think people are making them out to be common, just that they are very good and arguably better than the Apple displays. Being in publishing I visit many other publishers and they are very popular in that space. Also very popular, the 'gold standard' if you will, for commercial photographers.

Pro Studios / color sensitive - print / VFX

Nec - spectraview series

Eizo - coloredge series
  • Reply 90 of 92
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kakman View Post

I see, yah I know I've heard the name quite a bit, just never witnessed one in real life. Usually see Lacie, NEC, HP / Dell IPS panels. I'm not a graphics artist, just what I've witnessed over the years.
  • Reply 91 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palple View Post

I'd like to see:

1) discrete graphic (this is a must for a pro)

2) high res screen (a retina display would be a dream)

3) ssd hard drive, with an option for an 1.8" internal microdrive

4) ethernet and usb3 ports

5) macbook air design, a little ticker

Intel's HD4000 integrated graphics would be fine for me, especially at an affordable price point. Dual drives, SSD and magnetic, would be nice too.

Will probably end up waiting for next-gen 13" with quadcore Haswell. 2006-era Core2Duo MacBook holding up surprisingly well for such an old machine.
  • Reply 92 of 92
    MacBook Air 2013 is assume laptop with great battery life and fast performance
    Website Development Company in Delhi