Apple launches iTunes section for Retina Display-ready iPad apps

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014

In preparation of the upcoming Friday launch of its new iPad, Apple on Thursday put together a list of 24 apps that best utilize the new tablet's high resolution Retina Display.

Since the new iOS software development kit was released in early March, app makers have been busy updating and submitting software that can take advantage of the high resolution screen found on Apple's third-generation iPad.

Just hours before its newest iPad is scheduled to launch, Apple has gathered together 24 of the best and most popular apps that support the tabelet's Retina Display. The selected apps can be browsed and purchased through , or if a user already owns a previous version of the software it can be directly downloaded from the iPad's App Store app.

Standout apps include Tweetbot, which boasts full Retina Display compatibility and a new streaming option, and two of the apps demoed at Apple's iPad-centric special event; SketchBook Pro, the Autodesk drawing app and Namco's new game, Sky Gambler's: Air Supremacy.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    I see Real Racing 2 says it runs at the full 2048x1536 WITH 4x AA. That's really impressive, it ran at 1080p without any upscaling on the iPad 2 through the HDMI-out. I can't wait to try the various games.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    My launch-day iPad just got delivered an hour ago. The display is awesome! Can't wait to get home and sync my apps.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    What? No Angry Birds apps yet?
  • Reply 4 of 19
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

What? No Angry Birds apps yet?

In all seriousness I'm excited for Angry Birds Space and hope that it's Retina Display ready by the it launches on March 22. I have gotten 3 stars and found all golden eggs in their main game. That was a huge time investment but for $1.99 well worth the money.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Mine launch-day iPad just got delivered an hour ago. The display is awesome! Can't wait to get home and sync my apps.

Mine finally made it to San Jose after taking a 5 day site seeing tour in Alaska. Looks like it will be here on time after all
  • Reply 6 of 19
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    I'm hoping my app gets approved soon now that's it's iPad Retina ready! http://onsongapp.com/
  • Reply 7 of 19
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Angry Birds Space better be Retina enabled when it launches on the 22nd.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

In all seriousness I'm excited for Angry Birds Space and hope that it's Retina Display ready by the it launches on March 22. I have gotten 3 stars and found all golden eggs in their main game. That was a huge time investment but for $1.99 well worth the money.

LOL, I see you're a fan too

I have all three Angry Birds games on my iPhone (Original, Rio, Seasons). I've got three stars in every single level (including the recently released Mt. Fuji episode in seasons).

I plan on just buying Angry Birds Space for my incoming iPad; don't see the need to buy both the iPad and iPhone versions.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

LOL, I see you're a fan too

I have all three Angry Birds games on my iPhone (Original, Rio, Seasons). I've got three stars in every single level (including the recently released Mt. Fuji episode in seasons).

I plan on just buying Angry Birds Space for my incoming iPad; don't see the need to buy both the iPad and iPhone versions.

Oh yeah. I don't care if people call us "hardcore lamers" it's fun and challenging. The perfect game to play while waiting in line in the bank or at a red light (I didn't just say that).

I have Rio and Seasons but haven't completed them. I fond seasons to be particularly hard, especially in Winter. Though Birthday was also challenging on the regular game.

Anyway, the new gravitational element for Space looks great. A whole new dimension to consider.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Oh yeah. I don't care if people call us "hardcore lamers" it's fun and challenging. The perfect game to play while waiting in line in the bank or at a red light (I didn't just say that).

I have Rio and Seasons but haven't completed them. I fond seasons to be particularly hard, especially in Winter. Though Birthday was also challenging on the regular game.

Anyway, the new gravitational element for Space looks great. A whole new dimension to consider.

I think they're great games, but I have to admit, I did miss a few pineapples, banannas, etc. with some of them, I just can't figure out how we're supposed to get them. Three stars is easy as long as you're willing to take the time. The first time I played the original version, I didn't realize there were special powers when you tapped the screen. I got through it anyway, but boy was it frustrating!
  • Reply 11 of 19
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    RealRacing 2 HD: 444 mb. Oof.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Good to see the guys at the earlu edition 2 are up for it.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

RealRacing 2 HD: 444 mb. Oof.

The previous version was 402MB so 444MB isn't really a big change. You can attribute that to the additional languages added and not because of the retina display. I doubt the install of it is much more than the previous version either (810MB).
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusicComposer View Post

The previous version was 402MB so 444MB isn't really a big change. You can attribute that to the additional languages added and not because of the retina display. I doubt the install of it is much more than the previous version either (810MB).

I've wondering about the size differences and any additional languages. Thanks.

PS: I thought with iOS 5 developers could offer incremental updates. Am I wrong on that front? (I'd hate to wrong twice in the same day. )
  • Reply 15 of 19
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:

Oh, wow. I didn't realize that. Hmmm... maybe the switch to retina display versions of apps won't be so rough on an iPads storage space after all.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:

I've wondering about the size differences and any additional languages. Thanks.

PS: I thought with iOS 5 developers could offer incremental updates. Am I wrong on that front? (I'd hate to wrong twice in the same day. )

@SolipsismX I thought they could as well but I'm not really sure on that.

@2oh1 2D games/apps will increase in size much more than 3D games if all the developers are doing is kicking them up to the new retina resolution. The 2D app download sizes may seem to increase a lot on the app store but hopefully each iPad only installs what it needs. For example, if you're on the iPad 2 it won't need the high-res artwork so it won't install it. Likewise if you're on the new iPad you won't need the lower-res artwork. These download size increases may be a bit deceiving. We'll know more tomorrow I'm sure.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Labyrinth 2 HD???

The Retina-display iPad apps should be called "3K" to distinguish them from regular iPad apps, which were originally called "HD" (even though they were closer to 720p HD in total pixels than 1080p).
  • Reply 18 of 19
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I haven't installed any of these 3rd party apps yet but am really enjoying Google Maps satellite view on the Retina display. Also first time I saw the retina home screen it blew me away.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 602member
    Quote:

The 2D app download sizes may seem to increase a lot on the app store but hopefully each iPad only installs what it needs. For example, if you're on the iPad 2 it won't need the high-res artwork so it won't install it. Likewise if you're on the new iPad you won't need the lower-res artwork.

Not likely to happen. It will depend if it's a universal app or not. A universal app might contain all the graphics for iPhone3, iPhone4, iPad2, & new iPad. Remember that people share their apps within their family so I can download a universal app on my iPad and put it on a couple of iPhones too (free of charge).