Customers, press amass for launch of Apple's new iPad

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Waiting in line, talking, joking -- is an excellent opportunity to get genuine opinions about a product/company in which you are heavily invested... And, in its own way, it's fun!

Hmmm... I am not so sure. Couldn't you just go to a bar and find someone there to talk to? You could do all of the above while being waited upon with alcohol of your choice. And then you can fall asleep in your bed after you have drunkenly ordered the top of the line iPad....
  • Reply 62 of 70
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    At 8:10 AM I drove past my local ATT and Bestbuy to check for lines...

ATT = 0

Bestbuy = roped area with 3 people

Not all locations get the crowds. The Apple store is 1 hour south and I am sure there was a line there.

Tom
  • Reply 63 of 70
    gyorpbgyorpb Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

Steve Wozniak - Apple co-founder - lines up for hours with 'the people' to get his iPad?

The guy is a total weirdo.
    Quote:

Oh man, that is fantastic!!!

Indeed.

.tsooJ
  • Reply 64 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Hmmm... I am not so sure. Couldn't you just go to a bar and find someone there to talk to? You could do all of the above while being waited upon with alcohol of your choice. And then you can fall asleep in your bed after you have drunkenly ordered the top of the line iPad....

But, that's what I do on a normal day... this is a special occasion!
  • Reply 65 of 70
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

At 8:10 AM I drove past my local ATT and Bestbuy to check for lines...

ATT = 0

Bestbuy = roped area with 3 people

Not all locations get the crowds. The Apple store is 1 hour south and I am sure there was a line there.

Tom

From what I've heard from a friend he just got back from buying his at the Applestore in Zurich and there wasn't any lines. The store was full but no more then usual. I wonder if everybody new. Best case scenario because those who wanted iPad's got them. Yay no mass hysteria over a mediocre update.
  • Reply 66 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

From what I've heard from a friend he just got back from buying his at the Applestore in Zurich and there wasn't any lines. The store was full but no more then usual. I wonder if everybody new. Best case scenario because those who wanted iPad's got them. Yay no mass hysteria over a mediocre update.

Here's what some developers say about your so-called "mediocre update"...

From the developer demos at the new iPad announcement:

Quote:

Chris Cheung - Sketchbook Product Line Manager

2 1/2 years ago Sketchbook became Autodesk's first breakthrough app on iOS -- and it had a profound impact on our company.

Today we have 15 Autodesk titles on the app store that have been downloaded more than 20 million times

Let me put that in perspective -- in our 29 year history Autodesk has become a leader in software with over 10 million professional customers on desktop.

With iOS we have been able to reach 10s of millions of new users in only 2 years.

It's amazing!

Today, I'm excited to show you something new? with the help of Lawrence Yang, I want to introduce Sketchbook Ink.

[Demo]

Autodesk Sketchbook Ink will be available this April, exclusively on iOS.

Thank you very much.

Quote:

Namco - Games Design Director - James Shelton

[demo]

Sky Gamblers Air Supremacy launches exclusively on iOS later this month!

Quote:

Infinity Blade Dungeons

Epic Games - Mike Capps President of Epic games

[demo]

? And you could see during that closeup how the unreal engine is unleashing the power of the new iPad for just unparalleled character detail and environment.

I mean, If you think about it, ah, this new device actually has more memory and more screen resolution than an XBox 360 or a Playstation 3. These guys are redefining movie gaming -- again!

? And it's only going to look like this and play like this on the new iPad.

• Reply 67 of 70
    tommcintommcin Posts: 108member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

He was portrayed as sort of a kid in Isaacson's book. He definitely seems to have retained that innocence.

Don't overlook the point that Woz's wife was first in line. Now that is a relationship.
  • Reply 68 of 70
    oneaburnsoneaburns Posts: 354member
    I love Woz. Even though he co-founded one of the most successful tech company of all time and is loaded, he seems to be just a regular guy enjoying his retirement.

Btw, one of the things I'm noticing most while surfing on my new iPad is how low resolution some icons and pics are on the web. Looks like webmasters are going to need to update their stuff!
  • Reply 69 of 70
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

Steve Wozniak - Apple co-founder - lines up for hours with 'the people' to get his iPad?

Oh man, that is fantastic!!!

What an inspiration and an exemplary attitude for eschewing favouritism and nepotism.

1. There's no proof he could just get one straight from Apple. It's possible that he can't but he's not mentioning that detail

2. Even if he can, he doesn't get all free press and attention that way. It is possible that he does the line etc for that, which is why he always manages to get photographed etc. As he says, he could just order it online/pre-order it.

Woz was a co-founder of Apple but frankly he hasn't done anything for the company is ages. Except get attention due to that association. He seems to use it every chance he gets for attention and acknowledgement. Any actual anything that he's done since he left Apple always seems brief and is tinted with "co founder of Apple" because that thing isn't enough on its own. He often comments on things Apple that he should be keeping his mouth shut in accordance with Apple's desire to have no one but official Apple speaking for the company and lets face it as a co-founder common folks often think his personal comments are Apple comments when it comes to Apple stuff. Especially when 'co founder of Apple' is right there by his name.

I'm sure he's a lovely person but it is time for him to move on and either get out of the limelight or use something else to get it.
  • Reply 70 of 70