Lines for launch of Apple's new iPad declared 'better than expected'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Looks like backlight bleed is back again per the people over at Mac Rumors Hopefully my iPad which on the Fedex truck as we speak isn't stricken with this problem:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1341323

Maybe that one is an LG screen and not a Samsung screen?

Apple has had mucho problems with screens on several different devices.
  • Reply 22 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jeff Gagne View Post

May I ask, what state are you in,,?

State of euphoria.
  • Reply 23 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

State of euphoria.

Thanks for the info, jeez
  • Reply 24 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

State of euphoria.

I saw that coming...
  • Reply 25 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClassicGuy View Post

Now I'm thinking that maybe I should have braved the stores... FedEx says it's on the truck, out for delivery... BUT there is a delivery exception to "future delivery," so it has only a half red bar on "in transit." AND expected delivery has been charged from "by 3:00 PM" to "by 10:00 PM."

A buddy of mine ordered one for his wife's birthday and it was shipped UPS and he already received it. He got it around 10:00am EST and he called and said the UPS driver told him that he had 150 and they're supposed to deliver by 10:30. Mine is coming FedEx and it still shows by 3:00pm. Hope that doesn't change.
  • Reply 26 of 69
    Quote:

Thanks for the info, jeez

Just joking around. Hopefully grabowcp will be helpful (unlike myself).
  • Reply 27 of 69
    Quote:

May I ask, what state are you in,,?

District of Columbia.
  • Reply 28 of 69
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Looks like backlight bleed is back again per the people over at Mac Rumors Hopefully my iPad which on the Fedex truck as we speak isn't stricken with this problem:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1341323

On a black one? Noooooo!

I hope to god not - last year it was just white ones and therefore I ordered black this time. I hade to return a white one 3X last time. I would have thought a new type of screen would have ceased this problem. My fingers are crossed.
  • Reply 29 of 69
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

What do you mean by "better"? Honest question, as I suspect that there could be some ambiguity in values. The best line I know has 0 people in it...

Yeah, the entire headline is worthless without saying what "better" means.

To me, "better" means short lines.

To APPL investors, "better" means long lines.
  • Reply 30 of 69
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    WOOT! Mine was just delivered!
  • Reply 31 of 69
    Picked my pre-ordered IPad from my local Apple retail store this morning. First Ipad for me and new to it all. Expected large line but was probably 75 people 45 min before opening. Very well organized outside the store with employees coffee cart and of course the local TV news trucks. They asked if any one had pre-ordered, after saying yes I was taken to the beginning of the second line in front of the store. At 8:00 oclock I was welcomed as the first customer in the store for my pick-up. Very efficient inside as well, paperwork (took extended warranty) was completed in 5 min, then spent 35 minutes with another employee doing the initial start up and then setting up e-mail, apps, some free downloads etc. Walked out of store at 8:40am. Great experience. Zagg keyboard and cover just arrived by UPS, time to set-up bluetooth.
  • Reply 32 of 69
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oomu View Post

no line for me

I just ordered it.

Wonder if he knew that folks could preorder online and pickup on the store. Since it is paid for they can show up anytime, so less need to be there at the top of the day
  • Reply 33 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

I'm not at all surprised and it's not about losing interest. It's a tablet, not a phone and unsubsidized so the upfront costs are higher. Look how many millions of people JUST bought the iPad2 through the holidays. You honestly think the average person is going to run out and buy the newerish one launch weekend because the screen may be a little better? It's no doubt going to be a runaway success, in time, this go around. I'd very much assume the majority of sales are still first time tablet buyers.

Correct, I and all my friends who pre-ordered are first time Retina Display iPad buyers. We all also have iPad 1, 2 or both.
  • Reply 34 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I'm wondering how many 1st generation buyers will be getting the 3rd generation iPad. I know of at least 2 people in that camp... myself and a friend of mine. So there's 2 sales you can count in the previous buyer's list.

Oh I expect a lot of iPad 1 upgrades. I'd bet almost half of the base still using one will move to the 3 in the next 6 months.
  • Reply 35 of 69
    rrobrrrobr Posts: 28member
    Got to the Apple store on 4th Street in Berkeley 10 minutes before opening. About 20 people were there and I stood in line, in the rain, for 20 minutes before getting my iPad. Like with the longer line for the iPhone 4s last October, it was a bit of a party atmosphere with free coffee and umbrellas for those who wanted them.

OK, Samsung, run your silly commercial again, but I bet you only wish people would stand in line in the rain for anything you make!
  • Reply 36 of 69
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Haha two dolts on Fox Business just asked the question if it was time to upgrade to the new iPad and both of them said absolutely not. Neither of these were tech geeks so I don't get what exactly they want to make them upgrade? It has retina display, 4G LTE, dictation and faster graphics. What exactly are they expecting?
  • Reply 37 of 69
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I would no be surprised to find that Apple had over a million reserved for pre-order. Probably we over that considering the number of countries it was released in. So I'm going to suggest a much bigger first day movement, let's say 2.5 million.

As it is mine was put on the truck at 6:56 AM and I haven't gotten it yet. 😖. That is delivery by UPS! So if Apple split the workload evenly that would mean 900 thousand iPads for delivery in the US via Pre-order assuming the 450,000 rumor through FedX is accurate. Considering all the countries released in my estimate may be low.

It will most interesting to hear Apple announce the totals Monday.
  • Reply 38 of 69
    tenzotenzo Posts: 27member
    Just got mine from best buy..32g wifi

Line wasn't too long...

Alot of stock left...

All 4g ones were sold out though....

Doesn't look like apple is having the supply constraints this time around...

I was surprised to even get one.
  • Reply 39 of 69
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:

750 people in line at the flagship Fifth Avenue Store, compared to 1,190 for the iPad 2 last year.

Samsung is already working on a commercial mocking this decrease.

"Hahaha, we trended upwards: We went from 4 to 8, that's a 100% increase. Take that!"
  • Reply 40 of 69
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Haha two dolts on Fox Business just asked the question if it was time to upgrade to the new iPad and both of them said absolutely not. Neither of these were tech geeks so I don't get what exactly they want to make them upgrade? It has retina display, 4G LTE, dictation and faster graphics. What exactly are they expecting?

Look at it this way the iPad 4 will be as big a step as the 3, that doesn't make the 3 a bad buy or a bad upgrade. It is really a question of is your current device good enough for you. Maybe it is or isn't but it cuts at their credibility to make absolute statements.