First look: Apple's new third-generation iPad with Retina display

Comments

• Reply 21 of 307
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    So where's the rest of the article Dan? I expected pages 2 and 3. Anyway good to read a few preliminary words on the ipad. I can't wait to get my hands on this baby, retina display with sharp text is a dream come true for me, shame on the storage though because apple arguably could and should have offered more.

Quote:

It lacks the wow-factor of Siri on the iPhone 4S

It will also hear a lot less eff you siri said back to it though.
  • Reply 22 of 307
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Typical fashion. You people crack me up...
  • Reply 23 of 307
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freddy V View Post

The article states "The box and packaging for the new iPad is largely the same as its predecessor. In fact, the biggest change is a silver iCloud logo on the bottom of the box, opposite the silver Apple logo displayed on the other side."

Sorry, but the silver iCloud logo was also on the box of the iPad 2. The store where I work as an Apple-Certified Macintosh Technician still has iPad 2's in stock, and I'm looking at one right now. They had the logo there as soon as iOS 5.0 first came out.

They probably changed packaging since icloud debuted. My launch day iPad 2's box doesn't have the logo on it
  • Reply 24 of 307
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arrclight View Post

Any insight as to whether cases from iPad 2 fit well for the new one?

As the article stated the Apple smart cover fits, but that's not the dimension that grew larger, that's the thickness. So it's going to depend on how forgiving the specs are on the older case you have in mind. I faced the opposite problem when I went from an iPhone 3Gs to a 4, my Vaja case all of a sudden held the phone "loosely", so I tucked the microfiber cloth behind it and viola: held it (and my current 4s) quite nicely. The length and width didn't cause problems, it was the thinner form factor of the 4 series versus the 3... Since the iPad is thicker a case that was tight on the 2 might not have the slack to accept one.
  • Reply 25 of 307
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

so I tucked the microfiber cloth behind it and viola: held it (and my current 4s) quite nicely.

I only had room for a ukulele behind my iphone 4. How did you fit a viola?
  • Reply 26 of 307
    Finally got mine.

It took all discipline not to grin like an idiot, jump up and down, throw a football victory dance and scream "I'm the king of the world".

I think the FedEx guy still somehow knew though, judging from the way he smirked. I must have been just the hundredth geek he delivered this mysterious brown box today.

Oh, BTW, I can't tell if it's heavier than my iPad 2. Too bad I sold it already, so I can't compare now.
  • Reply 27 of 307
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    Received mine this morning- screen's amazing, but I've never used an iPad before so I have nothing to compare it to. It looks like my iPod touch 4g's retina display, so in comparison to upgrading my 1g touch, I can understand the difference. It looks like I am holding a tablet with a printed high resolution photo layered on top that is also backlit. You really can not see pixels, even when pressing your eyes against it!

In regards to file sizes ballooning, I found this article to be very relieving:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-57...col;topStories

Verizon connection is showing 3 bars in my apartment, and I am lucky to get any service at all on any other carrier, except T-Mobile, which gives me 1 bar and is usable. I'm not worried about using LTE in my apartment, but it is relieving to know the signal strength appears very strong.

The graphics card is quite zippy- Google Earth runs fairly smoothly when scrolling around in zoomed out mode. It seems to keep up well with the refreshes and renderings.

The camera appears to be good for what I will use it for in my profession. It is not great though and lacks some level of sharpness. It does appear to be a good replacement for I took a few stills to compare low light, natural light, and mixed light settings:

The screen already has a lot of smudges on it- Apple didn't even include a cleaning cloth with it

I guess cleaning this thing is something I will have to get use to.

Overall:

The display!! The display!!!
  • Reply 28 of 307
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    The Fed Ex guy rang my bell about 30 minutes ago. I was ready, so I quickly went downstairs and when he handed over the package, he was smiling and said "You seem eager to be getting this package." I laughed and replied "Yeah, and I'm pretty sure that you know what's inside the package too". The Fed Ex guy laughed back and said "Yep, I sure do.".

Anyway, here's my real quick, preliminary thoughts after having used the iPad for about 5 minutes.

Holy shit! Somebody help me! Quick, somebody call a whambulance!

I 'm having a freaking eyegasm over here

I just tested out Safari real quick and text is indeed so fucking sharp. I also opened up iBooks and same thing there, the text is crazy sharp. I didn't really mind reading any books on my iPad 2, but now, there is just no comparison. It's laser sharp. There were also a bunch of new app updates today I noticed, so later on I'll be testing some of the apps which I have that got a retina upgrade today, like Real Racing 2 HD.

I also kept my iPad 2, so now I can sync both iPads up and I'll be jamming with myself later on in Garageband.
  • Reply 29 of 307
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I just tested out Safari real quick and text is indeed so fucking sharp. I also opened up iBooks and same thing there, the text is crazy sharp. I didn't really mind reading any books on my iPad 2, but now, there is just no comparison. It's laser sharp. There were also a bunch of new app updates today I noticed, so later on I'll be testing some of the apps which I have that got a retina upgrade today, like Real Racing 2 HD.

Just one question: Does the display's sharpness change with each app or is there actually a difference between fucking sharp, crazy sharp and laser sharp?
  • Reply 30 of 307
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I feel the same way about the camera. Very useable but not all the great. It has to be very bright for it it took take good pictures.
  • Reply 31 of 307
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

^ That goes against the "insider" name. Blurry cam effects makes you more legitimate.

They should post them all from inside an elevator.
  • Reply 32 of 307
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

I'm guessing you don't mean this type of discharge:
  • Reply 33 of 307
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Just one question: Does the display's sharpness change with each app or is there actually a difference between fucking sharp, crazy sharp and laser sharp?

Well, not all apps have it yet, that's why I opened up Safari and iBooks first, because I knew that those two apps were good to go.

As for the different degrees of sharpness, let's just say that it looks pretty damn amazing.
  • Reply 34 of 307
    sword7sword7 Posts: 3member
    Mine arrived here by Fedex 30 minutes ago. I successfully registered it and it is now up and running.... iTunes is now copying all apps into my iPad......

Sword7
  • Reply 35 of 307
    Amazing is an understatement. It's worth an OM*G I can't believe it's this sharp!

Quote:

As for the different degrees of sharpness, let's just say that it looks pretty damn amazing.

It's not just sharp. Native iPad retina icons have very jewel like quality to them.
  • Reply 36 of 307
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Given how Google Earth looks on my 4s I can't wait for how that'll look on the iPad!
  • Reply 37 of 307
    You guys are a bunch of show offs...

I have a feeling my FedEx guy is parked someplace drooling over my iPad.
  • Reply 38 of 307
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    Quote:

The Fed Ex guy rang my bell about 30 minutes ago. I was ready, so I quickly went downstairs and when he handed over the package, he was smiling and said "You seem eager to be getting this package." I laughed and replied "Yeah, and I'm pretty sure that you know what's inside the package too". The Fed Ex guy laughed back and said "Yep, I sure do.".

Anyway, here's my real quick, preliminary thoughts after having used the iPad for about 5 minutes.

Holy shit! Somebody help me! Quick, somebody call a whambulance!

I also kept my iPad 2, so now I can sync both iPads up and I'll be jamming with myself later on in Garageband.

I'm really surprised you are so excited about your new iPad delivery. My new iPad also came this morning. I wasn't dancing at the door waiting for the FedEx guy so we didn't have the same jovial exchange of excitement. It was pretty boring actually.

Anyway, so I promptly opened the packaging and fired 'er up. First thing I notice during boot is that from the onset this doesn't feel much different than the iPad 2. Also, the magic of the previous iPad openings was mostly lost. It has been a few months since I sold my 2, so it was good to hold one again, but none of that "zomg this thing is sexy" feelings.

Once I got through activation (why is there activation for wifi model again?), my not-so-mind-blowing experience continued. Since I didn't have much time to play with it, I opened up Safari and loaded a page. Pretty sharp, looks good. But still, this is pretty much the same experience. Next up, took some photos and a brief video. Not impressed. No big deal, I'll never use the camera anyway.

So after checking out all of the new features, I was left feeling kind of meh about it. I'm sure I'll enjoy the better display, but I am left feeling disappointed. The magic is gone from my previous experiences.
  • Reply 39 of 307
    Has anyone noticed the difference in the dock conector size? I tried to plug my ipad 2 charging cable into the ipad 3 and it wouldn't fit. The ipad 3 connector looks the same but has a very secure feel to the plugin.
  • Reply 40 of 307
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

I'm really surprised you are so excited about your new iPad delivery. My new iPad also came this morning. I wasn't dancing at the door waiting for the FedEx guy so we didn't have the same jovial exchange of excitement. It was pretty boring actually.

Anyway, so I promptly opened the packaging and fired 'er up. First thing I notice during boot is that from the onset this doesn't feel much different than the iPad 2. Also, the magic of the previous iPad openings was mostly lost. It has been a few months since I sold my 2, so it was good to hold one again, but none of that "zomg this thing is sexy" feelings.

Once I got through activation (why is there activation for wifi model again?), my not-so-mind-blowing experience continued. Since I didn't have much time to play with it, I opened up Safari and loaded a page. Pretty sharp, looks good. But still, this is pretty much the same experience. Next up, took some photos and a brief video. Not impressed. No big deal, I'll never use the camera anyway.

So after checking out all of the new features, I was left feeling kind of meh about it. I'm sure I'll enjoy the better display, but I am left feeling disappointed. The magic is gone from my previous experiences.

Sell it like you did your ipad 2... I don't know why you bought it. You said your $99 touchpad is more usable anyway.