Apple releases OS X Mountain Lion Developer Preview 2

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014

Apple has released to developers its second developer preview of OS X Mountain Lion, one month after making the initial build available.

In the last four weeks, Apple has focused on readying a series of new or enhanced features in its desktop operating system, ranging from the entirely new Game Center to tweaks such as the move of Notes from Mail into a standalone app of its own, mirroring how notes are handled on iOS.

Apple warns that some features in the new DP2 build, referred to as 4F134, such as Screen Sharing, have changed enough during development to make VNC remote screen sharing sessions currently incompatible with earlier versions of OS X.

A variety of other OS X Mountain Lion features have been enhanced or built upon, including support for 64-bit software.

The new version of OS X now requires a 64-bit kernel, something that will require kernel extensions (including many device drivers) to support 64-bit operation.

The new release will also be restricted to running on machines that support running a 64-bit kernel, including, minimally:

\tiMac (mid 2007 or later)

\tMacBook (13-inch Aluminum, 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)

\tMacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later), (15-inch, 2.4/2.2 GHz), (17-inch, Late 2007 or later)

\tMacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)

\tMac Mini (Early 2009 or later)

\tMac Pro (Early 2008 or later)

\tXserve (Early 2009)

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    The last white imac's c2d doesn't support running a 64bit kernel? Sounds strange...
  • Reply 2 of 25
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

The last white imac's c2d doesn't support running a 64bit kernel? Sounds strange...

It's not just about the CPU. The whole motherboard chipset has to support booting a 64bit OS.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

It's not just about the CPU. The whole motherboard chipset has to support booting a 64bit OS.

Got it. Thanks!
  • Reply 4 of 25
    jukesjukes Posts: 213member
    Quote:

I seem to remember that there was something about the chipsets that were being used in the c2d machines that prevented a 64bit kernel. Maybe they only supported 32-bit physical addressing in supervisor mode or something? I'm sure it's out there, but google is failing me at the moment.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    My MBP really likes Lion so I'm hoping Mountain Lion goes in the right direction. I like what has been revealed so far.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Those 2006 17", 20" and 24" iMac srange from using Intel GMA 950, ATI Radeon X1600, NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT, and NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT. These would need 64-bit drivers/kexts to work. At least two are definitely 32-bit.

One can check to see if they kernel ca run in 64-bit with Startup Mode Selector.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jukes View Post

I seem to remember that there was something about the chipsets that were being used in the c2d machines that prevented a 64bit kernel. Maybe they only supported 32-bit physical addressing in supervisor mode or something? I'm sure it's out there, but google is failing me at the moment.

All drivers/kexts have to be 64-bit to use the 64-biit kernel.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    Thats the grip about the first and second gen Mac Pros, versions 1,1 and 1,2. They will both support firmware upgrades that would let them boot in full 64 bit mode. The only thing holding them back is apple writing a firmware update and a 64 bit kernel version for them.

The Dev forums are full of developers wondering why they don't.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

Thats the grip about the first and second gen Mac Pros, versions 1,1 and 1,2. They will both support firmware upgrades that would let them boot in full 64 bit mode. The only thing holding them back is apple writing a firmware update and a 64 bit kernel version for them.

The Dev forums are full of developers wondering why they don't.

Get a grip. You're talking about a 2006 model Mac Pro. Enjoy until the power supply burns out and invest in a newer system.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Get a grip. You're talking about a 2006 model Mac Pro. Enjoy until the power supply burns out and invest in a newer system.

That Pro machine will probably run 20 years. It is not going to burn up anytime soon.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Those 2006 17", 20" and 24" iMac srange from using Intel GMA 950, ATI Radeon X1600, NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT, and NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT. These would need 64-bit drivers/kexts to work. At least two are definitely 32-bit.

One can check to see if they kernel ca run in 64-bit with Startup Mode Selector.

Cool, thanks.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    get it at immortalmods.com
  • Reply 13 of 25
    So, does AirPlay Mirroring now work with the latest release version iOS 5.1 (9B179b) on Apple TV, or does it still require an older beta?!

Does AirPlay Mirroring work on a mid-2009 17" MBP?

TIA!
  • Reply 14 of 25
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Apple, please don't make screen sharing incompatible with earlier versions. Screen sharing through iChat is a godsend for anyone who has to remotely troubleshoot their relatives' computers, many of which can not be upgraded to Mountain Lion.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Now it asks you if you want to allow an app to access your contacts. It's about time this is being addressed in a desktop OS but is it enough? How much freedom do apps have to peruse your user folders?
  • Reply 16 of 25
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Now it asks you if you want to allow an app to access your contacts. It's about time this is being addressed in a desktop OS but is it enough? How much freedom do apps have to peruse your user folders?

Apple should buy Little Snitch and incorporate it into OS X and a light version into iOS.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    UAC is coming.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Loptimist View Post

UAC is coming.

And the FUD is already here. Get over it.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Loptimist View Post

UAC is coming.

UAC is a joke. What Apple is doing is nothing like UAC.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Has anyone been able to get iCloud Safari Tabs working? Could someone explain how this feature could be useful?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple should buy Little Snitch and incorporate it into OS X and a light version into iOS.

I don't think that's something Apple would do for two reasons. One, I don't think there is any IP that would needed to mirror what Little Snitch does that Apple doesn't already possess. Two, while for you and I seeing all the different incoming and outgoing connections is useful most won't understand them so this would just complicate Apple's user friendly design.