New York Times removes fabricated Mike Daisey allegations in Apple Chinese factory story

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gimpyviper View Post

What a f'n douchebag. The WORST thing he could have ever done for workers rights. In his zeal to smear Apple, one of the better companies, he ruins any chance to draw light on the companies that do need to have a light shined on them. Way to go dick head.

Very true. Now any real reports will be tainted with questions.

And this on top of ignoring the other 70 or so clients of Foxconn and similar companies. There was perhaps 3 articles about Microsoft's 100 worker protest earlier this year. Unlike the dozen or so Apple employees which might have been conditions or might have other stresses, these folks straight up called out their conditions as the reason they were ready to jump
  • Reply 22 of 80
    buzzzbuzzz Posts: 84member
    Unfortunately in today's wired world, stories like Mr Daisey's usually develops a life of it's own because there are so many people who wants to believe them.
  • Reply 23 of 80
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

This is what I've been saying all along. Those douchebag activists are a bunch of lying scumbags and the NYT is a prime example of shitty, liberal journalism.

NYT isn't alone at fault here, and give them some credit for correcting their error. How many people got fooled by James Frey and his book A Million Little Pieces?
  • Reply 24 of 80
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    A quote from Ira Glass' blog: "On this week's episode of This American Life, we will devote the entire hour to detailing the errors in 'Mr. Daisey Goes to the Apple Factory.'"

That's what I call being a class act. Too many of those who reported the story initially will do little more than offer an "Oops, our bad" retraction blurb.
  • Reply 25 of 80
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

This is the kind of fabricated crap that the right-wing does all the time. It is a shame that people who purport to stand up for ethics can act so unethically!

This is a blow not only to those who want to better the lives of the workers, but to all progressive movements.

A very sad day!

MSNBC is a right-wing network now?

This is what's so wrong with the leftism (which includes neo-conservatism) in this country - the end justifies the means.
  • Reply 26 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

MSNBC is a right-wing now?

Who said anything about MSNBC?
  • Reply 27 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

That's what I call being a class act. Too many of those who reported the story initially will do little more than offer an "Oops, our bad" retraction blurb.

Like the NYT who say "Questions have been raised about the truth of a paragraph.." when they should have said, "We now know that the facts in this paragraph were actually false." Daisey has admitted that they were false, he did not meet or talk to underage or maimed employees of Foxconn. It's so lame of the NYT to make it look like they are going above and beyond by removing the paragraph rather than it being the least they could do.
  • Reply 28 of 80
    We all know what happened to the workers who disappeared.

He ate them.
  • Reply 29 of 80
    [QUOTE=dasanman69;2074410]I saw that fat fuck spewing his incredulous lies on HBOs Bill Maher. It's amazing how these networks fall for sensationalistic journalism. They'll air just about anyone. Good thing I go by the motto "believe nothing you hear and half of what you see"[/QUOT

They favor in more ways than one.
  • Reply 30 of 80
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buzzz View Post

Unfortunately in today's wired world, stories like Mr Daisey's usually develops a life of it's own because there are so many people who wants to believe them.

There's a great blogger who talks about Internet lies and how they have a life of their own. Check out:

http://scienceprogressaction.org/int...online-idiocy/

or

http://scienceprogressaction.org/int...t-and-harvard/
  • Reply 31 of 80
    woodlinkwoodlink Posts: 198member
    Be careful fellow Apple Insider's

I was called out in a related thread (on this site) for calling protestors "douchebags" and "attention whores".

Folks get their feelings (or their right-wing-politically-correct-agendas) hurt pretty easy around here.

That said you can add this guy to the list of douche bag attention whores that are ganging up on Apple now.

• Reply 32 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LordJohnWhorfin View Post

We all know what happened to the workers who disappeared.

He ate them.

+1 to you sir.

"get in my belly"
  • Reply 33 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

Be careful fellow Apple Insider's

I was called out in a related thread (on this site) for calling protestors "douchebags" and "attention whores".

Folks get their feelings (or their right-wing-politically-correct-agendas) hurt pretty easy around here.

I think there are still some of us who prefer civil discourse. You can be passionate without being vulgar.

And I think Dalsey might get hired by Rupert Murdoch, probably at Fox.
  • Reply 34 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

Like the NYT who say "Questions have been raised about the truth of a paragraph.." when they should have said, "We now know that the facts in this paragraph were actually false." Daisey has admitted that they were false, he did not meet or talk to underage or maimed employees of Foxconn. It's so lame of the NYT to make it look like they are going above and beyond by removing the paragraph rather than it being the least they could do.

EXACTLY. Equal time is owed to correcting a story. That's why I was so impressed with Ira Glass.

I'm blown away by the fact that adults make entire careers out of doing the very same thing adults teach children not to do: tell lies. It's crazy. Politicians do it every day to support an agenda. So does a certain TV "news" outlet. It's wrong. If one can't honestly support a cause or belief, perhaps one needs to reconsider the validity of that belief.
  • Reply 35 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joeblowjapan View Post

I think there are still some of us who prefer civil discourse. You can be passionate without being vulgar.

It's interesting how our political views seem to color so much of what we see in the world.

To me this guy along with all of the "Ethical iPhone" protesters strike me as being mainly from the liberal mindset.
  • Reply 36 of 80
    bsgincbsginc Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

A quote from Ira Glass' blog: "On this week's episode of This American Life, we will devote the entire hour to detailing the errors in 'Mr. Daisey Goes to the Apple Factory.'"

Repeating this because class acts deserve extra recognition compared to Daisey's statement that he acted with "integrity." All I can add is that, if he did act with integrity, he's a minimalist for he maximized the lies.
  • Reply 37 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

This is the kind of fabricated crap that the right-wing does all the time. It is a shame that people who purport to stand up for ethics can act so unethically!

This is a blow not only to those who want to better the lives of the workers, but to all progressive movements.

A very sad day!

Indeed.
  • Reply 38 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

Wow this guy is the consummate liar. I just watched a video of him telling a news outlet that he saw all of these things in person, He out rite lied, even his translator says that the stories of hexane workers he spoke with and the guy who's hands were mangled by machinery were total lies.

Then he tries to portray his lies by saying its a play, lol its theater what a pompous ass.

"I'm an entertainer" is the new liars' rationale. Bill O'Reilly, Rush Limbaugh, Dr. Phil, Glen Beck use this lie all the time.

I'm sure there are more. Let's fill in the list of those who have used this line when their lies are exposed. No doubt this will be a long list.

The supposed value of free speech is hard to justify if acceptable free speech is blatant lying.

I , now vaguely, remember a 30 year-old Supreme Court case where the journalist was interviewing a psychologist whose opinions and character he did not agree with. I can not give a cite at this time. In his journal article of this interview, he wrote a quotation from the psychologist, which was written as " ........", not as a paraphrase of what the psychologist had said. However, under testimony, the journalist admitted that the psychologist didn't actually says those words, but this is what the psychologist had meant -- that is the journalist had simply summarized his interpretation, surrounded it with quotes that he attributed to the psychologist. The Supreme Court ultimately sided with the journalist agreeing that the journalist was protected by the 1st Amendment, and was not liable for inventing the quote and harming the psychologist's livelihood and respect of his peers.

What this case shows is that the Court will protect to the ultimate the intentional lies that are propagated, leaving all journalism subject to the loudest mouth. The old motto that the key to good journalism is to "know your ass from a hole in the ground" (I think from Ben Bradley of the Washington Post).

I don't see the value of lying, and the propagation of lies as facts. Only harm can come of that. Misinformation and asinine beliefs are quite prevalent enough that one should not have any problem gathering accurate quotes of idiotic comments without having to resort of fabrication.
  • Reply 39 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joeblowjapan View Post

I was being civil.

And what's vulgar is entirely subjective.

Thanks for playing.
  • Reply 40 of 80
    jbytesjbytes Posts: 33member
    Quote:

"Questions have been raised about the truth of a paragraph in the original version of this article that purported to talk about conditions at Apple?s factory in China..."

Interesting! I didn't know Apple owned a factory in China.