Mountain of iPad pre-orders cause shipment delays

Comments

• Reply 21 of 121
    thought i would get mine today. signed the pre-authorization and stuck it to the door. fedex guy voided it and left a delivery notice. if fedex won't accept the pre-authorization, why was it made available? guess i am stuck at home tomorrow.
  • Reply 22 of 121
    dancxgdancxg Posts: 36member
    My brother in law delivered 35 today. When I asked him if he had ever delivered 35 of the same item to different houses before he said "no, not even for big game/movie releases."
  • Reply 23 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michael_bluth View Post

thought i would get mine today. signed the pre-authorization and stuck it to the door. fedex guy voided it and left a delivery notice. if fedex won't accept the pre-authorization, why was it made available? guess i am stuck at home tomorrow.

The driver is not required to leave the package if there is a risk the package will be damaged (e.g., rain) or stolen.
  • Reply 24 of 121
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michael_bluth View Post

He did you a favor. Waiting an extra day is better than no iPad at all!
  • Reply 25 of 121
    aluopaluop Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

When I was a child, I was upset if I couldn't have something I wanted "right now". As a young person, I was anxious to get my heart's desire as soon as possible. As an adult with a fairly rich array of interests and activities to pursue, I read something like this and feel like I live in a country of children, excited about a mock Christmas waiting to get their toys. It is rather sad in it's shallowness, actually.

Hey old man, this is not about getting something "right now".

This is about promise and customer experience.

We were promised Mar 16 delivery on the order page and also on the Fedex tracking page.

We made arrangement based on this promise, but at the end we lost a whole day because of their bad arrangement.

This is a valid complaint.
  • Reply 26 of 121
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    The new iPads (box) make great frisbee's for the UPS and Fed Ex guys when delivering them.
  • Reply 27 of 121
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dancxg View Post

My brother in law delivered 35 today. When I asked him if he had ever delivered 35 of the same item to different houses before he said "no, not even for big game/movie releases."

Do you know how many deliveries in total he did today?
  • Reply 28 of 121
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Do you know how many deliveries in total he did today?

36. One Samsung Galaxy Tab. To a Samsung employee's mother in law's house.
  • Reply 29 of 121
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Mine won't ship before 4/3
  • Reply 30 of 121
    I did not pre-order I just stopped by a local Apple store and got one..there is no shortage..the store I got it was well stocked.
  • Reply 31 of 121
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

36. One Samsung Galaxy Tab. To a Samsung employee's mother in law's house.

Two of the 35 iPads must have been to the Samsung employee's house as well -- one for his use, and the other to crack open to start copying!
  • Reply 32 of 121
    Quote:

When I was a child, I was upset if I couldn't have something I wanted "right now". As a young person, I was anxious to get my heart's desire as soon as possible. As an adult with a fairly rich array of interests and activities to pursue, I read something like this and feel like I live in a country of children, excited about a mock Christmas waiting to get their toys. It is rather sad in it's shallowness, actually.

You wouldn't be saying that if you'd waited all day for a delivery that never came, when you could've been doing anything else.
  • Reply 33 of 121
    olafolaf Posts: 2member
    This is what my UPS tracking has showed for 40 hours:

Location\t Date\t Local Time\t Activity

Chengdu, China 03/15/2012\t 9:00 P.M.\t Arrival Scan

EPZ, China\t 03/15/2012\t 8:25 P.M.\t Departure Scan

EPZ, China 03/15/2012\t 7:27 P.M.\t Origin Scan

China\t 03/15/2012\t 7:46 A.M.\t Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Today (3/16), UPS said their tracking may not reflect where my and many other iPads actually

are, as often Scan info may be missing. They said our iPad may arrive today (didn't), or at the

latest by end-of-day Monday March 19th. I thought it's faster to travel from China to the US

going east (over Pacific) and not West (via Europe) so I sure hope UPS is correct.

We're still happy as we have Apple stock.
  • Reply 34 of 121
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    The tracker indicated that the truck was packed at around 6 in the morning. That is a good 12 hours. The driver looked like he had been sprinting all day. They must've sold huge a number of iPads today, well during the pre-release sale. The story appears to be the same all across the country, delivery trucks just packed with iPads.

Pretty amazing if you think about it.
  • Reply 35 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

Mine was left with the Valet in my building i went to pick it up they had 12 of them (you can tell by the box) sitting there, and those are just the ones that the people weren't home to get.

When the smoke all settles, I think the only people who won't receive a new iPad are those who don't have a shipping address. Even the snarky guy who hangs around lines of Apple product buyers with his Samsung Note has ordered one.
  • Reply 36 of 121
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

With so much stock I wonder if it means that the iPad isn't received as well as was hoped, or did they fix the production capacity?

I guess we'll see when we have the first weekend sales numbers

They fixed the production issue. This time around they ordered a sh1tload from Foxconn. They clearly learned from the iPhone 4S launch and others that they're always too conservative in producing enough for launch. This time around, it's the mother of all launches!
  • Reply 37 of 121
    Quote:

Actually, what was sad was your inability to find any joy of expectantcy in yourself and stand so much in judgement of others when they can...
  • Reply 38 of 121
    Interesting how Apple has sort of inverted the issue since the iPad 2 launch. There was no pre-order for the iPad 2 that got you a device on the launch day. So... GIANT lines at all the stores and very long waits. This time, pre-order was available right after announcement with the promise of delivery on launch day and the shipping infrastructure can't quite handle it, yet the lines at stores were shorter, and you can just go pick one up.

Not sure how to find a middle ground, but it looks like Apple was determined to have STOCK available this time around. They haven't been able to meet demand in the past. Presumably, if Apple can meet demand better, sales could be through the roof.

I'm curious how supplies really were. I felt pretty good about standing in line for my father-in-law to get the most expensive version. I'm sure some of those configurations are selling out in places, but I could be wrong.

Incidentally, he loved it. It's fun to see the values that people place on different aspects of the device. Their ailing vision and patience for tweaking minutiae is making the iPad a dream device for them.
  • Reply 39 of 121
    erpxerpx Posts: 24member
    Received mine at 1pm as scheduled. The FedEx guy said he was just 'walking the neighborhood', there were so many ordered on my street. He also said they were going to be delivering late into the evening. Houston TX
  • Reply 40 of 121
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    The one I ordered for my wife was delivered today around 1. The Fedex guy was practically out of breath from running up the stairs to my 3rd floor apartment and he was so glad that I was home so he didn't have to fill out a slip and leave it on my door. He told me the iPad was pretty much the only thing in his truck today and that it was like that for most other drivers as well. This was in Houston, Tx. also.

My wife loves it too. She's been on it almost non stop for the past 10 hours haha.