Solution: iPad 3 Smart Cover Sleep/Wake Feature Not Working

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A bunch of people have had problems with their third-party iPad cases and the new iPad 3. Even though many of the folio and leather style cases made for the iPad 2 fit the iPad 3 just fine, people are finding that all too often the smart cover sleep/wake feature isn't working properly.

I had just this experience with our new iPad 3s and two Maroo leather folio cases. One of the Maroo cases worked perfectly (on both iPads) while the other wouldn't active the auto sleep/wake when the cover was closed/open.

A little detective work with a magnet revealed the reason for the problem. I've posted the story and an HD video demonstration to my blog:

iPad 3 Smart Cover Sleep/Wake Feature Not Working

Hint: Polarity!!

Mark

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    A case manufacturer in the UK has confirmed my discovery of the magnetic polarity issue. I've updated my blog post with that information.

Mark
  • Reply 2 of 6
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I have the new iPad with Apple smart cover and have noticed that simply shifting the cover only a mm +- or even putting pressure on the magnet area can turn the device on and off without actually lifting the cover. If you were carrying the device in a briefcase I can see motion caused by rubbing against the something during walking or vibration of a bus or train could be activating the feature repeatedly thus using up your battery and putting undesired stress on the device.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Some cases do work even though Apple have been a bit naughty and shifted the magnets a few milimetres. Ours, for example (Aren't we smug )

http://www.thesnugg.com/ipad-3-cases...k-leather.aspx

Have a look
  • Reply 4 of 6
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lusily View Post

i have heard that new ipad smart cover not working with the new ipad......

Works perfectly well.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    augustyaaugustya Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Works perfectly well.

Does the Sleep/Wake feature also works with the Smart Cover on the New iPad ?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by augustya View Post

Does the Sleep/Wake feature also works with the Smart Cover on the New iPad ?

Of course! Have at it.