Artist changes Apple, Foxconn monologue after admitting falsehoods [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haar View Post

i think "Mr. Phatty"(Mike Daisey), should rename his show "The possible Agony and Heartbreak of the late Steve Jobs"...

"The possible Agony and Heartbreak of the late Steve Jobs*.

* Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental."
  • Reply 22 of 81
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

He must get his inspirations from Michael Moore.

More accurately from right wing fraud James O'Keefe who took down a great organization with a completely fake video then himself committed voter fraud in another video scam.
  • Reply 23 of 81
    alr26alr26 Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If it really was about the art then he shouldn't be changing his show.

ABSOLUTELY!! He's a fat turd!!
  • Reply 24 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

More accurately from right wing fraud James O'Keefe who took down a great organization with a completely fake video then himself committed voter fraud in another video scam.

What fake video? I've seen lots of stories about his videos being controversial, but fake... no. Can you please link to a legitimate news sources that details the fake video.

Or are you pulling a Mike Daisey?
  • Reply 25 of 81
    No offense to any of the members here, but I've always felt that bringing someone's physical features into an argument against someone lessens their point. It's easy to drag Mr Daisey's weight into this, but his 'story' has given us enough ammunition to not even involve his body in our attacks.

I'd love to see Apple sue him for defamation, but I feel that would only drag them down to his level. Hopefully, the court of public opinion has judged him in a way suiting his actions.
  • Reply 26 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I'm laughing out loud at this. Both because you think that Acorn was a great organization and at least as much because you believe they were completely fake. Neither of those is remotely true.
  • Reply 27 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

No offense to any of the members here, but I've always felt that bringing someone's physical features into an argument against someone lessens their point. It's easy to drag Mr Daisey's weight into this, but his 'story' has given us enough ammunition to not even involve his body in our attacks.

I'd love to see Apple sue him for defamation, but I feel that would only drag them down to his level. Hopefully, the court of public opinion has judged him in a way suiting his actions.

I agree. Besides note nothing if his obesity is due to a medical condition beyond his control or from gluttony and sloth any argument one that attacks his physical appearance is less for it.
  • Reply 28 of 81
    Why does Daisey suddenly care about the truth? The whole thing is a polemic against Apple anyway, sheesh. Just admit it's anti-Apple entertainment containing fabrications. No need to cut anything out.
  • Reply 29 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by markbyrn

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dbtinc View Post

could be ... both are two fat bas***ds who can't seem to separate fact, fiction and political leanings.

Thank you both for identifying yourselves as card-carrying members of the Fourth Reich. Comparing Mr. Moore to that lying slimeball is the epitome of right wing crap talk.

You've taken a critically important issue for Apple's future and dragged it in the mud for your own crass political purposes. To say I despise you both would put it mildly.

• Reply 30 of 81
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mKunert View Post

What fake video? I've seen lots of stories about his videos being controversial, but fake... no. Can you please link to a legitimate news sources that details the fake video.

Sure. Just as soon as all those deriding Michael Moore link to a legitimate news source that he is a liar.
  • Reply 31 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Sure. Just as soon as all those deriding Michael Moore link to a legitimate news source that he is a liar.

Mike Daisey and Michael Moore are as different as night and day, because Michael Moore is all about seeking out the lies of others while Mike Daisey is all about lying to support his own particular bias. In that regard, Mike Daisey is much more akin to Rush Limbaugh.

Of course, the political machinizations of the various modern-era brownshirts posting here and elsewhere wouldn't be served by making a correct comparison....
  • Reply 32 of 81
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbyrn

Thank you both for identifying yourselves as card-carrying members of the Fourth Reich. Comparing Mr. Moore to that lying slimeball is the epitome of right wing crap talk.

You've taken a critically important issue for Apple's future and dragged it in the mud for your own crass political purposes. To say I despise you both would put it mildly.

Sorry pal, I loathe the right wing crap talk as much as I loathe Michael Moore - equally vile and contemptible. If it will make you happy, I'll say that Mike Daisey also gets his inspirations from Rush Limbaugh. Limbuaugh, Moore, and Daisey are theatrical propagandists and any truth gets lost in the bombast.
  • Reply 33 of 81
    Quote:

Sorry pal, I loathe the right wing crap talk as much as I loathe Michael Moore - equally vile and contemptible. If it will make you happy, I'll say that Mike Daisey also gets his inspirations from Rush Limbaugh. Limbuaugh, Moore, and Daisey are theatrical propagandists and any truth gets lost in the bombast.

What'll make me happy is if you take your political claptrap to any of the multitudinous sites where it would be more appropriate.
  • Reply 34 of 81
    Deleted
  • Reply 35 of 81
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

After admitting on the "This American Life" radio program that he had fabricated some of his experiences for dramatic purposes, artist Mike Daisey has changed his monologue about Apple and its manufacturing partner Foxconn to remove anything he can't "stand behind."

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

So, apparently, now he just mimes???

BTW, there's plenty about the guy's approach to criticise, without basing your rebuttals on his weight. Commenting on his ample substance sorta reveals a lack of substance in your views, when you do so.
  • Reply 36 of 81
    I remember when an "artist" used to be someone who painted stuff.

I don't think we've seen a clearer case of libel in a long, long time. Purposefully misrepresented information and presented it as fact that has hurt Apple financially. No wonder the people around him are panicking, they know a giant monetary settlement is coming.
  • Reply 37 of 81
    bsgincbsginc Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Others have worked to bring the focus back on the plight of the workers, dismissing Daisey's inaccuracies as irrelevant to the issue of alleged labor abuses at Foxconn and other manufacturers in China.

Amazed that no one commented on the fact that the don't-bother-me-with-the facts-my-mind-is-made-up crowd is undeterred by truth. By ignoring facts, they weaken their position beyond the damage done by Daisey's falsehoods. I wonder, does the NYT qualify as an other with their weak modification to their original story? That's probably OK to keep on since Daisey seems to cling to the lies when he says his translator doesn't remember what he does. I guess calling her a liar would be too ironic!
  • Reply 38 of 81
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

What'll make me happy is if you take your political claptrap to any of the multitudinous sites where it would be more appropriate.

So you're saying that Apple's use of cheap labor in China via Foxconn is not a political issue? I beg to differ but it seems that many people bashing on Apple 'conveniently' forget that Apple is among among a vast multitude of corporations that use use labor in China and other developing countries. Also, it's not just computer technology; clothes, shoes, food, appliances, and so forth. Apple has indeed a political target for people like Daisey and Michael Moore if you read his website.
  • Reply 39 of 81

deleted

• Reply 40 of 81
    Quote:

So you're saying that Apple's use of cheap labor in China via Foxconn is not a political issue?

While it may be a political target by the people you mentioned Apple does not use Foxconn to manufacturer their products because it's a political issue, they use it because it substantially reduces the cost of their products at a given quality level.