Apple sold 3M iPads over launch weekend [u]

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

After announcing record sales of the third-generation iPad, Apple issued a statement that offers specific numbers regarding the tablet's performance since it debuted on March 16, revealing that three million units have been sold.

Update: This article has been updated to include discussion on whether Apple's numbers include preorders.

An official statement released by Apple on Monday validated an announcement made earlier by CEO Tim Cook during a conference call in which he claimed that the iPad enjoyed a record setting launch weekend.

During the early Monday call, which outlined a surprise stock dividend and buyback plan for the company's $100 billion cash hoard, Cook said that "[Apple] had a record weekend and we're thrilled with it," though the executive fell short of assigning concrete numbers to the claim.

“The new iPad is a blockbuster with three million sold―the strongest iPad launch yet,” Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing, said in the statement. “Customers are loving the incredible new features of iPad, including the stunning Retina display, and we can’t wait to get it into the hands of even more customers around the world this Friday.”

Because there was no mention made about presale numbers in Apple's prepared statement, it is unclear if any or all pre-ordered iPads were excluded from the 3 million units sold metric. It should be noted, however, that pre-ordered items are commonly not counted as sales until a transaction is complete and thus those iPads that are awaiting shipment were most likely not part of the final tally. For example, Apple did not include pre-sales in its breakdown of initial iPhone 4S sales in 2011.

The three day total represents a tenfold increase when compared to the 300,000 original iPad units sold on launch day in 2010. Although a day-by-day breakdown has not been revealed, initial projections estimated that Apple sold over 1 million units on the new device's launch day alone.

According to the statement, Apple managed to move the record number of iPads thanks to its largest simultaneous worldwide launch to date, which involved ten countries including US, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Switzerland, UK and the US Virgin Islands.

The newest iPad's rollout will continue with launches in 24 countries on March 23. Customers will be able to purchase the tablet at 8:00 a.m. through the online Apple Store, brick-and-mortar Apple Stores and authorized Apple resellers in Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Macau, Mexico, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.

Apple's report is concurrent with an announcement AT&T made on Monday stating that the new iPad set new single-day sales and activation records for the nation's number two wireless carrier.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 170
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    So that's a twofer-- giant sales numbers plus great supply chain management. Looks like ole Tim is up to the job...
  • Reply 2 of 170
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Wow! This is insane.
  • Reply 3 of 170
    davemcm76davemcm76 Posts: 268member
    Whoa momma - thats a lot of happy customers, and I'm one of them
  • Reply 4 of 170
    ko024ko024 Posts: 68member
    hahahahaha...!!! I am LOVING LIFE right now.... just wonderful....!!! $700 in less than a month...... and a couple new iPads to play with....
  • Reply 5 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

So that's a twofer-- giant sales numbers plus great supply chain management. Looks like ole Tim is up to the job...

That's better than I swagged -- I included iPad 2s in my estimate of 3 Million...

AAPL closed at $601.10... up after hours to $605.40.

Likely the new iPad announcement is responsible for the $4 + change.
  • Reply 6 of 170
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Hmm, my armchair guess was 1.9M for just Launch Day. Anyone have just Friday day numbers in those 10 countries?
  • Reply 7 of 170
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    3 million x $650 (ARP) = $1.95 billion

How many CE companies take in less revenue in 3 months than that in a quarter than Apple took in for one product in one 3 day weekend.
  • Reply 8 of 170
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member
    insanely great !
  • Reply 9 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

methinks Apple sold nowhere near 1 million new iPads. Demand sort of fizzled over here in Canada, that is to say that lots of people were lined up to buy them, but no one left empty handed and all the craigslist sales remain unsold. Either Apple fixed the supply problem or demand just wasn't what it was for iPad 2.

methinks one should eat ones hat
  • Reply 10 of 170
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    My prediction of 3-4 million was right!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Apple probably sold 3-4 million this weekend.

• Reply 11 of 170
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How many CE companies take in less revenue in 3 months than that in a quarter than Apple took in for one product in one 3 day weekend.

I wonder how the weekend's sales compare to total sales for some of the Android Tablets That Are Definitely Taking Over the Market Any Minute Now?

Seems like there's been some pretty sketchy numbers floated in the last month as to market share, that are getting repeated religiously without much sense of where they come from or how they're derived. I wonder if massive sales of the new iPad will tend to stifle such talk, or we'll keep hearing about this mysterious "60% market share" that Apple is apparently obliged to settle for.
  • Reply 12 of 170
    O.M.Fn.G.

That is all.
  • Reply 12 of 170
    bobringerbobringer Posts: 106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

methinks one should eat ones hat

I am to sexy for my hat?
  • Reply 14 of 170
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Damn!!! That's a lot of people for Samesung to make fun of!!!
  • Reply 15 of 170
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Hardly surprising.
  • Reply 16 of 170
    Amazing numbers.
  • Reply 17 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Hardly surprising.

I predict:

100 million iPads in 12 months.

$1000 per share by Dec 31.
  • Reply 18 of 170
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Yawn.

Minor update.

Doom.
  • Reply 19 of 170
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And at a lower profit margin I'd wager.
  • Reply 20 of 170
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

I predict:

100 million iPads in 12 months.

$1000 per share by Dec 31.

I am pretty bullish but that's a bit extreme.

Would love to be proven wrong though.