Apple sold 3M iPads over launch weekend [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 170
    Wow, I thought I was going pretty danged far out on the proverbial limb when I predicted 3-4 million iPads sold during the first weekend.

The sales curve of the iPad is greater than iPhone. Whoa!
  • Reply 22 of 170
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

3 million x $650 (ARP) = $1.95 billion

How many CE companies take in less revenue in 3 months than that in a quarter than Apple took in for one product in one 3 day weekend.

Gotta make money to pay out that dividend!
  • Reply 23 of 170
    Three million iPads is impossible. There were claims that the crowds were thinner than tissue paper. Some said that there were more store employees than iPad buyers at Apple retail stores. The NEW iPad is supposedly barely a minor update to the iPad 2 and considered a major disappointment by the tech geniuses who hold court over the consumer tech industry. I'm sure there were claims that most consumers were going to hold off buying iPads in order to buy Windows 8 tablets in November. I saw articles that gave 20 reasons for consumers not to upgrade to the NEW iPad. Kindle Fires are supposed to be majorly stealing market share from the iPad. Three million iPads sold in a weekend? No way.

/s
  • Reply 24 of 170
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

My prediction of 3-4 million was right!

I almost made it within my 500k window. I suppose next time I'll have to widen it.From now on all my estimates have a margin or error of infinity.
  • Reply 25 of 170
    Notice how Apple boldly says "sold"?

Not some weasel-y word like "shipped"?

Lovin' it!
  • Reply 26 of 170
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Doomed! Beleaguered! Shut it down and return the money to the stockholders!1! They should have licensed OS X! Where's the X Mac?!?! Switching to Windows!
  • Reply 27 of 170
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I definitely picked the right wrong time to sell my AAPL a few weeks ago.
  • Reply 28 of 170
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

And at a lower profit margin I'd wager.

Unless you are Tim Cook, I wouldn't take that bet.
  • Reply 29 of 170
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Ouch!!!
  • Reply 30 of 170
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

On the plus side (if one could call it that) if the economy tanks again, you might be in a good position to load up again.
  • Reply 31 of 170
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The three day total represents a tenfold increase when compared to the 300,000 iPad 2 units sold on launch day in 2010.

Typo: This should be "first generation iPad" not "iPad 2." The iPad 2 sold 1 million units during its opening weekend:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...72D30020110314
  • Reply 32 of 170
    ka47ka47 Posts: 25member
    Corrupt Russia doesn't even have an Apple store.
  • Reply 33 of 170
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    The rest of the month includes all the folks that wanted to get a look at one in store before buying, people who figured they'd let the hysteria die down before bothering, and a big worldwide rollout in a bunch more countries. Any guesses on what sale will be by April? Or for the quarter?
  • Reply 34 of 170
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

After announcing record sales of the third-generation iPad, Apple has issued a statement that offers specific numbers regarding the tablet's performance since it debuted on March 16, saying that some 3 million copies were sold.

Yes but how many genuine ones were sold? Seriously, what a number!
  • Reply 35 of 170
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    The ipad hype machine certain was in overdrive wasn't it and fooled a lot of folks into buying one. Not that I mind however my apple stock is doing really well.

I took my iPad2 and displayed some retina quality pics on it and compared it with my co-worker's brand spanking new iPad3 today.

Guess what I couldn't really see enough difference in the display to justify upgrading any time soon. The only feature missing is the microphone to dictate voice into text. We tried it out and it produced a lot of mistakes.

My take - if you own a iPad2 don't hold your breath, and now an iPad2 is $100 cheaper to compete with the "goggle" tablet when it comes out! (deliberate typo)

I think I'll wait another year for the next iPad with the A6 processor and Siri(hopefully)
  • Reply 36 of 170
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member
    Does it include all pre-orders on the weekend that aren't shipped yet?
  • Reply 37 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

They said 3M sold, so I would think that pre-orders were included in that number.

Wow, just wow. Go Apple go!
  • Reply 38 of 170
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Don't you just love it when you're right??!!
  • Reply 39 of 170
    Quote:

I keep thinking it's a good time to sell mine, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I mean, there's gotta be a correction at some point, right? Right? It's been on an incredible run this year.
  • Reply 40 of 170
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

They said 3M sold, so I would think that pre-orders were included in that number.

Wow, just wow. Go Apple go!

But he said, "aren't shipped". Typically the sale hasn't taken place until the unit is prepared for shipping at which point the sale has been charged to your account then that would be counted. I would expect any pre-ordered that have not collected fees and can be easily canceled without having to do a chargeback as not being counted.