Apple sold 3M iPads over launch weekend [u]

Comments

• Reply 61 of 170
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

USA, England, Australia, France, Germany, I think. It should have been an option during the setup process. It will ask you if you want to use dictation and it tells you that your voice data is sent to Apple. Not sure how you would turn it on if you selected "don't use dictation" during setup.

Hey, you guys always forget us, and Switzerland. No, no sure forget us were just like the most stable economy on the planet right now. Granted no one lives here but still don't piss us off or no more chocolate and Smart cars for you.

In fact our stores were selling them on Thursday night at 12:01 am, oh wait that's Friday, whatever we were first.

Oh wait my husband just smacked me in on the back of my head. No he asked a friend of his who works at a undisclosed Mac store in cough Zurich to sell him one on early Friday morning because I'm in the hospital for the unseen future. So sorry they were released the sametime as everywhere else. Except for mine, hahahahah, yeah but I'm real sick, cough, cough, see, so you should have pity on me.

Note to self lay of the pain meds.
  • Reply 62 of 170
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Ten million by the end of the month.

25 more countries coming on board this Friday and supplies don't look to be choked in the US so I don't think that is out of the question.
  • Reply 63 of 170
    vinitaboyvinitaboy Posts: 156member
    But, but, but . . . Rob Enderle just said in a TV interview that Apple is abut to have a really terrible quarter, and THAT is the reason for the dividend and stock buy-back strategy announced today! Rob said so! It must be true! [Sarcasm]
  • Reply 64 of 170
    Do those sales figures Apple releases include pre-sales, third-party retailer and online purchases or just Apple retail store purchases?
  • Reply 65 of 170
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

Are you crazy?! Don't sell AAPL yet. Look at how amazing the growth has been even before Apple truly incorporates the living room into iOS. When a real Apple TV set is released along with an Apple TV app store, the stock will go insane. I still believe the stock has nowhere to go but up.

I think you are commiting a serious mistake think the stock has anywhere to go but up, perhaps in short to medium term, I wouldn't gamble more than 10% of my portfolio in one stock. IF you have you WILL get burned one day, don't come crying here when it happens.
  • Reply 66 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jinjo235 View Post

Do those sales figures Apple releases include pre-sales, third-party retailer and online purchases or just Apple retail store purchases?

I think that it includes all of the above.

I can't think of why it would be unreasonable to include them all.
  • Reply 67 of 170
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I am actually considering buying some more -- gonna watch a few days and let the effects of today's news kick in.

AIR, Apple had sold 45 million iPads through December... somewhere in these announcements a figure of 55 million iPads sold to date (before the new iPad) -- that means that Apple could easily hit 15 million iPads this quarter... and who knows for the rest of the calendar year...

With that in mind, and the continued success of the Mac and iPhone -- along with the [presumed] greater appeal of AAPL to investors... $700 looks pretty doable in a month or two -- that's >= 10% appreciation over today's close.

...Just thinking out loud...

I've been opening more long option positions all year, mostly LEAPs but also a few May plays to catch April earnings.

To me there is far more upside. Especially when you look at the P/E compared to the usual suspects, Google, Amazon and Netflix. And Cisco back when it had the biggest cap.

Even if they don't come out with a big time TV the expansion of iPhone and iPad into new markets is enough to drive us north from here. And think of the enterprise. What IT manager is going to deploy any tablet other than iPads at this point?

I see Apple right now as just getting started with what MS had way back when. But now Apple is both MS and Intel. There are so many positives to this story - I think anyone shorting aapl would be crazy today. If they miss in April, ok, they'll have a few rough months. But the long term is very clear to me.

At some point MS is going to have an iPad competitor on the market. But as a consumer, if you've been frustrated with MS for over a decade are you going to say "I'll give them one more chance," - or are you going to say "It's time to see what else is out there?"

The dividend is just gravy. I'm staying long and making all I can while Apple is hitting everything.
  • Reply 68 of 170
    Good going, Apple. Another step closer to world dominance in the post-PC era... There'll be around 150 million iPads out there before MS comes out with the Windows 8 tablets while Android tablets continue getting buried as they stumble out of the starting gate.
  • Reply 69 of 170
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I wonder how the weekend's sales compare to total sales for some of the Android Tablets That Are Definitely Taking Over the Market Any Minute Now?

Seems like there's been some pretty sketchy numbers floated in the last month as to market share, that are getting repeated religiously without much sense of where they come from or how they're derived. I wonder if massive sales of the new iPad will tend to stifle such talk, or we'll keep hearing about this mysterious "60% market share" that Apple is apparently obliged to settle for.

It's pretty easy to come to that figure. I don't understand how you missed it.

Take the numbers Apple says they sold. Then take the numbers that some companies say they shipped. Then take the estimates for the numbers shipped for the rest of them that don't say anything, assume that all of that is sold, and Voilá, instant marketshare. Comprendé?
  • Reply 70 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

After announcing record sales of the third-generation iPad, Apple issued a statement that offers specific numbers regarding the tablet's performance since it debuted on March 16, saying that some 3 million copies were sold not including pre-orders.

The Apple Press Release states: ?The new iPad is a blockbuster with three million sold―the strongest iPad launch yet,? said Philip Schiller

Therefore, I think pre-orders, even those not yet shipped, are being included.
  • Reply 71 of 170
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Damn!!! That's a lot of people for Samesung to make fun of!!!

Tim took care of that with massive inventory, multiple outlets and preorders. How is Samsung going to spin that one? Ha Ha! Look no lines. It is a flop!
  • Reply 72 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

The ipad hype machine certain was in overdrive wasn't it and fooled a lot of folks into buying one. Not that I mind however my apple stock is doing really well.

I took my iPad2 and displayed some retina quality pics on it and compared it with my co-worker's brand spanking new iPad3 today.

Guess what I couldn't really see enough difference in the display to justify upgrading any time soon. The only feature missing is the microphone to dictate voice into text. We tried it out and it produced a lot of mistakes.

My take - if you own a iPad2 don't hold your breath, and now an iPad2 is $100 cheaper to compete with the "goggle" tablet when it comes out! (deliberate typo)

I think I'll wait another year for the next iPad with the A6 processor and Siri(hopefully)

That's funky. The screen is much better, and it's pretty obvious. It's hard to back to the 2 after having used the new one for a short while.

And dictation is very accurate as reported by just about everyone, as well as my own finding and that of my friends.

Something is wrong there.
  • Reply 73 of 170
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brianloftus View Post

The Apple Press Release states: ?The new iPad is a blockbuster with three million sold―the strongest iPad launch yet,? said Philip Schiller

Does the 3M include iPads shipped to re-sellers that haven't been sold yet? How does Apple define sold?
  • Reply 74 of 170
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

The ipad hype machine certain was in overdrive wasn't it and fooled a lot of folks into buying one. Not that I mind however my apple stock is doing really well.

I took my iPad2 and displayed some retina quality pics on it and compared it with my co-worker's brand spanking new iPad3 today.

Guess what I couldn't really see enough difference in the display to justify upgrading any time soon. The only feature missing is the microphone to dictate voice into text. We tried it out and it produced a lot of mistakes.

My take - if you own a iPad2 don't hold your breath, and now an iPad2 is $100 cheaper to compete with the "goggle" tablet when it comes out! (deliberate typo)

I think I'll wait another year for the next iPad with the A6 processor and Siri(hopefully)

What an idiotic post, defining anyone who bought the new iPad as being 'fooled'. What specifically did Apple fool or lie to people about? I'll be waiting for that response. And contrary to your silly anecdotal 'evidence', pretty much every professional reviewer expressed complete awe and hyperbole at the display, so the fact hat you might be close to blind doesn't really say much about the product. The display is better than what Apple has stated, and is easily the best display I've ever seen. It impresses me each and every time I look at it. A random example from the verge editor, who's an Android fan and who's favorite phone is a Samsung Galaxy Nexus:

Quote:

Yes, this display is outrageous. It's stunning. It's incredible. I'm not being hyperbolic or exaggerative when I say it is easily the most beautiful computer display I have ever looked at. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that you hold this in your hands, or maybe it's the technology that Apple is utilizing, or maybe it's the responsiveness of iOS — but there's something almost bizarre about how good this screen is. After the launch event, I described the screen as "surreal," and I still think that's a pretty good fit.

Here's some more: http://gizmodo.com/5893431/new-ipad-...hort-answeryes

But yeah, have fun waiting another year. Good job not being 'fooled'. You're clearly too clever for Apple's sneaky ways. While you're at it, stop mocking those that aren't blind. Makes you look stupid.
  • Reply 75 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

What makes this one really difficult is that Apple really doesn't have any real competition. Microsoft and the Android copy-machines have pretty much kept a wait-and-see approach with little-or-no real R&D effort going in to challenge Apple. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

As Tim Cook said, only 9% of smartphones are iPhones. That represents a huge opportunity for growth. The same can be said for their OSX-computers as well.

As it stands, Apple has so much potential for growth, and the competition is continuing to stay in the corners.

I'm still in for a while more. Bought a bunch of AAPL when it tanked back in 2008 and held steadfastly to them.

Only 9% of cellphone sales are iPhones, about 20% of smartphone sales are I

Phones.
  • Reply 76 of 170
    Quote:

The Apple Press Release states: “The new iPad is a blockbuster with three million sold―the strongest iPad launch yet,” said Philip Schiller

I suspect that pre-orders that still can be cancelled (not charged to your CC) are not counted as shipped.

Apple is pretty exacting about [an SVP] giving out sold numbers -- as when ownership changes hands or payment is received (or due on account).

So, I would think that, from Apple, Sold means:

-- sold, processing and shipped through Apple's online store (on order is not counted)

-- sold to customers through Apple Stick and Stucco stores (Apple Store inventory is not counted)

-- sold or in transit to 3rd-party resellers (whether sold to end users or not)

• Reply 77 of 170
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

The only feature missing is the microphone to dictate voice into text. We tried it out and it produced a lot of mistakes.

I thought it worked pretty well for me, in English. However we use a lot of Spanish words and Spanish Location names mixed in our English, I think Siri needs an option button to hold down if you are using two languages at the same time. Many International business people must also need this.
  • Reply 78 of 170
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

But the first sentence of the article says "not including pre-orders".
  • Reply 79 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I am actually considering buying some more -- gonna watch a few days and let the effects of today's news kick in.

AIR, Apple had sold 45 million iPads through December... somewhere in these announcements a figure of 55 million iPads sold to date (before the new iPad) -- that means that Apple could easily hit 15 million iPads this quarter... and who knows for the rest of the calendar year...

With that in mind, and the continued success of the Mac and iPhone -- along with the [presumed] greater appeal of AAPL to investors... $700 looks pretty doable in a month or two -- that's >= 10% appreciation over today's close.

...Just thinking out loud...

I don't think they'll hit 15 this quarter as people have been waiting for the new one, and there isn't that much time left, though more than last year. It could be over 10, possibly higher.
  • Reply 80 of 170
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    You write:

Quote:

... saying that some 3 million copies were sold not including pre-orders.

I am not sure that the figure really excludes pre-orders.

The official announcement states:

"CUPERTINO, California―March 19, 2012―Apple® today announced it has sold three million of its incredible new iPad®, since its launch on Friday, March 16."

Technically this does say sold since its launch which agrees with your interpretation. However, one could argue that since pre-orders are delivered on the launch date (supposedly), that they are also sales in that time frame. Otherwise, why did they not tell the number of pre-orders as well?

So while I agree with you on a strict interpretation - I think this issue is a bit ambiguous.