Infrared test shows new iPad running 10 degrees hotter than iPad 2

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

So why then isn't the Tegra 3, burning people's finger prints off? 4 "Huge" GPU's plus I would guess 4 "Huge" CPU's, but wait, there's a fifth... oh, and if you look at other blogs, I guess it has 12 cores.

An Android tablet could have 48 cores, and it would still suck beyond all belief. What does the amount of cores have to do with anything?

Didn't the iPad beat the Tegra 3 in certain benchmarks? DIdn't the iPad 2 beat the Tegra 3 in certain benchmarks too? I don't know how the Tegra runs temperature wise, but if it runs cooler, then maybe they should jack up the speed somewhat, because it blows.
  • Reply 22 of 80
    hakimehakime Posts: 42member
    Why people are always trying to make things up when it comes to Apple?

The test with GLBenchmark is basically stressing the GPU so why a hell is it surprising that you measure higher temperatures for a GPU with two times the number of cores. A5 and A5X are both built in 45 nanometers so it's just physics that the A5X GPU runs hotter. What's surprising? It is of course designed to sustain higher temperatures and you make sound that the difference is higher by using Fahrenheits instead of Celsius (by the way why can't US just use SI units?). In Celsius it is a mere 5ºC difference. Again given the vastly more GPU resources in the A5X, those are completely predictable results.

Look here, the comparison between A4, A5 and A5X, the GPU inside the A5X is massive. This beast creates heat when you ask it to sing.

http://www.chipworks.com/en/technica...-is-beautiful/
  • Reply 23 of 80
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Not just Americans. At least Americans own* it while Britons have some wonky usage where they use Fahrenheit in the Summer to exaggerate the temperature.

It is rather odd that the since France started metrication in the late 1700s that the nearly all the world has adopted it except, inarguably, the most powerful nation on the planet. That seems rather odd to me but if the UK can't get on board and they are part of the EU would chance do 350 million Staunch Americans have.

PS: i used Fahrenheit because that is the 10 degrees noted in the article, though oddly omitted from the title.

* Own, as in make use of it fully, not a pronouncement that we invented it. That title goes to geman physicist Gabriel Daniel Fahrenheit.

Just to help you out, the last trip I took to England they asked me how many "Stones" I was. I heard it quite often in London, and apparently it's commonly used.

*Stones is apparently a STILL used metric of weight in England.
  • Reply 24 of 80
    Quote:

What model are you using to compare them? The results from the Tegra 3 showed it was mostly inline with the iPad 2's GPU performance. Are you just looking at cores?

Note that Apple's A5X is about 4x the area of the Tegra 3 which includes RAM on the package. I think you are seriously under estimating what is required to fun this display.

I was making a rhetorical statement about why it shouldn't be, and at the same time asking for a similar demonstration from the competing chip.

As for why I was even asking, if you study the architecture, it thought it involves power reduction for equal tasks. Depending on how deep you read and how much you believe, it goes to 1-16th of the power.

I may have misinterpreted...

http://www.arm.com/products/processo...hitectures.php
  • Reply 25 of 80
    hakimehakime Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

iPhone 4 - Antenna-gate

iPhone 4s - Battery-gate

iPad 3 - Heat-gate?

None of them existed....
  • Reply 26 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

An Android tablet could have 48 cores, and it would still suck beyond all belief. What does the amount of cores have to do with anything?

Didn't the iPad beat the Tegra 3 in certain benchmarks? DIdn't the iPad 2 beat the Tegra 3 in certain benchmarks too? I don't know how the Tegra runs temperature wise, but if it runs cooler, then maybe they should jack up the speed somewhat, because it blows.

I think this discussion started with HEAT generated by the processors. Glad you brought it to this level.

"I had to remove what was typed here"
  • Reply 27 of 80
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parksgm View Post

Well, with three million sold on launch, I think it was already fair to call the new iPad "hot".

:-)

Maybe it's because people have finally gotten them in their HOT little hands!
  • Reply 28 of 80
    jumperjumper Posts: 34member
    Quote:

That bottom-left corner (bottom right in photo) definitely gets warm to the touch. The simple solution is to rotate the iPad 180 degrees.

I'm surprised that it's only 10 degrees Fahrenheit. I had never noticed the previous iPads getting warm and this one can get uncomfortable.

You are kidding right.... you need to find something to do with all the time on your hands. I've been using the New Ipad for the past few days and you can barely feel the warmth.
  • Reply 29 of 80
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Here's where the benefits of an advanced process would have been necessary. 45nm is so 2009.
  • Reply 30 of 80
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jumper View Post

You are kidding right...

Of course not. This article backs up my experiences with the new iPad.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Here's where the benefits of an advanced process would have been necessary. 45nm is so 2009.

Difference architectures don't all migrate at the same time. As seen in the AnandTech article below only now in 2012 will we start seeing mass produced processors built on a smaller lithography. This simply wasn't an option for the iPad unless you wanted to wait until at least the Summer for Apple to get quantity.

PS: In 2009 the iPhone 3GS was released with a 65nm Cortex-A8.
  • Reply 31 of 80
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I have had a new iPad since launch day. The only time it has felt warm is when charging from the wall. In normal usage or when charging from USB it feels like cool metal to the touch. That said, I have not been pushing the GPU.

Edit: and it's not just a little bit warm when plugged in to the wall, but noticeably so.
  • Reply 32 of 80
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    It's lower than body temperature, it's lower than the temperature I set my shower at.

I believe the correct description would be tepid.
  • Reply 33 of 80
    Quote:

Just to help you out, the last trip I took to England they asked me how many "Stones" I was. I heard it quite often in London, and apparently it's commonly used.

Yep we're not fully onboard yet although measurements seem to have taken hold now Millimetres and Centimetres - although most people still know feet and inches.

We use miles too - all out road signs are in miles and beer is served in pints! We also have yards of ale!!

Metric is more efficient i think - but we love nostalgia here and we don't really like change lol.

I must admit when I saw the iPad was 10 degrees hotter I though 10 degrees celsius which would have been significantly hotter.
  • Reply 34 of 80
    Quote:

So why then isn't the Tegra 3, burning people's finger prints off? 4 "Huge" GPU's plus I would guess 4 "Huge" CPU's, but wait, there's a fifth... oh, and if you look at other blogs, I guess it has 12 cores.

Tegra 3 features a low performance GPU that is sub iPad2 level. The current iPad is even a bigger beast. Performance brings heat. However, you always have the option of buying Android garbage that runs cooler if that is what matters to you.

• Reply 35 of 80
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Is there any evidence that the type of cover used causes significant additional heat retention? I am about to get my first iPad and I was planning to pick my cover on the basis of ergonomics, protection and looks (in that order). Do I need to add heat retention to that mix?
  • Reply 36 of 80
    When i read this I tried running it hot with chess engines, LTE streaming etc. Feels cool to the touch regardless.
  • Reply 37 of 80
    So what's the final consensus? Can we make toast? Warm muffins?

If so, it's just another great feature of a versatile device.
  • Reply 38 of 80
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    What's a Farhenheit? Somehow related to SF books maybe?

Signed: an European
  • Reply 39 of 80
    knightlieknightlie Posts: 282member
    Quote:

1 Stone = 14 Pounds.
  • Reply 40 of 80
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

What's a Farhenheit? Somehow related to SF books maybe?

Signed: an European

Please don't embaress me, just kidding. The iPad does get very warm ok hot even after playing a game like Modern Combat 3 for more then 40 mins. I noticed this last Sunday but that was the only time. Everyday use not so much, I think just when your pushing it, then it gets a little uncomfortable.