iPad growth accelerates to 156%, tablet sales to 'measurably' exceed PCs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

What goes around comes around. There's an article over at c|net wondering whether Apple will produce an iTunes app for Windows 8 (PC and Mobile) and how the lack of iTunes may have a negative impact on Microsoft tablet sales. This could be a bargaining tool to get Office on the iPad.

Microsoft will just develop their own system... oh, wait...
  • Reply 22 of 72
    Quote:

What goes around comes around. There's an article over at c|net wondering whether Apple will produce an iTunes app for Windows 8 (PC and Mobile) and how the lack of iTunes may have a negative impact on Microsoft tablet sales. This could be a bargaining tool to get Office on the iPad.

Office for the iPad has already been spotted in the wild according to The Daily. Considering Microsoft loves to make money I'd guess they come out with it regardless of what Apple does.

I highly doubt Apple will come out with iTunes for a Microsoft tablet since you don't connect any device to it. Could be wrong but we'll see.

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2012/02...h-apps-office/
  • Reply 23 of 72
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Yes, there's certainly been a shift. However my iPad can still only handle about 40% of my day job. So I can't call it a PC replace-r by an stretch.

Like you, there is stuff I do in my "day job" that requires a PC (or 27" iMac in my case). However, when I'm away from work, the iPad does everything I need. I routinely use it in places I never took a MacBook.

And the post pc era brings computing to people who don't need to do what you do in your day job. The iPad does everything 80% of people want or need from a computer, is easier to learn and more convenient to use than any PC. And can do it from pretty much anywhere.

That's why they sell like crazy and why they will eventually outsell PCs.
  • Reply 24 of 72
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Microsoft will just develop their own system... oh, wait...

Yea, I was going to say, how have I been downloading all my apps for Windows 8 Consumer Preview. I'm really looking forward to the ARM version though, that's going to be sweet. I hope Nokia chooses to use the same incredible body as the Lumia 800 & 900 for their tablet series, I'll be all over that in heart beat.
  • Reply 25 of 72
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

Like you, there is stuff I do in my "day job" that requires a PC (or 27" iMac in my case). However, when I'm away from work, the iPad does everything I need. I routinely use it in places I never took a MacBook.

And the post pc era brings computing to people who don't need to do what you do in your day job. The iPad does everything 80% of people want or need from a computer, is easier to learn and more convenient to use than any PC. And can do it from pretty much anywhere.

That's why they sell like crazy and why they will eventually outsell PCs.

I still think the iPad is to big to be considered really portable. It stays at home docked to my Alesis dock, where I need it for my music creation brain. I use a Samsung Galaxy Note and a Galaxy 7.7 for my ultra portable needs, standard purse computer equipment.
  • Reply 26 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soundvision View Post

I highly doubt Apple will come out with iTunes for a Microsoft tablet since you don't connect any device to it. Could be wrong but we'll see.

You are actually wrong here, Windows 8 tablets will have standard USB ports.
  • Reply 27 of 72
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    There is no such thing as the Post-PC era. It's total marketing BS. The PC simply evolves over time into various shapes and sizes, the latest being the tablet format. The iPad is a PC. I don't see many people replacing their desktop or laptop with a tablet PC. I suspect the vast majority of people buying the iPad already have another computer and the iPad is their second computer, which makes for a very large target market.
  • Reply 28 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Yea, I was going to say, how have I been downloading all my apps for Windows 8 Consumer Preview. I'm really looking forward to the ARM version though, that's going to be sweet. I hope Nokia chooses to use the same incredible body as the Lumia 800 & 900 for their tablet series, I'll be all over that in heart beat.

... and then you won't have to come back to this board. You can start your bullshit over on the Win 8 forum.
  • Reply 29 of 72
    Quote:

But I'm preaching to the choir aren't I.

The choir and the converts
  • Reply 30 of 72
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I still think the iPad is to big to be considered really portable. It stays at home docked to my Alesis dock, where I need it for my music creation brain. I use a Samsung Galaxy Note and a Galaxy 7.7 for my ultra portable needs, standard purse computer equipment.

I've been thinking about buying the Galaxy Note. How do you find it? I like the way it neatly fits into a jacket pocket and Apple just doesn't make anything in that space at the moment otherwise I would have bought it. I could wait forever for Apple to make something like this. How do you transfer docs/notes between it and your Mac? When I asked in the store they said you can't upgrade the OS so I've been waiting for it to come with 4.0. I use Evernote and Dropbox to avoid moving files around all the time. Do you know how it works with them?
  • Reply 31 of 72
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Not quite yet, and not quite completely, but almost.

IMO, the "all purpose" computing device will fade, in favor of many different "Most purpose" devices.

For example, if you are going to the beach, you'll take the beat-up old tablet with 4G with the screen that works well in the sun. Same for the morning commute, but if the one with the e-ink display is at hand, you'll be OK with it.

On the couch, you might grab your big tablet with the good screen. The kids will have their favorites, but when the grown-ups are around, they will have to settle for one of the older tablets. The game play will not be as good, but them's the breaks.

The idea of having only one main source of access to the 'web (like a desktop used to be) will seem quaint.

LOL, I already do that now
  • Reply 32 of 72
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

This.

Compare the tech landscape of 5 years ago to today. HUGE difference.

5 years ago today we still had over 3 months before the iPhone would arrive. We didn't even have a release date by this point.
  • Reply 33 of 72
    Quote:

You are actually wrong here, Windows 8 tablets will have standard USB ports.

Let me rephrase what I meant.

What I meant was that none of Apple's products will need to connect to the Windows 8 tablet so I don't see a need for iTunes. iTunes was created for Windows to hook up iPods.

In no way was I commenting on what ports it will have.
  • Reply 34 of 72
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Back to the topic. The iPad's adoption rate is staggering. My MacBook Air, which I really enjoy, has taken a backseat to the iPad.

I take it everyday to school/hospital. It handles 100% of my workload as a student. It's easily the most popular device deployed throughout hospitals here(other than the iPhone). If any of you study/work in the medical field, you know what I'm talking about. Its growth rate is just crazy.
  • Reply 35 of 72
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:

Comparing Open Office to Office is akin to Android Tablets to the iPad.

What part of "work with Oracle on a 'BETTER' mobile Open Office" wasn't clear?
  • Reply 36 of 72
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Just face it. The iPad is the future, and it's here now. Anybody who disagrees is a caveman.
  • Reply 37 of 72
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:

Well the article is about surpassing PC sales in this whole so called 'post PC' era, which I never understood anyway, but I digress.

Sigh... Post PC is not synonymous with No PC. Nice overreacting.

PCs (Mac or Windows) aren't going away, but for a large number of pople the will no longer be the automatic first - or only - choice.
  • Reply 38 of 72
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Sigh... Post PC is not synonymous with No PC. Nice overreacting.

PCs (Mac or Windows) aren't going away, but for a large number of pople the will no longer be the automatic first - or only - choice.

Well explained ... however, it's seemingly more 'post' for PCs than Macs (I use the term PC to mean a Wintel Box) looking at the trends.
  • Reply 39 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Just face it. The iPad is the future, and it's here now. Anybody who disagrees is a caveman.

Anyone who disagrees, please grunt!
  • Reply 40 of 72
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I've been thinking about buying the Galaxy Note. How do you find it?

Look in the dustbin of also rans.