'iTunes Producer 2.6' shows up in OS X Lion Software Update

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014


Some users of OS X 10.7 Lion began receiving notifications on Tuesday that a mysterious new application named "iTunes Producer 2.6" is available for download.



The appearance of the software has come as a surprise for many who have never previously installed any "iTunes Producer" software. Its inclusion in Software Update is likely an error on Apple's part.



The application is Apple's proprietary encoding software that allows content owners to create and sell content on Apple's iTunes Store. It is a 69.8-megabyte download through Software Update.



Prior to Tuesday's error, iTunes Producer was only available to download for content providers and those who have access through the iTunes Connect portal.



Apple does offer the free iBooks Author tool to those who want to create iBooks titles and submit them to the iBookstore for free. But titles sold on the iBookstore do require a separate ISBN number, which can cost more than $100 to obtain for a single title.











The full release notes for the application follow:

Quote:

Now you can look up metadata using multiple Vendor IDs simultaneously

For delivery issues, Send to Apple now supports entering notes

For music, the following are now supported:

Alert tones

Customizable territory groupings for rights and pricing

Improved user interface for adding and editing translations

For books, the following are now supported:

Target Audience, Pre-Order Start Date, and Series Display Number using the "New from file" feature

Expanded language list



[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

  • andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Whoops. Somebody's in trouble this morning....
  • prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Some users of OS X 10.7 Lion began receiving notifications on Tuesday that a mysterious new application named "iTunes Producer 2.6" is available for download. ...



    I was confused when this showed up this morning, but I'm almost certain it has to do with whether you have ever downloaded and used the iPhone configuration and provisioning utility. Before the configurator, this is what you would use to handle a bunch of random iPhones or force a certificate onto one of them.
  • computerfreakcomputerfreak Posts: 1member
    Just wanted to say I'm getting this, and also that I'm seeing 2 copies of the OSX 10.7.3 update since I haven't updated...
  • cinder6cinder6 Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    I was confused when this showed up this morning, but I'm almost certain it has to do with whether you have ever downloaded and used the iPhone configuration and provisioning utility. Before the configurator, this is what you would use to handle a bunch of random iPhones or force a certificate onto one of them.



    Nope. I've never used the configuration utility and it showed up for me. Downloading now
  • mufb74mufb74 Posts: 2member
    I just downloaded this too. I'm at work and SSH'ed into my iMac and ran the command line Software Update
  • mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I'd like to check this out. I hope it stays up for 2 more minutes. Downloading now.



    Edit: You have to have an iTunes connect user id to open the app



    I think Software Updater is wacky this morning. Now I'm seeing two copies of Safari in the download list.
  • richard hallasrichard hallas Posts: 24member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    I think Software Updater is wacky this morning. Now I'm seeing two copies of Safari in the download list.



    I've just returned from a trip away, and on my Lion Mac I also saw two copies of Safari 5.1.4; I unchecked one, installed the other, and after the installation the phantom copy vanished.



    As for iTunes Producer, it also appeared on my MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard, so it's not a Lion-only issue.
  • s8er01zs8er01z Posts: 144member
    For the guys downloading this...what purpose does it serve? Xcode pushes everything for my Applications..just curious is there is any reason to even have this?
  • bluefish86bluefish86 Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post


    For the guys downloading this...what purpose does it serve? Xcode pushes everything for my Applications..just curious is there is any reason to even have this?



    Judging by the release notes, I think it's for publishing non-App content to the iTunes store
  • daveyjjdaveyjj Posts: 120member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluefish86 View Post


    Judging by the release notes, I think it's for publishing non-App content to the iTunes store



    Yup. Meant for people using iBooks Author to upload/submit finished files for sale.



    And I can finally, once, say that Apple's legal needs to treat countries differently has actually benefitted Canada. ISBN numbers here, for Canadian-based publishers, are free, handed out by the CISS agency of our Federal government. The US is the odd man out here with private firms in control of the ISBN system for US publishers, many countries offer free ISBNs to publishers set up in them.
  • elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    I was confused when this showed up this morning, but I'm almost certain it has to do with whether you have ever downloaded and used the iPhone configuration and provisioning utility. Before the configurator, this is what you would use to handle a bunch of random iPhones or force a certificate onto one of them.



    Not true. I've never had an iPhone or iPad or even an iPod Touch or Apple TV - only a Mac running Snow Leopard. This iTunes Producer Update showed up in my Snow Leopard software update. It confused the heck out of me.
  • elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Richard Hallas View Post


    I've just returned from a trip away, and on my Lion Mac I also saw two copies of Safari 5.1.4; I unchecked one, installed the other, and after the installation the phantom copy vanished.



    As for iTunes Producer, it also appeared on my MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard, so it's not a Lion-only issue.



    I'm still on Safari 5.0.5, because using Safari 5.1.x (with Snow Leopard 10.6.8) will not block cookies, even when set to block them all. I tried 5.1.4, but it's still not fixed.
  • ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    It's gone now. Doesn't show up in my lion software update
  • timmmytimmmy Posts: 68member
    I was offered this on 10.6.8
Sign In or Register to comment.