Is it possible to copy specific files from Time Machine

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My Time Machine has max'd out of space because I foolishly did not set the parameters I wanted to back-up correctly. So consequently I was backing up my complete system each time. I would like to start over and delete all of the back-up journals s except for specific JPG, AVI and some EXL and DOC files.

Is there a way to copy or burn those specific files I want? Would setting up a second Time Machine on another Hard Drive allow me to move those files? I screwed up, but I hope Apple took this into consideration when developing this back-up tool.

Thanks

Rick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I'd answer your question ... but I'm not sure which of the two identical threads you made to post in ... maybe when I figure it out, I'll give you the answer.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Sorry, I've been trying to get an answer to this problem for over a month and I'm also new to Apple Insider. I guess it's not right to place a question in more than one area.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSRamza View Post

Sorry, I've been trying to get an answer to this problem for over a month and I'm also new to Apple Insider. I guess it's not right to place a question in more than one area.

It's redundant.

But yes, you have normal "Finder" access to all those backups.

Just navigate to the drive you use for time machine ... find the "Backups.backupdb" folder and browse to your hearts content ... you can copy, move and delete individual files and folders all you want! (though moving and deleting will cause you problems if you ever try to restore your computer from that backup... or try to access the files through the Time Machine interface.)