Evercore raises Apple price target to $750 on new dividend, iPad momentum

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think he would've liked to see Apple be a success, but for him it was never completely about the money. He basically wanted to destroy his enemies and make them suffer for doubting him.

lol... Daddy issues.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

After what was going on with Apple and it's stock performance, $750 is extremely conservative. I wouldn't be surprised to see them flying to something between $850 and $1000 by the end of the Year.

You're not a shareholder?
  • Reply 23 of 28
    uiguyuiguy Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

So this is what I don't get. Apple's stock decisions do not relate to lawsuits or competition (how would it?).

But also, why does Apple need to broaden their investor base? Is this move by Apple to reduce institutional holdings? Because, again, other than absolute legal obligations to shareholders, why would Tim Cook wake up one day, and say, a screw it, give 'em 45 billion dollars? Somebody fill me in.

A large horde of cash makes you a target. Regardless. If you look at the numbers, there isn't much they could afford yesterday that they can't afford now. Remember, that is 45B over 3 years. Just above spitting in the pond. The officers do have an obligation to the shareholders, and if there is nothing in 'THAT' price range, returning some value to investors comes off as looking pretty responsible (yes, I know all about the MSFT dividends discussion - we'll see whether that plays here too).

Apple's stock price has always been a bit of a lark. Good news and the price drops. Mediocre, unfounded speculation and it takes off. Broadening the investor base might help to eliminate some of the quirk.

It is all very interesting, but perhaps the biggest news is that none of the decisions have been viewed by the market as failures (by the market, I mean the 'real market' not the self-aggrandizing bloggers out to complain about everyone else but fail to disclose their own track record).

With that in mind, we need to remember that Apple is undergoing some inevitable change as a company since Steve passed away. I do believe the stock price was suppressed due to the perceived uncertainty (FUD) around what would happen to Apple without Steve... So we're experiencing a bit of an upward correction as the market assesses Apple's real value.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

$750 over the next 12 months? I'm thinking a 25% gain over a year is excessively conservative unless qualified with some data that explains a major drop in the market overall or in Apple's ability to maintain sales.

PS: Galbi is admitting he's just baiting posters to derail the thread. What does it take to send tachy to purgatory?

His post makes zero sense. As usual. Best to ignore him.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

I'll be THAT guy again here.

Despite what Apple may claim on their earnings call, I sense that the timing of this dividend announcement to be somewhat unusual.

Normally, dividends are announced to keep the stock price's momentum. Perhaps Apple was seeing the looming lawsuits (majority of which have not had any impact) and the increased competition from competitors as an ominous sign about the future. Hence, the dividend and share buyback announcement.

Yep. You're absolutely right. Apple is doomed and they're only giving a dividend to hide the fact that they're doomed.

The fact that their cash horde will continue to grow, even with the dividend doesn't mean anything. The fact that they have decided that they have more cash than they can possibly use doesn't mean anything. The fact that they iPad 3 is another blow-out success doesn't mean anything.

It's all a subterfuge. They're actually bankrupt and you should sell your stock.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yep. You're absolutely right. Apple is doomed and they're only giving a dividend to hide the fact that they're doomed.

The fact that their cash horde will continue to grow, even with the dividend doesn't mean anything. The fact that they have decided that they have more cash than they can possibly use doesn't mean anything. The fact that they iPad 3 is another blow-out success doesn't mean anything.

It's all a subterfuge. They're actually bankrupt and you should sell your stock.

A dividend payout of $45 Billion over 3 years is immaterial to you? Wonder what you do for a living?

Apple paid out their dividends during the time when their stock was/is at the highest in their history. This is clearly a preventive measure in anticipation of a possible future precipitous price dip. Stock price is set partly on future expectations of companies' performance. Wall Street's huge expectations could be both a good and a bad, a double edged sword. Ride the momentum to skyrocket prices but when those expectations are not met, the reverse happens, and usually in a precipitous manner.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Well, there are far worse forums, of which I'm not a so-called "power user" (I laugh in self-derision here). But at least you guys, including the trolls, are smart, without being to smart-ass. Edit: Okay there's definitely one or two posters around that get our goat but for the most part, other than that, the intelligence level and written ability here on AI is well above average. I avoid Twitter, Facebook and most other forum/comment avenues because they're just stupid and a waste of time. And they were mean to me.

I can't argue with that. This is a great forum with great members. The depth and range of conversation is great. I have learned more from this forum than any other I frequent and hope I have also taught someone something along the way. I guess if dealing with a few trolls is the price you pay for being a member then I'll gladly pay it.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

A dividend payout of $45 Billion over 3 years is immaterial to you? Wonder what you do for a living? .

Where did I say it was immaterial? And why do you feel that making things up is a rational way to discuss?

Now, $45 B is a lot of money, but it's not enough to change Apple's position materially. They already have $100 B and will nearly double that over the next 3-5 years.

So they'll have $150 B instead of $200 B. Hardly anything that's going to change their future.

Quote:

Apple paid out their dividends during the time when their stock was/is at the highest in their history. This is clearly a preventive measure in anticipation of a possible future precipitous price dip. Stock price is set partly on future expectations of companies' performance. Wall Street's huge expectations could be both a good and a bad, a double edged sword. Ride the momentum to skyrocket prices but when those expectations are not met, the reverse happens, and usually in a precipitous manner.

Right. Apple did it to prop up their share price. Are you delusional in real life, too?