Users complain of weak Wi-Fi reception with Apple's new iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Some users have reported that wireless reception with their new iPad is notably inferior than with Apple's previous iPad models.

In a growing thread at the Apple Support Communities website, dozens of users have posted about their troubles with Wi-Fi connectivity on the new iPad. Reports claim that areas that previously achieved strong Wi-Fi signals are now weak, or have no reception at all.

Some users have also compared the reception of their new iPad to their iPhone or MacBook Pro. While the other Apple devices might receive a strong signal in a particular location, they say the new iPad has weak or no connectivity.

"MacBook Pro as well as iPhone 4S show 'Full Fan' — new iPad (16GB WIFI) shows 'one dot' or just flat drops the wifi connection (and is often unable to search and find it)," user 'aka_srp' wrote in a post over the weekend.

Another user, 'gdtobm,' said they bought a new iPad from Best Buy on last Friday's launch and experienced Wi-Fi connectivity issues. The iPad was returned later that day, and the new model they received did not have any problems.

Still another person who posted to Apple's forums, 'Andrew Mclaughlin2,' compared the performance of the new iPad to a first-generation iPad and an iPhone 4S. The tests conducted at Speedtest.net reportedly found that the third-generation iPad has half the throughput of the other devices.

Some of those posting in Apple's forums have attempted to resolve their issues with AppleCare representatives, while others have talked to personnel at the company's retail stores. One user, 'HealthClif,' said they switched back to a previous-generation iPad 2 after experiencing Wi-Fi connectivity issues with multiple replacements of the new iPad.

Complaints of Wi-Fi-related issues also cropped up with the launch of the first iPad in 2010. Two years ago, some users said they experienced weak Wi-Fi reception, dropped signals, and difficulty connecting to a network.

Apple eventually resolved those issues with an iPad software update. The company acknowledged that a "very small number of iPad users" had experienced issues with Wi-Fi connectivity on the first-generation iPad.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 131
    mcrcnmcrcn Posts: 27member
    I have noticed only have 1 bar at times while sitting 6' from my router. However, I have 4 bars this morning. However, it seems to operate just fine either way. I have not noticed an lag time. Sounds like a software issue, so I am not overly worried about it at this time.
  • Reply 2 of 131
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Let's see - 3 million sold in the first weekend.

'Dozens' of people having problems. And if you look carefully, half of the 63 total posts seem to be from the same person (it_caveman).

Please let us know when there's a real problem rather than a few isolated incidents.
  • Reply 3 of 131
    twelvetwelve Posts: 49member
    Here we go again. I'm going to complain about the retina display causing me to be sleepy all the time because I stay up late playing with my iPad. If I fall asleep driving, I'm gonna file a class action lawsuit. Apple is evil!
  • Reply 4 of 131
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I'm waiting for the 'screen is too shiny' next ....
  • Reply 5 of 131
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    WiFi on this one is faster than my old, peaking at 20Mbps down and 2Mbps up, while my old iPad2 got around 18Mbps down and 1.8 Mbps up.

Getting 26Mbps down on LTE and 29Mbps up. The only thing slower on LTE than my broadband connection is the ping times, which average about 60 MS as opposed to 12 MS on my broadband connection.

I've been nothing but impressed with this hardware.

I have to wonder if the WiFi issues are something simple like a loose WiFi antenna connector.
  • Reply 6 of 131
    I actually found my WiFi on the 3rd gen far superior to my iPad 1
  • Reply 7 of 131
    Guys,

I have never had a Ipad b4 , planning to Get the New Ipad when it arrives in my country ...

Must i leave this new Ipad ?

May be ppl who have already purchased this know better
  • Reply 8 of 131
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    No problems here. I however have noticed that my WiFi signal icon fluctuates from two bars to three bars roughly 20 feet from my router -- my iPhone 4S stays three bars throughout the house.

But I haven't had any connection problems so I don't give a fuq.
  • Reply 9 of 131
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    update (march 24,2012). after watching the youtube of "lcd monitor teardown" (very interesting) the electrodes are not copper but indium-tin-oxide... not sure if the indium-tin-oxide reflection radio waves... so most likely my theory is wrong, but ... oh well... not knowning how something is built can lead to ignorance..

i think part of the problem might be that the screen acts like a copper mesh, thus shielding the back of the iPad from the wifi signal... so LOL your holding it wrong LOL...

seriously, since the screen is so dense, each sub-pixel has to have a circuit trace going to it, that makes it a copper mesh...

might be able to prove my theory by placing an ipod touch playing an internet radio station in between two new iPads... (if the screens are like copper meshes, then the stream should stop play after the buffer is empty.
  • Reply 10 of 131
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Wifigate...
  • Reply 11 of 131
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Let's see - 3 million sold in the first weekend.

'Dozens' of people having problems. And if you look carefully, half of the 63 total posts seem to be from the same person (it_caveman).

Please let us know when there's a real problem rather than a few isolated incidents.

All the tech blogs will link to this and we'll have wi-fi gate.
  • Reply 12 of 131
    I've had zero problems. Never less than 3 bars. But I don't use my iPad near my router. Not sure why that would matter though.
  • Reply 13 of 131
    Oh, geeeeez, here we go again.

I received my new iPad (3rd gen.) Friday and have been using at least two hours / day, and I'm seeing no difference whatsoever in Wifi connectivity between the new one and my original iPad.

The iHaters are out in full force yet once again.

My new iPad is a tremendous leap forward from both the original iPad and iPad 2 - the retina display is phenomenal. Try as I may to get close enough to see pixelation, I cannot do so. Images on the display are sharp, rich, and beautiful. When I go back to my original iPad for comparison, my experience isn't "bad", but I definitely notice the pixelation.

The new iPad is the best Apple product I've ever owned, and that's saying a lot, having owned a Mac SE, original iMac, PowerMac G4, PowerMac G5, G3 iBook, MBP (2009), Mac Pro, all iPhone models except for the 3G, and original iPad. If you haven't gotten to use the new iPad, give it a try. It is a fantastic device.
  • Reply 14 of 131
    Anyone notice that the scaling for old apps is also far superior to the scaling in the iPad 2?
  • Reply 15 of 131
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    I've had no wifi issues. Nor have I had a heating issue. Great upgrade from the iPad 2. The screen is amazing and contrary to breakdowns, I think the speaker is much louder than previous versions.
  • Reply 16 of 131
    hakimehakime Posts: 42member
    This is getting ridiculous, are Appleinsider and other sites going to report every minor issue that people may have with their device? All with sensational headlines?

So now that pundits are realizing how non sense is the heating story, they are shifting to something else? For god sake, Apple sold three million devices, it is normal that some few people may experience some troubles. Does that need to be reported eveytime to the point that you are about to report on every post in Apple support forums.
  • Reply 17 of 131
    hakimehakime Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haar View Post

i think part of the problem might be that the screen acts like a copper mesh, thus shielding the back of the iPad from the wifi signal... so LOL your holding it wrong LOL...

seriously, since the screen is so dense, each sub-pixel has to have a circuit trace going to it, that makes it a copper mesh...

might be able to prove my theory by placing an ipod touch playing an internet radio station in between two new iPads... (if the screens are like copper meshes, then the stream should stop play after the buffer is empty.

You are not making any sense, give me a break!!!
  • Reply 18 of 131
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Anyone notice that the scaling for old apps is also far superior to the scaling in the iPad 2?

Scaling-gate...
  • Reply 19 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Scaling-gate...

That would require that the scaling was worse in the new iPad. It's far better
  • Reply 20 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hakime View Post

This is getting ridiculous, are Appleinsider and other sites going to report every minor issue that people may have with their device? All with sensational headlines?

So now that pundits are realizing how non sense is the heating story, they are shifting to something else? For god sake, Apple sold three million devices, it is normal that some few people may experience some troubles. Does that need to be reported eveytime to the point that you are about to report about evey post on Apple support forums.

It's ridiculous. Doesn't surprise me at all that sites like Engadget or Gizmodo look for anything possible to trash Apple. But I don't expect to see it on sites like AI. Especially for things that clearly are not widespread.