Users complain of weak Wi-Fi reception with Apple's new iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 131
    I have dropped my new iPad more frequently than my original iPad. I think it may be more sensitive to gravity than the first iPad.
  • Reply 42 of 131
    I have had this with the ipad 2 since the first day. The wifi signal strength just randomly goes up and down.

Oh and it's with many different routers, not just using my personal one.
  • Reply 43 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

AI needs clicks too in order to keep the ad money rolling in. Anything with a negative connotation generates lots of clicks. It's human nature. We are voyeurs who love to watch others suffer and fail, especially the world's most valuable company. I mean who wants to watch continued success?

I do. I own the stock
  • Reply 44 of 131
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Let's see - 3 million sold in the first weekend.

'Dozens' of people having problems. And if you look carefully, half of the 63 total posts seem to be from the same person (it_caveman).

Please let us know when there's a real problem rather than a few isolated incidents.

Yep, and as I have said before, before are just stupid and want to find ways to complain. There's always going to someone isn't happy. Same is true for average Yelp reviews.
  • Reply 45 of 131
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haar View Post

i think part of the problem might be that the screen acts like a copper mesh, thus shielding the back of the iPad from the wifi signal... so LOL your holding it wrong LOL...

seriously, since the screen is so dense, each sub-pixel has to have a circuit trace going to it, that makes it a copper mesh...

might be able to prove my theory by placing an ipod touch playing an internet radio station in between two new iPads... (if the screens are like copper meshes, then the stream should stop play after the buffer is empty.

Seriously? What the F are you talking about? The WIFI signal enters/leaves the iPad at the rear of the device, the screen could be a 60" and it wouldn't matter.
  • Reply 46 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Let's see - 3 million sold in the first weekend.

'Dozens' of people having problems. And if you look carefully, half of the 63 total posts seem to be from the same person (it_caveman).

Please let us know when there's a real problem rather than a few isolated incidents.

If there are problems generally, or problems with specific devices, I hope Apple takes these issues more seriously than fanboys.

Problems are problems, and when there are problems, competent businesses address them. There are already a crap-load full of American and foreign businesses who let seemingly small problems fester until the lack of quality defined the company.

GM, Kodak, Rim, Sun, Toyota, Borders, Circuit City, MS, HP, any Wall Street financial institution, to name a few, did not go bankrupt or lose market or lose mindshare because they produced great products that simply failed in the market. They lost or are losing because others were far better at creating good products and services or they royally screwed up.

I hope Apple remains committed to perfection, and not let the religious fervor of fanboys influence their decision to solve problems when they occur.
  • Reply 47 of 131
    Personally, I am glad this story was posted. I was considering returning my Ipad3 Wifi as I have seen this issue. I am not an Apple hater, but I tested this with iPhone4, iPhone 3GS, iPad1, and iPod touch and I found worst reception (tested with speedtest.net and from the same spots, using several locations inside the house). All devices have iOS 5.1. I restarted the Airport Extreme(s) to make sure that wasn't an issue either. I noticed it was worse. I have 35MB up/down, so slower speed and worse reception didn't hurt me so bad. I hope Apple looks at this. Own many, many Apple products and a total fan so again, I am not a hater.
  • Reply 48 of 131
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hakime View Post

This is getting ridiculous, are Appleinsider and other sites going to report every minor issue that people may have with their device? All with sensational headlines?

"Users complain of weak Wi-Fi reception with Apple's new iPad" is hardly what I would call a sensational headline.

I hope they do keep reporting these problems. Users have a right to know if there are any generic problems with the iPad 3 or if it?s just isolated incidents. Would you prefer it if they all conspired to hide these stories from us? Apple never hold their hands up to anything so we need sites like this to keep us all informed.

Freedom of the press is a landmark principle we should never let go. Without it you end up with censorship of the internet like they have in China.
  • Reply 49 of 131
    Some of this is psychology, some of it is environment. When a story like this gets a lot of publicity, people will look for the issue in their iPad at home. They will be a lot more sensitive to it any given time where as had they never heard of the issue, they would not notice.

Environment your iPad is in at any given moment can be effected by all sorts of radio signals going on around it. Isolated incidents being reported within a week of launch I take little faith in. Widespread reports over several weeks and months, I'd be a little more concerned.
  • Reply 50 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thundermustard View Post

I have dropped my new iPad more frequently than my original iPad. I think it may be more sensitive to gravity than the first iPad.

The extra weight makes it fall faster as well - Apple should have warned us
  • Reply 51 of 131
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hakime View Post

This is getting ridiculous, are Appleinsider and other sites going to report every minor issue that people may have with their device? All with sensational headlines?

So now that pundits are realizing how non sense is the heating story, they are shifting to something else? For god sake, Apple sold three million devices, it is normal that some few people may experience some troubles. Does that need to be reported eveytime to the point that you are about to report on every post in Apple support forums.

It ABSOLUTELY should be covered by AI and others, though put in the proper perspective. If I had bought an iPad 3 with this problem, it would be extremely helpful to see that others, though not a large percentage of users, also had this problem. Mentioning any possible solutions would be helpful as well.

It's about having all the information available - isn't that what the internet is about?

As another example, I'm at a total loss with a problem in iTunes - all links for Complete My Album have disappeared for me. Only a small number of people are having this problem, and Apple is not responding to my support inquiry. I'm hoping to read somewhere about a possible solution. Are you saying that nobody should cover this issue because it's only a small number of people?
  • Reply 52 of 131
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thundermustard View Post

Ah, no, see, your hands are getting sweatier from the extra heat it puts off, so it slips out of your grip more easily.
  • Reply 53 of 131
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Go on to any one of these techie sites and there's probably one pro Apple comment to 100 anti Apple. And whoever posted the pro Apple comment is labeled an fanboy, sheeple, etc. Engadget's story on Jony Ive's interview with the London Evening Standard garnered 1,900+ replies, with probably 90-95% anti Apple. It's ok to be a fandroid but if you like Apple you're fundamentally evil.

Well Engadget is defiantly Apple friendly, when you post anything negative about Apple you get your head bit off. Gizmodo, Wired, Boingboing, there are plenty of Apple friendly sites. Any site that is about Android, tweaking, hardware, programming unless specificly for iOS is not so friendly.

So choose your sites. This one seems to be pretty Appley friendly.
  • Reply 54 of 131
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

The extra weight makes it fall faster as well - Apple should have warned us

That's not a given. Since the weight and size of the iPad 3 have both increased, it may fall at the same speed as the iPad 2 (if the density is the same). If one is of higher density, it will fall faster (it may even be the lighter one that's faster!). Note that the two are made of the same material, so that's not a factor.

Blame Galileo for figuring that out - by dropping objects off the Leaning Tower of Pisa or something like that.
  • Reply 55 of 131
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

?Gizmodo? ?Apple friendly site?

Gizmodo. Apple-friendly. That's great!

• Reply 56 of 131
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

That's not a given. Since the weight and size of the iPad 3 have both increased, it may fall at the same speed as the iPad 2 (if the density is the same). If one is of higher density, it will fall faster (it may even be the lighter one that's faster!). Note that the two are made of the same material, so that's not a factor.

Blame Galileo for figuring that out - by dropping objects off the Leaning Tower of Pisa or something like that.

Not really. Density is not really the issue here. The issue is weight divided by surface area facing the wind. So if it were to fall flat on its front or back, the heavier one will fall faster (greater weight, less surface area). If it were to fall on its side, I believe the older one would fall faster (weight is only up about 5% but thickness is up about 10%, IIRC).

Of course, in a vacuum, they'd all fall at the same rate.
  • Reply 57 of 131
    hakimehakime Posts: 42member
    Quote:

It ABSOLUTELY should be covered by AI and others, though put in the proper perspective. If I had bought an iPad 3 with this problem, it would be extremely helpful to see that others, though not a large percentage of users, also had this problem. Mentioning any possible solutions would be helpful as well.

It's about having all the information available - isn't that what the internet is about?

As another example, I'm at a total loss with a problem in iTunes - all links for Complete My Album have disappeared for me. Only a small number of people are having this problem, and Apple is not responding to my support inquiry. I'm hoping to read somewhere about a possible solution. Are you saying that nobody should cover this issue because it's only a small number of people?

You are not making any sense, if you want to do what you claim would like to be able to do, just go to Apple Support forums, search for the given issue and try to get help or shared informations there. You don't need AI for that, this is what Support forums are for.
  • Reply 58 of 131
    Quote:

I missed out the /s

BTW Rumor has it that Galileo didn't really drop anything of the tower, he just thought about it. He figured if a 'heavier' object would fall faster than a lighter one - then you could chain them together and they would exert an increasing force between them as they fell - and if such a force exited then surely objects would try to explode as they fell....
  • Reply 59 of 131

As I sit here on the throne dictating this, I show a full fan for Wi-Fi... Thankfully!
  • Reply 60 of 131
    hakimehakime Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

"Users complain of weak Wi-Fi reception with Apple's new iPad" is hardly what I would call a sensational headline.

I hope they do keep reporting these problems. Users have a right to know if there are any generic problems with the iPad 3 or if it?s just isolated incidents. Would you prefer it if they all conspired to hide these stories from us? Apple never hold their hands up to anything so we need sites like this to keep us all informed.

Freedom of the press is a landmark principle we should never let go. Without it you end up with censorship of the internet like they have in China.

You are getting it wrong. No one is asking to hide anything, but one could ask for objective report. A non sensational headline would be something like "Small number of users experiencing weak wifi reception with Apple's new iPad" because this is what it is, a small number of people.

And allow me to think that given the small number of people, I doubt about the necessity of reporting anything on the matter or then AI should report on every Apple support thread having a few dozen people in it.