Apple employing improved compression for new iTunes 1080p videos

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'd prefer 1080/60p content. People don't like that because "they move unnaturally". No, you're just idiots used to twenty-suck frames per second. But I digress.

Then do you feel like an idiot when dragged into a movie theater, having to watch 24 frames/sec?
  • Reply 42 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Then do you feel like an idiot when dragged into a movie theater, having to watch 24 frames/sec?

I don't go to many movies. Save to make fun of them, of course. The blockbusting bombs are the best.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Some movies I like 24fps, some 60. But if you watch citizen cane, casablanca, or even more modern greats like braveheart or forest gump, 60fps looks much worse (to me and most people- particularly all videophiles). So calling people an idiot for watching the frame rate something designed for is pretty idiotic in its own sense.

But most importantly- H264 doesn't touch MP4-AVC in terms of detail and quality. Vastly inferior formatting. And until they are 7.1 DTS-HD audio, they sound even more inferior- pathetic really. Now if you're watching it on a lower end high def tv, with weak or no surround- or you just don't care- then this is a great improvement for apple. But since I've gone to the garden (Blu-Ray), and tasted its fruit- I can't go backwards to something inferior. More convenient? Absolutely. But not even close to quality on very large tvs or good surrounds. Getting there.... But they need another 15 GBs or so- and the infrastructure to support it- to get to where I'd replace physical superior media (I know- I'll be in the vast minority eventually)
  • Reply 44 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

But if you watch citizen cane, casablanca, or even more modern greats like braveheart or forest gump, 60fps looks much worse?

Oh, are you talking about those TVs that interpolate frames between existing ones? Like? what, Samsung's the one doing it, I guess? those Samsung TVs that do 240 (and others that do 120, etc.)?

I'm pretty sure I hate that a lot. I'm pretty sure I think that makes movies look terrible. It has been too long since the last time I saw demos of that to be able for me to say for certain, simply because I can't remember anything. But I'm pretty sure.

THAT I agree with. My complaint isn't with people who don't want to watch everything at 60fps, it's with people who resist the move to 60fps for future things. Yeah, I can't imagine watching classics at a higher framerate than for which they were designed.

Quote:

But most importantly- H264 doesn't touch MP4-AVC in terms of detail and quality.

I ask because I have absolutely no idea: Will HEVC? I've not seen enough demos or know enough about that stuff to make a call on that.

Quote:

But they need another 15 GBs or so

Not with HEVC.
  • Reply 45 of 48
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    [QUOTE=Park Seward;2067599]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Not true, the show is shot progressive. Purely 1080i would have been totally unacceptable for a show like that. Check this list and look up Big Bang:

Except that the camera is not capable of shooting 1080p. Notice "1080/59.94i". The available format modes are:

HDCAM 1080/59.94i/29.97P/24P/23.98P

40 min. with BCT-40HD (59.94i Mode)

48 min. with BCT-40HD (50i/25P Mode, 25P: HDW-650P only)

50 min. with BCT-40HD (23.98PsF Mode, HDW-650F only)

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-HDWF900R/

Watching the show on CBS, they broadcast 1080i.

Not true. Check the official camera specs and it does progressive. I can know it because I have been using the camera first hand.

Secondly you are talking broadcasting. That might be smart to do in interlaced, yes, but it's still recorded progressive in camera for this show, served in an interlaced stream when broadcasted.

Times were everything was captured and served in interlaced, is over. It does happen, but not for more recent shows. It would have looked terrible on everything else than a regular TV set.
  • Reply 46 of 48
    The article isn’t saying the data is compressed.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Not true. Check the official camera specs and it does progressive. I can know it because I have been using the camera first hand.

Secondly you are talking broadcasting. That might be smart to do in interlaced, yes, but it's still recorded progressive in camera for this show, served in an interlaced stream when broadcasted.

Times were everything was captured and served in interlaced, is over. It does happen, but not for more recent shows. It would have looked terrible on everything else than a regular TV set.

Yeah, I've been watching a lot of Big Bang Theory recently and it is very likely shot in progressive, from a layperson's view.
  • Reply 48 of 48
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Sounds like you prefer high resolution over greater frame rate. Note that some people prefer sports broadcast at 720p (60 fps).

Though if we're talking about movies and TV shows, 1080 does seem preferable. Frequently these are shot and mastered at 24p so the 720p60 standard offers nothing over 1080(i or p).

Indeed. 1080.24p FTW. Of course, UEFA Champions League at 1080.60p would be sweet, forget 720.