Rumor: Next-gen iPhone to feature 4.6-inch Retina Display

Comments

• Reply 21 of 109
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

My Galaxy Nexus already has a 4.65 inch display (as shown in the article), though it's of the much more vibrant, power-efficient AMOLED variety.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Has anyone seen the Galaxy Nexus? It uses a horrible PenTile display and huge...

LOL...love it!
  • Reply 22 of 109
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Fan droids are compensating to smaller body parts.

Didn't they used to say that about guns?
  • Reply 23 of 109
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    It's more likely that Adriana Lima and Alessandra Ambrosio will drop by for a night of sex with me than it is that this rumor is true.

And Adriana is married, a mother of two, and highly religious. And Alessandra is presently about four months pregnant.

So, do the math.
  • Reply 24 of 109
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

Too big.

4" maximum for a screen.

Agreed, 4" would be a nice size. Does anyone know what the PPI will be on a 4" at 960 x 640 ?
  • Reply 25 of 109
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member
    4" iPhone with 1024 by 768 pixel would be great. If Apple makes this move, App developers won't need to make updates to their apps as the 4" iPhone can use iPad apps natively. Eventually, the current iPhone aspect ratio will be phased out and developers will only need to worry about one aspect ratio with 2X graphic for iPad and 1X graphic for iPhone.

Imagine how happy app developers would be if their apps can be 1024x768 for iPhone and 2048x1536 for iPad.

The app store can be updated to look like this.

iPhone

iPhone 5 and iPad

Then in a few years when Apple no longer supports the iPhone 4/4S like they no longer support iPhone 3G and iPhone original... all they need to worry about is an app store without tabs for iPhone and iPad like they do now since the aspect ration would still be the same with different resolutions which can just be 1x or 2x graphics.

A 4" iPhone with 1024 by 768 resolution would have a screen size of 3.2" x 2.4" with 320 DPI.
  • Reply 26 of 109
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I don't believe this rumor.
  • Reply 27 of 109
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

4" iPhone with 1024 by 768 pixel would be great. If Apple makes this move, App developers won't need to make updates to their apps as the 4" iPhone can use iPad apps natively. Eventually, the current iPhone aspect ratio will be phased out and developers will only need to worry about one aspect ratio with 2X graphic for iPad and 1X graphic for iPhone.

Imagine how happy app developers would be if their apps can be 1024x768 for iPhone and 2048x1536 for iPad.

The app store can be updated to look like this.

iPhone

iPhone 5 and iPad

Then in a few years when Apple no longer supports the iPhone 4/4S like they no longer support iPhone 3G and iPhone original... all they need to worry about is an app store without tabs for iPhone and iPad like they do now since the aspect ration would still be the same with different resolutions which can just be 1x or 2x graphics.

A 4" iPhone with 1024 by 768 resolution would have a screen size of 3.2" x 2.4" with 320 DPI.

Brilliant analysis. I am not sure this will happen your proposal is rational and reasonable without requiring significant effort by developers and continuing to utilize the Retina Display.
  • Reply 28 of 109
    This looks more suited for a new iPod Touch, than an iPhone. We are used to the concept of the iPod touch being the iPhone without the phone. But, there is no reason it should be so.

the way iPod Touch has evolved, I think a 4.6" screen would be ideal for that device. Since, the larger screen would be nicer for gaming and other apps, and since it is not a phone, most people are not necessarily carrying it in a pocket like one. Infact, most people I have seen carry the iTouch in their backpack, or some thing of that kind.

Or atleast a new variant of iPod Touch?
  • Reply 29 of 109
    Quote:

4" iPhone with 1024 by 768 pixel would be great. If Apple makes this move, App developers won't need to make updates to their apps as the 4" iPhone can use iPad apps natively.

Wait, what? You are completely ignoring the SIZE of the devices. When developing for the iPad I'm developing buttons and UI locations based on how far thumbs are from the edge of the screen and how far a reach it is between common tasks. The size of the buttons would be incredibly small if you took most iPad apps and shrunk them down to the size of a phone screen. Just imagine how tiny the iPad keyboard keys would be is using the same image but on a phone sized screen.

Maybe a better analogy is to just look at an iPhone only app running on an iPad and how rediculously large the buttons and UI look. Now take that problem in reverse and think rediculously small.
  • Reply 30 of 109
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

It's more likely that Adriana Lima and Alessandra Ambrosio will drop by for a night of sex with me than it is that this rumor is true.

Even more unlikely is they'd say 4.6" is too big.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by simtub View Post

Agreed, 4" would be a nice size. Does anyone know what the PPI will be on a 4" at 960 x 640 ?

288.44 PPI.
  • Reply 31 of 109
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaronsullivan View Post

Wait, what? You are completely ignoring the SIZE of the devices. When developing for the iPad I'm developing buttons and UI locations based on how far thumbs are from the edge of the screen and how far a reach it is between common tasks. The size of the buttons would be incredibly small if you took most iPad apps and shrunk them down to the size of a phone screen. Just imagine how tiny the iPad keyboard keys would be is using the same image but on a phone sized screen.

Good point! I wasn't thinking very hard when I said that!
  • Reply 32 of 109
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

Too big. 4" maximum...

That's what she said!
  • Reply 33 of 109
    Quote:

Damn... Beat me to it.
  • Reply 34 of 109
    Quote:

I wasn't thinking very hard...!

That's what he said!
  • Reply 35 of 109
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    A 4.6" display? Yeah right.
  • Reply 36 of 109
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

LOL

OK, that was cold.
  • Reply 37 of 109
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SinisterJoe View Post

I think there's plenty of room in the market for two different iPhone models. It seems that Jobs was dead set on 3.5" being the perfect size for everyone but I'm not sure Tim Cook is as idealistic about these things. For Apple's bottom line an iPhone Pro at 4.6" is sure to carry a bigger margin -- certainly they do fine selling half a dozen different types of Macs, so I don't see why there shouldn't be different size iPhones at some point. Developers will have to do a little extra work to support another screen resolution but re-working a GUI for 3.5" vs. 4.6" is not a huge deal.

You don't think Jony Ive had a say in the size of the new phone? My guess is he and and Steve had the next phone worked out well before Steve died.

Honestly I can't see Apple using the 'Pro' name with any of their iOS devices. IMO the only way we'll ever get different phone sizes is if the new iPhone is 4" and they continue to sell the iPhone 4/4S.
  • Reply 38 of 109
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    This seems dubious to me. They don't primarily choose based on what tech is available, or what the competition is doing, but what fits comfortably in your hand. If history is any guide, an iPhone mini is more likely.
  • Reply 39 of 109
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    It's completely ridiculous to think that this could be for the next iPhone.

A 4.6" screen with the iPhone's aspect ratio would be difficult to even hold.

Apple would need to change the aspect ratio which would change the UI which is something Apple simply can't do.

So here's a news flash (6 months and about 1000 completely ridiculous rumours ahead of time)... the form factor on the next iPhone will be pretty much the same as the current iPhone.

So if there is any truth at all to this rumour the screen must be for something else.

The question is... what could it be? A new iPod touch? A controller for the new Apple TV? Something entirely new?!?!?
  • Reply 40 of 109
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    That is VERY hard to believe. For most people, a 4.6" display is laughably large, and simply unwieldily. I've used a GN and it was very difficult to handle with 1 hand. I predict the next iPhone to be 4". No more.