Adobe Photoshop CS6 to adopt Aperture-like theme, new 3D functionality

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

This is what happens when one company dominates.

That's a question I've had for a while.

Why hasn't Adobe been sued into bankruptcy by the European Union or any American governing bodies for being a monopoly in that regard? There's nothing out there even remotely close to many of its applications in capability or scope and yet they're allowed to buy up whatever companies they want to bloat their trash with new 'features'.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecpho View Post

i initially didn't like the change to upper case - but I got used to it and prefer it that way..

either way there are scripts to change them back and forth.

Where does one find these scripts?
  • Reply 43 of 54
    Really? Photoshop to adopt Aperture-like theme? Err..last I check, most of their product looks like...well, the new Photoshop for quite some while now. Including the ones already mentioned, I would inject that Adobe Lightroom has it as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Aperture only went to a dark theme in Aperture 2.0. And further correct me if I'm wrong but Lightroom, which has always been dark themed since the very beginning...was released before Aperture 2.0... So who's really doing the adopting? Seems Adobe is just consolidating their various product lines UI look and feel.
  • Reply 44 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's a question I've had for a while.

Why hasn't Adobe been sued into bankruptcy by the European Union or any American governing bodies for being a monopoly in that regard? There's nothing out there even remotely close to many of its applications in capability or scope and yet they're allowed to buy up whatever companies they want to bloat their trash with new 'features'.

err...that is exactly why they haven't been sued into bankruptcy...Seriously, you take that company down, what are you left with? Yes, those using Lightroom can grumblingly move on to Aperture but those using Photoshop? Should they move on to Corel Photo Paint? Jasc Paint Shop Pro? Gimp? And what about Dreamweaver users? Illustrator? and on and on...the only result you are going to get is the whole graphical industry (including quite a few web development companies) being blown to bits with huge numbers of artists/developers/designers etc. out of work while every one scrambles and waiting to find adequate replacements (and investments) for <insert tool>.

To sue Adobe about the monopoly with the result being opening up competition is one thing but to sue Adobe into bankruptcy? That is never going to happen. Well, never say never but it won't be any time soon in any case.
  • Reply 45 of 54
    ecphoecpho Posts: 28member
    Quote:

Go hang around the Adobe forums. It's full of shills and apologists. You'll feel right at home. I for one reserve the right to be critical of software I have used since version 2 and upgrade regularly - now annually as Adobe needlessly ramps up its development cycle to 12 months.

I have to agree with Prof. Peabody on this one. When it comes to Photoshop many changes are completely pointless, and expensive. And since Adobe is now charging full upgrade price for an annual point bug-fix "upgrade", it should expect a lot more criticism going forward. This is what happens when one company dominates. But, nothing lasts forever and one day Adobe is destined to become the QuarkXPress of publishing when some real competition comes along and people abandon Adobe after years of being fed up with its greed.

Have you hung around the Adobe forums? There you'll find alot of users helping others solve problems. you'll also find photoshop engineers and product managers answering questions. Have you been to the feedback/feature request site?

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photos...mily_photoshop

You can particiapte in the community, be helpful and if you know what you are talking about maybe you can participate in the beta programs someday. Or you can whine on appleinsider without trying to get your issues resolved. Photoshop isn't perfect - it is quite involved so there can be issues - but they do actively try to fix them.

You dont have to upgrade to every version - I work as a retoucher and recently used CS3 at a studio and its perfectly fine to do pro work. And to complain about price? Its not cheap to the average non-pro but considering what it is capable of is is damn cheap. I might not need the 3D and animation tools but the next person might. And the price is nothing is you are using it to do your job, it pays for itself in no time.

If you dont use it for work there are cheaper alternatives - but the great thing about photoshop is that there is no other thing like it in the world. It is by far the best image editing program, again to me I think its a bargain.

And lately they're been on an 18-24 month update schedule. The recent CS5.5 update was part of a mid term update that added features to indesign, dreamweaver and after effects. Photoshop wasn't updated at all, they just changed the name to match the others. So no one is going to update photoshop CS5 to CS5.5 by itself.

Another great thing about photoshop is that we will never have a surprise Final Cut X update like Apple - the photoshop team values its pro users and actively seeks their input.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    ecphoecpho Posts: 28member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jabohn View Post

Where does one find these scripts?

PM me and I'll set you up.

Let me know which version you are running.
  • Reply 47 of 54
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecpho View Post

please tone down the blind anti-adobe rhetoric here- w/o adobe products your precious ipad will have no content.

If it weren't for Adobe, Apple wouldn't have even been around to make the iPad. The only thing that kept Apple alive in the 90's was people who were using Macs specifically to use Adobe apps on them.
  • Reply 48 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is just the same old shite they do with every release IMO. Kind of sad really.

Step 1) - "spruce it up!"

Don't actually fix anything but move a lot of shit around. Maybe copy the look of whatever product was cool and new about five years ago.

Step 2) - random movement

Make sure that some things that were on menu a move to menu b and vice versa. Change a few icons (but only slightly). Maybe rename some shit. Make sure at least a couple of things disappear, but without any rhyme or reason.

Step 3) - "new feature!" (note the singular)

Always add one feature that you can't get anywhere else even if it's lame. If you have two new features, save one for next year.

Step 4) - Take old price, add a bit, take some away, spilt up the suite and then recombine it in five other ways. Make sure the price eventually works out to basically the same price it's always been (immensely expensive). Call it done.

Good god man, just a little bitter. Take a stress tab. Try and add something constructive rather than just bitching.

[QUOTE=ecpho;1976643

And whoever leaked this probably violated a NDA.[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to not care about the NDA. The prerelease (Adobe's verbage for beta) has been out for quite some time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

Goddamn that blur correction looks amazing.

Agree with all comments re: Photoshop interface. Used to be my favorite program, now I rank it just above "Excel" in terms of user-friendliness.

And what are you using instead of it. Sure there are a couple of low end alternatives but nothing is in the same league as Photoshop.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

Its getting to the point of absurdity on this site that everything is stolen from apple. This looks more like elements than aperture.

Oh puhleese.

Sure the interface is dark as it ships but a couple of clicks and you can change the color to essentially what it is in 5.5. I can't believe how negative the comments are. Don't like it, don't buy it.
  • Reply 49 of 54
    The interface for upcoming Photoshop CS6 looks much like Adobe Photoshop Elements.

I don't know what is about the latest version but on my Sony Vaio there was version 8 or 9 pre-installed and the colors really looks the same.

Very much look forward to upcoming release as Adobe really knows how to improve algorithm for image processing and this time it won't be exception
  • Reply 50 of 54
    Quote:

Go hang around the Adobe forums. It's full of shills and apologists. You'll feel right at home. I for one reserve the right to be critical of software I have used since version 2 and upgrade regularly - now annually as Adobe needlessly ramps up its development cycle to 12 months.

I don't begrudge you your right to kvetch about Adobe's software.

I'm simply noting AI's jingoistic anti-Adobe slant in nearly every article in which Adobe is mentioned.

It's tiresome, and makes AI writers seem like shills.
  • Reply 51 of 54
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

May I ask why in the hell are you doing the text portions of a website in Photoshop of all places? Heard of Dreamweaver, or InDesign, or even Illustrator? What part of PHOTO - SHOP do you not understand?

I thoroughly despise people handing of designs that use a program far beyond it's intentions.... just because you can!

hmmm...because maybe, he actually design's web sites and 'designer' isn't simply in his title.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

If it weren't for Adobe, Apple wouldn't have even been around to make the iPad. The only thing that kept Apple alive in the 90's was people who were using Macs specifically to use Adobe apps on them.

and i would say that it goes both ways. adobe would be some third-rate software company if they would even exist without apple.
  • Reply 53 of 54
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

May I ask why in the hell are you doing the text portions of a website in Photoshop of all places? Heard of Dreamweaver, or InDesign, or even Illustrator? What part of PHOTO - SHOP do you not understand?

I thoroughly despise people handing of designs that use a program far beyond it's intentions.... just because you can!

Welcome to my personal hell working in prepress.