Next-gen iPhone rumored to arrive in fall 2012 with LTE 4G, 3.5-inch screen

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

Apple's sixth-generation iPhone will arrive this fall sporting the same size 3.5-inch display and high-speed 4G LTE connectivity, according to a new rumor.

The new iPhone is most likely to show up in October, one year after the launch of the iPhone 4S, iMore reported on Friday. It said the current plan is for the next iPhone to have a 3.5-inch screen, but added it is not "set in stone" to be identical to the existing iPhone screen size.

Friday's rumor contradicts a report from earlier this week in which Reuters suggested Apple will switch to a much larger 4.6-inch Retina display for its next-generation iPhone. However, those claims were largely dismissed by Apple watchers who noted that a dramatic shift in screen size could present complications for developers who write software for the current 3.5-inch Retina display.

The next iPhone is also expected to sport a 4G LTE radio, an unsurprising addition considering Apple just introduced its first 4G LTE wireless device with the new iPad.

The same site claimed in February that Apple is looking to replace the 30-pin dock connector currently found in the iPhone, iPad and iPod lineup. The new port will allegedly be a smaller, space saving successor that is expected to debut on the new iPhone.

Rumors of Apple's next iPhone have picked up steam this week, including a note from investment firm Barclays that revealed Apple is currently reviewing potential components for its future handset. That report indicated Apple's sixth-generation iPhone would utilize Qualcomm's "MDM9615" LTE chip, which supports both voice and data connections over high-speed 4G networks.

The new iPhone is also expected to be a "world" device compatible with a variety of 4G LTE networks, much like the current iPhone 4S. The 4G LTE iPad is different, and comes in two different models to allow compatibility with Verizon and AT&T wireless networks in the U.S.

Barclays also claimed last month that the next iPhone will arrive in September or October of this year, lining up with last year's iPhone 4S launch. The iPhone debut in 2011 was uncharacteristic for Apple, which had previously launched new handsets in June or July.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 181
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    There is no way I am upgrading if it is less than 4". I want a bigger screen (ideally 4.5+) in the same form factor.
  • Reply 2 of 181
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    How is this a rumor? Is this not common sense?
  • Reply 3 of 181
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

There is no way I am upgrading if it is less than 4". I want a bigger screen (ideally 4.5+) in the same form factor.

Enjoy your future android phone.
  • Reply 3 of 181
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    This all makes more sense than a 4.6" iPhone. It seems unlikely they would add a 2nd display for devs to deal with in the same year but I do hope they move to a 4" 3:2 display that fits into the same size casing.
  • Reply 5 of 181
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Still think they will go with a 4" screen.
  • Reply 6 of 181
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

Enjoy your future android phone.

Thanks, but I will stick with my 2+ year old iPhone-4.
  • Reply 7 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's sixth-generation iPhone will arrive this fall sporting the same size 3.5-inch display and high-speed 4G LTE connectivity, according to a new rumour. ...

Duh! \

In other news, the sun will rise tomorrow, the sky will remain blue and cars will still use those round "wheel" thingies to get around on.
  • Reply 8 of 181
    mistergsfmistergsf Posts: 241member
    Quote:

It would be nice to have a bit bigger screen but I do not want anything larger than the current form factor in my pants pocket.
  • Reply 9 of 181
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    LOL so what happened to the 4.6" screen?
  • Reply 10 of 181
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Small screens are better!

Big screens are also better!

Each in their own way.

Just don?t get carried away with either extreme. A little smaller would be nice. A little bigger would be nice in other ways. ANY change is fun just because it?s a change. And annoying for the same reason, but we?ll get over it.

Someone noted that the trend of bigger screens is only in LTE models: those Android phones need massive batteries to run early LTE. How do you get away with a massive battery? People wouldn?t tolerate a thick phone, but increasing the screen allows a wider battery very nicely. Non-LTE phones, even brand-new models, haven?t jumped on the big screen trend. It will be interesting to watch Android LTE phones shrink again when battery issues are resolved. Some will remain large, but it?s hardly a necessity, and in many ways a bigger screen is a bad thing.

Apple is waiting?I sincerely hope?until LTE can be just as pocketable as 3G was.

And I?d never want an Android-style screen that?s big but poor quality! 3.5? retina is awesome.
  • Reply 11 of 181
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    There is no way I am upgrading unless I really like the name they give it.
  • Reply 12 of 181
    I wonder what will be in ios 6 more then the next iphone, i wouldnt mind a slightly bigger 3.7 screen and aluminum back like the ipad, but im in no rush to get rid of my 4s
  • Reply 13 of 181
    Quote:

I'll be buying if only for LTE, though begrudgingly if the screen is less than 4". I need the hotspot capability. I do hope they don't drip-feed us, waiting another year to ++screen_size.

One problem with edge-to-edge is that your hand wraps over the face a few mm, which gives little margin for a larger screen with the current form factor.
  • Reply 14 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

There is no way I am upgrading unless I really like the name they give it.

You will really like "the new iPhone"
  • Reply 15 of 181
    Quote:

Thanks, but I will stick with my 2+ year old iPhone-4.

Every year I say I won't upgrade, and yet I am compelled to do so when the new version arrives.

So, here is my annual "I will not upgrade" speech.

I pre-ordered the new iPad, and I am in love with the speed over my old first generation.

The LTE speed feels like wifi to me.

With the speed of that device, and the fact that I use it instead of my phone for most email and web browsing, I cannot justify a new phone, just to get LTE on it.

An LTE phone will require a denser battery.

From my iPad experience, I can tell you that this will result in much longer recharge cycles.

I find it hard to believe the next generation phone will be that much better than the iPhone4S!
  • Reply 16 of 181
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Call me crazy but I like the 3.5" screen size. It works well with one hand. When I need a bigger screen I use my iPad.
  • Reply 17 of 181
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mistergsf View Post

It would be nice to have a bit bigger screen but I do not want anything larger than the current form factor in my pants pocket.

Ditto: standard attire for me is Levis 501. I can't imagine cargo pants coming back in style. Or maybe the man purse. Phone holster.
  • Reply 18 of 181
    This is how I imagine the next-gen iPhone will work. A 4.5" screen at 1280x720 would have the exact same pixel density as the current iPhone. Then for apps that aren't updated to the new display, they could show as

or for apps that have top/bottom bars with a scroll view in the middle, they can scale

• Reply 19 of 181
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:

Exactly. I want a 4 to 4.5 inch screen on the next iPhone. I don't want something as huge as some of the new Android phones, but I definitely want something in the 4 to 4.5 inch range. A 4 inch iPhone could be perfect.
  • Reply 20 of 181
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I don't think 4.5" is realistic, that's getting to be a mini tablet. I would like a larger screen, I like a slightly larger physical screen real estate.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mistergsf View Post

I think about comments I've seen like this, then I also remember that I've seen plenty of young girls, even without purses, that seem to have no problem dealing with a larger phone.