Customers lining up for expanded international launch of Apple's new iPad [u]

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Overseas customers have begun lining up as Apple continues its fastest international rollout for the iPad yet with the release of the device in 25 new countries and territories.

Apple announced earlier this month that the second wave of third-generation iPad launches will take place this Friday.

The new tablet will go on sale at 8 a.m. local time in: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Macau, Mexico, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.

With iPad inventory in tight supply after launching just a week ago in 10 countries to "better-than-expected lines," customers have already begun lining up outside retail outlets. Several people on location in Mexico reported long lines outside of stores in the area.

The line for the new iPad in Mexico, via @Wikichava.

Federico Viticci of MacStories reported on Twitter that 60 people had already lined up outside of a store in Italy by 5:40 a.m. local time.

Apple revealed earlier this week that the first weekend of new iPad sales set a new record for the device. The company said it sold over three million units during launch weekend. Wireless carrier AT&T announced that it had set a single-day record for iPad sales and activations last Friday.

Wall Street is generally optimistic that the accelerated rollout of the iPad to new countries will provide an upside to their current estimates for the March quarter. A number of investment firms have raised their forecasts for the iPad in response to the strength of the launch. For instance, Evercore Partners' Rob Cihra upped his estimate for the first quarter of calendar 2012 from 10 million to 13 million iPad units.

Update: An earlier version of this article contained a different photo. That image has been taken down at the request of the owner.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The experience in the first round of countries was that getting in line was not ultimately necessary.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Still no avaliablity in India

Apple plz

• Reply 3 of 22
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The experience in the first round of countries was that getting in line was not ultimately necessary.

But it would have been if they hadn't been available for preorder online.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:

Have you ever tried to connect with 3-5 million customers in 10 + countries in a single weekend? Then, a week later, repeat in another 10 + countries...

The Super Bowl, at maximum, has about 100 thousand attendees [connections] in one day, in one country -- and that builds up over months -- not days! Then, it's over for a year!

• Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

As far as I know there is no preorders available in any of these new countries. In fact anyone who offered a preorder here in Finland was stopped by Apple.

The online Apple Store only today allows purchasing the new iPad.

That said I still got one today, but they were down to 3 remaining for that model.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    I find it heartwarming that standing in line to buy a new Apple product has become a world-wide phenomenon. Microsoft couldn't pull this off even if Ballmer was going to do his patented Monkey Boy dance outside the front door.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:

People don't usually stand in lines because they are worried they won't get it. They almost always do it for the fun factor.

E.g., anyone think that music stores would run out of the second Lady Gaga album on the first day? Yet there were huge lines outside multiple stores of Gaga fans.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    Quote:

.... they are like hens teeth where I live in England
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Why would so many consumers be queuing up for the new iPad? I figured that the notorious tales of the Heatgate Chronicles would have spread all around the globe by now. Would so many consumers take the risk of having their fingers singed to the bone by merely touching the back of the blazingly hot iPad? Of course, maybe in those colder climes, users wouldn't mind having a dual-purpose tablet/handwarmer for one low price.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

People don't usually stand in lines because they are worried they won't get it. They almost always do it for the fun factor.

E.g., anyone think that music stores would run out of the second Lady Gaga album on the first day? Yet there were huge lines outside multiple stores of Gaga fans.

They also want it ASAP.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:

Are you implying geeks on a tech oriented message boards would be puzzled by an inherently social activity?

Say it isn't so!
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Ah, Liechtenstein! I took a trip there while on a film in Austria. I walked from Schaan to Vaduz from the train to meet a producer. It's a beautiful city. I'm surprised they have an Apple store there, the size of the area is tiny when there are other much larger areas with no store. Of course, it is between Austria and Switzerland ( three stores on the Apple Store list) two of the wealthiest countries in Europe, if not the world. Or maybe it's a reseller, like Austria which has no Apple store but resellers.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I call fake. That photo is from Cloverfield.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Bought my first iPad today in Rome: I visited a TIM store (one of the italian mobile phone operators) and got a 64 Gb Black iPad, WiFi + 4G, complete with a data plan.

I went to the store at 12 noon local time, thinking that it was too late to find it, but there was no queue, and all models were available.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Bought a new iPad in the Apple Store in Amsterdam today. No queue, plenty in stock. Very nice store, by the way.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    No queues here in Belgium
  • Reply 17 of 22
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Have you ever tried to connect with 3-5 million customers in 10 + countries in a single weekend? Then, a week later, repeat in another 10 + countries...

The Super Bowl, at maximum, has about 100 thousand attendees [connections] in one day, in one country -- and that builds up over months -- not days! Then, it's over for a year!

I think ascii's point is valid. Unlike other iDevice releases they seem to have more supply than demand so you don't have to queue up early to make sure you get an iPad before that day/weekend shipment sells out.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    mttmtt Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

No queues here in Belgium

Wrong. Here's an article with pictures of the queue in Gent, Belgium. http://www.nieuwsblad.be/article/det...T_20120323_001
  • Reply 19 of 22
    buzzzbuzzz Posts: 84member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ninadpchaudhari View Post

Still no avaliablity in India

Apple plz

((((((((((India))))))))))
  • Reply 20 of 22
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MTT View Post

Wrong. Here's an article with pictures of the queue in Gent, Belgium. http://www.nieuwsblad.be/article/det...T_20120323_001

You account 40 people in 1 shop in an area where there is no alternative to that shop as a queue?