How to hook up an external hard drive wireless for wife and I to share for time mache

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a g-connect hard drive that I'm trying to hook up to my mac book pro and my wife's mac book pro. She has a 2008 mac book pro and i have a 2009. Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I have the external hard through my airport extreme and still can't get time machine. Any help I would be grateful!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    The G-connect page says it supports Time Machine backups so maybe you only need some of the steps described here to get the drive to show up:

http://code.stephenmorley.org/articl...network-drive/

Are you are able to connect to and mount the drive manually? If so, you should probably just need to do step 3c.

You can always use a different backup program like Carbon Copy Cloner and you get more control over space.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    themindthemind Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Armlocku View Post

I have the external hard through my airport extreme and still can't get time machine. Any help I would be grateful!

Are you using a USB or a network connection?
  • Reply 4 of 7

Network connection. I want to thank you guys for helping me on this. I have twin girls and I haven't been able to do too much online or anything.

• Reply 5 of 7

From memory you can format any drive as an OSX extended disk and plug it into the USB port on the airport to use it as a time machine drive. If you want to connect straight to a network drive look at this page - it may help. 

http://code.stephenmorley.org/articles/time-machine-on-a-network-drive/

I did something similar a few years ago but ended up changing to a program to copy areas of my mac to a folder on my home server which is then set to back itself up anyway.

Hope it helps

• Reply 6 of 7
    Thank you! I will use this.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    My wife's has a paper that she is trying access. We had it backed on the external hard, my computer is the only one that is working. Would have to hook up the external hard drive to my Mac? What would happen from there?