Adobe releases free public beta of Photoshop CS6

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They've lost their roots and they don't pay attention to half their user base.

Your hatred for Adobe is completely illogical. If you are a professional designer then you need them and make money using their products but if you are not a professional designer you are not part of the taget market for CS suite. Of course there are many many Adobe whiners who who are angry because they can't afford the application but since they have become used to enjoying the quality of their pirated apps they think they are part of the user base which they are not.

You also fail to recognize the millions of Acrobat Pro users in enterprise who have absolutely no complaints use the product daily and find it indispensible.
  • Reply 42 of 52
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:

Considering your responses to long time Apple "pro" apps users saying this I can honestly say this is about the most hysterical forum post I ever seen here. Thanks for the chuckle.
  • Reply 43 of 52
    Adobe late on Wednesday released a public beta of its first major update to Photoshop in two years, touting new 3D editing capabilities and a redesigned interface.The preview of Photoshop CS6 is available for download at the Adobe Labs website. The OS X version of the software is a free 984MB download.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

Considering your responses to long time Apple "pro" apps users saying this I can honestly say this is about the most hysterical forum post I ever seen here. Thanks for the chuckle.

I'd agree, not as an adobe shill, but as a developer and designer who uses at least 4 of their creative suite products daily. It's true, we want IDEs that don't crash, but they've at least addressed the issues with flash player (all of the ones i can think of by fp11.2 actually) and hopefully their IDEs and designer apps follow suit in stability now that they haven't needed to rewrite everything from carbon to cocoa.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

I'd agree, not as an adobe shill, but as a developer and designer who uses at least 4 of their creative suite products daily. It's true, we want IDEs that don't crash, but they've at least addressed the issues with flash player (all of the ones i can think of by fp11.2 actually) and hopefully their IDEs and designer apps follow suit in stability now that they haven't needed to rewrite everything from carbon to cocoa.

There are at least 50 reasons why Adobe is a terrible company, and 1,050 completely valid ones for hating them, but "They've lost their roots" and "they don't pay attention to half their user base" aren't on either list, and to lead with them is a bad sign.

I could also post plenty of inane Apple alert screencaps (much funnier than the Adobe example) and it wouldn't prove much.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

?now that they haven't needed to rewrite everything from carbon to cocoa.

Breaking: Apple drops all support for Carbon!

Quote:

I could also post plenty of inane Apple alert screencaps (much funnier than the Adobe example) and it wouldn't prove much.

That's not at all what I'm talking about.

I should be able to learn how to use one Adobe program and immediately know how to use all their other software. They make a suite of stuff. It's supposed to be inherently intertwined. They try to do that with Bridge and all their other bloatware, but that's not the point; the point is that you should know how to use Photoshop if you've used Illustrator. You should know how to use After Effects if you've used Premier Pro. And you CAN'T. You have to relearn keyboard shortcuts, menu item placement, and everything else. Do they operate similarly? Depends on what you're after and what you're using. But you can't do much baton passing right now.
  • Reply 47 of 52
    Quote:

I'd agree with that.

I remember using Photoshop 4 on my power mac back in the day. Love at first sight.

I liked PS7. Thought that was a decent version.

These days? Bloat. Sluggishness. Pc centric development.

Why have we waited years upon years for GPu acceleration?

Steve Jobs punctured their sales guy hubris over flash. A program that summed up everything that is wrong with Adobe. As the tide of portability began to tsunami both Microsoft and adobe they've been sent scrambling. Adobe had to undergo a massive climb down over flash as they belatedly offer HTML 5 support.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 48 of 52
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

the point is that you should know how to use Photoshop if you've used Illustrator. You should know how to use After Effects if you've used Premier Pro. And you CAN'T. You have to relearn keyboard shortcuts, menu item placement, and everything else. Do they operate similarly? Depends on what you're after and what you're using.

I think they are sharing as many UI components as Apples suite do. As for learning each app you should replace the titles with iWork apps and it would be exactly the same situation. Each app is different enough that you need to concentrate on the functions and features each offers. But none of that matters because Adobe is the only game in town when it comes to professional creative design applications.

Just for fun visit this link for a comparison:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...ple?n=creative

Click the sort by links on the left menu to see the complete offerings from Apple.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

But none of that matters because Adobe is the only game in town when it comes to professional creative design applications..

No it's not.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    Quote:

That's not at all what I'm talking about.

I should be able to learn how to use one Adobe program and immediately know how to use all their other software. They make a suite of stuff. It's supposed to be inherently intertwined. They try to do that with Bridge and all their other bloatware, but that's not the point; the point is that you should know how to use Photoshop if you've used Illustrator. You should know how to use After Effects if you've used Premier Pro. And you CAN'T. You have to relearn keyboard shortcuts, menu item placement, and everything else. Do they operate similarly? Depends on what you're after and what you're using. But you can't do much baton passing right now.

Well, first of all I'm anti Bridge for sure and there's plenty about the interfacing that's goofy. But it's misplaced to be searching for more intertwining of the programs in the OSX versions than there is. I completely don't see that if you've used Illustrator you should know PS. They work together to a certain degree and the rest you have to pull up to the bumper and learn where the stuff is. I'm not opposed to great integration between a companies apps, but I'll take good integration over things being dumbed down in order to make them easier to figure out (not saying that dumbing down is inevitable). To me there is important integration and not as important.

But the biggest thing we Mac users face with Adobe products is really that Windows is the elephant driving that truck. It's not that we're worth ignoring, but they always service the Windows users first and then we come some point down the road. So I guess I'm philosophical about why Adobe will never be closer to perfect on OSX, and I've never felt that part was going to change, good as it is and better as it should be.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    Quote:

But the biggest thing we Mac users face with Adobe products is really that Windows is the elephant driving that truck. It's not that we're worth ignoring, but they always service the Windows users first and then we come some point down the road.

Sorry that's just not true - as a user of both OSX and Windows, I can tell you that the Windows version of Photoshop CS5 is full of bugs and runs like a dead dog in glue.

The Mac version of CS5 is much better.
  • Reply 52 of 52
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

What a load of crap. Why does an image editor need "3D editing capabilities"?

Adobe already makes about fifty completely similar products, why not just make some crap 3D/image editor monstrosity for those few game designers that might need it and call it something else? Why junk up Photoshop with this stuff when 99% of the users won't need or want it?

Adobe has a lot of products that have shared features over their development. Regarding 3d editing, it's been used in print for years, although I'm not sure if this will truly lessen the jumping back and forth between applications. It's only in the extended version, and the software is still marketed as a professional product. It's also retained the price of one. Anyway, there are a lot of things they could improve, but quite a few of their tools are quite archaic. Look at the linear workflow options in after effects compared to Photoshop. Okay that's used more in video, but I'd seriously like to see full functionality at 32 bpc for dealing with spherical hdr and better workflow with high contrast images.

Your assessment of 99% isn't really based on anything anyway.

Quote:

Heaven forbid Adobe actually take the time to write software designed for the OS that is the reason the company exists at all.

Adobe annoys me just as much as Apple at times.

Quote:

Adobe software. Intuitive. Holy crap, that's funny.

I have to wonder what makes you think this way. If you look at other applications that came out of the 1990s like most of Adobe's suite, the issue of building things up over such a long period of time becomes fairly noticeable. They've actually kept it way more concise than some of the other software developers, and I can still hotkey most of the tools and frequent layer commands effectively.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by slakinov View Post

Sorry that's just not true - as a user of both OSX and Windows, I can tell you that the Windows version of Photoshop CS5 is full of bugs and runs like a dead dog in glue.

The Mac version of CS5 is much better.

I've noticed that the Windows version supports a more limited range of gpus. You know what it does have? 10 bit displayport drivers. This is probably my greatest running irritation with Apple.