34 hours with no sleep...interrsting things start to happenn

Comments

• Reply 61 of 222
    amazing how long this thread have existed!
  • Reply 62 of 222
    w.t.f.
  • Reply 63 of 222
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pscates View Post

I never went to sleep last night (up doing a project until 5:30...alarm goes off at six. I watched TV for thirty minutes because i was s afraid if i slept any, i woulnd't want to get back up again.

I'm all "fuzzy around the edges" and feel like I've had a whole lots of bbeers. I stood in the grocery store a while ago and just swayed badck and forth at the magazine rack.

I don't think i've ever gone this long with no sleep at all. Quite an odd sensation. I couldn't be a doctor and have to do those wild "36 on/36 off" emergency room hours, or whaetever it is they do.

STarting to hit me really good in the past half hour...there's NO WAY I'll make it to midnight.

I might not make it to the end of this post...

Ah yes... reminds me of my days in residency... you'll survive, just don't try to drive anywhere!
  • Reply 64 of 222
    i had a similar experience to what was mentioned about waking up and not being able to think at all ! its scary as shit and ironically i also played Tony Hawks skate boarding for over 16 hours , and didn't sleep till 1:00 in the day then i woke up and i couldn't think anything but how my perspective view is flipping around like the half pipe camera switched in the skating game , i had that situation for about 5 minutes and it started going away gradually till a gained some sense in my brain , it happened few more times and it still terrifies me ! but it happens only when i get busy with something for too long without getting proper sleep , i also have simplified cases of that when i wake up with a panic attack but i atleast aware where am i and who am i ... sleeping is some serious shit kids don't skip nights !
  • Reply 65 of 222
    It's like a terrible B-movie.

The Thread That Never Sleeps!
  • Reply 66 of 222
    I know that feeling. Just dont do it again because you might get used to it. Im an insomniac and man I want my old life back lol
  • Reply 67 of 222
    for my degree dissertation in 2010, i went through 36 hours straight. Been drinking coffees and a cheap substitute to Redbull called Boost. I drank a 1 lt bottle of that stuffs and trust me, that was the first and last time I drank that. It made my heart pumping fast and suffocation, but after half an hour, it worked and I seriously did not felt sleepy. I were editing, typing, printing the thesis for such long hours and once done, I remember that I could barely sleep again for the next two days.

I know on that long night and day, I said why we need to sleep when you can do so much things being awake...hope one day there will be something to make us awake for much long hours and less fatigue..

In 2012, I got another thesis and just now I'm about to do the same thing but much longer than the last time...
  • Reply 68 of 222

i always pull all nighter specially if it's exam week but i haven't done 38 hours straight. that must be something! i think it's hard...

• Reply 69 of 222
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandy009 View Post

i always pull all nighter specially if it's exam week but i haven't done 38 hours straight. that must be something! i think it's hard...

Again, ladies and gentlemen, not to preach but sleep deprivation is the fast track to psychosis and long-term mental illness. It's fun one or twice but beyond that, please be cautious.

There's a reason why sleep deprivation (banging on the cell wall, slapping, bright lights and noise, etc.) is a ~major~ torture technique.

• Reply 70 of 222

iv been up sense Monday and it's now Wednesday, and im seeing some werid shit right now, like im starting to see floaty's hovering around my room , i think im seeing house flys but im not..

And im taking 50 MG TRAZODONES ( Google it ) and they dont even work, i feel like im eating candy, i smoke pot 2 but that stopped helping me sleep when i was like 13 .. i guess it's time to up the Millgram on these peace of shit trazodones .. and trust me i tryed everything none of it works for me any more, it's kinda depressing . I think my body just gotten to dependent on pills to make me sleep or maybe im just to stressed out and cant get those voices to shut up, i dont know if anybody like me has problems with crap like this, maybe one day ill just grow out of this im only 17 by the way, Anyway let me know tho , it'll be nice to share the misery with somebody for once :)     

• Reply 71 of 222
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member

I like to think of this thread as a kind of mysterious confessional, where the sleepless and drug addled wander by every few years, completely unaware of the huge gaps between visits.  

• Reply 72 of 222

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

you'll probably get some really wierd/vivid dreams when you go to sleep aswell. Whatever you miss one night in dreaming is actually 'made up' for over the next couple of nights. Apparently no one really knows why you dream, but there are a couple of good theories and research about it. Ive been reading a 1000page book on psychology, of which a fair chunk was on sleep/dreaming.

Sweet dreams, or not!

oh yeah, I forgot to say, if you force yourself to stay awake you will actually go to sleep *standing up*, and if you (or usually someone else) stopped even this then you will *die*!. However its unlikely to happen, as eventually you would get so tired that it would become the singularly most important bodily drive and you would go to sleep even if it meant sleeping in a ton of horse shit, basically you wouldn't care!

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: MarcUK ]</p>

Cool! I'm going to stay up for 36 hours now just to see what they dreams are!

• Reply 73 of 222
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member

Quote:

Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

Cool! I'm going to stay up for 36 hours now just to see what they dreams are!

Yes, or you could get something that happened to me when I was 20... I would stay up all night, then go to bed at about 5am, wake up at say 9am. First few days, all fun and games. Then, at about 6am I would feel this cold presence in the room and I felt as though I was screaming but I didn't know if I was awake or asleep. 

Have fun :)

• Reply 74 of 222
    nancy znancy z Posts: 4member

Take care this is dangerous don't do it often!

• Reply 75 of 222

I have stayed up 7 days in a row that's when you really start seeing shit man the most hallucination's are based off of what your thinking about and what your watching (if your watching a movie,game or short youtube video) try not to think about or watch anything scary or creepy also you might get headache's and possibly vomiting if you stay up for 5 or more day's it's very hard to do but for some a fun challenge 

• Reply 76 of 222

Lol what punishment did you get?

• Reply 77 of 222

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Smith View Post

I have stayed up 7 days in a row that's when you really start seeing shit man the most hallucination's are based off of what your thinking about and what your watching (if your watching a movie,game or short youtube video) try not to think about or watch anything scary or creepy also you might get headache's and possibly vomiting if you stay up for 5 or more day's it's very hard to do but for some a fun challenge 

Yeah, I've been close to that...I think my record was 5 days....or so....much of it is just a blur now.

The first 2 days aren't too bad, by the fourth though you start noticing your heartbeat a lot more, and then the hallucinations kick in. 

BUT, if you do manage to stay up for five days, I guarantee you that the sleep that follows will be the most blissful thing you'll ever experience.  I think I slept close to a full day afterwards, like 24 hours.

• Reply 78 of 222
    Last year, I was busy preparing a party at 6am and it ended at 10pm straight. I have really never had a good night sleep after the party since I have a flight to catch up for my travel. So I ended up more than 48 hours without a sleep. I never felt sleepy the whole time since I was enjoying my trip and party. I don't even also feel that I am tired at all.
  • Reply 79 of 222

This thread is so golden, I signed in just to post.

Hitting hour 40 now. Texted my minimum wage job to tell I'm not coming in today. It might get me fired, but right now I don't care. I guess the reason for the insomnia was the INTENSE week at work. As in, 8 hours a night of running around unloading stock in a big department store. The kind of job that leaves you panting, sweating, and drinking water by the gallon. It's sale week now, plus Christmas stock is coming. You know how you're sometimes so tired and stressed out, you can't sleep? Yeah. 

Interesting effects include: resurgence of my anxiety/depression (been medicating for a few years, SSRI's, with very good results). Bouts of crying, shivers, and suicidal thoughts. If I wasn't so used to this, I'd be worried I might do something stupid.

there's like a pressure in my head that keeps me from staying still in bed, and my skin is kinda crawling, hot and cold at the same time.

Also, when I start drifting off to sleep, I get vivid dreams/ hallucinations. Its like the moment I close my eyes, a dream begins. And its really, really weird stuff. A dream, but one I'm conscious in, and much more lifelike. My fauvorite up until this point involved a sword fight with a shapeshifting monster, something akin to Giger's Alien, taking place in an abandoned temple on a frozen glacier. I nearly cr**ed my pants, but then I realized its a dream, and I WILLED myself awake. Then I look at the watch, and minutes have passed, where I experienced hours. And then this repeats every time I drift off, multiple times, each time with a new dream.

I'm actually surprised my writing is so lucid. But then again, maybe I just imagine it is, and in reality its the bastard child of Scientologic teachings and Dadaism. 

All in all, if you're planning to skip sleep, be damn sure to stay away from SSRI's and/or psychiatric conditions.

It's interesting to think what will happen with this thread. In 10 more years one of us might come back here, and spend the rest of the day looking for his jaw on the floor.

• Reply 80 of 222
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member

Just had to get my name in here because I will sure to see this thread again in another 10 years.

My personal experience was about 60 hours without sleep.  I stayed up for 2 days and 1 night to finish a final project, then celebrated its completion by a whole night of gaming with my friends, topped off with breakfast, poker game, incoherent rambling chit chat in the morning.  Next thing I know was waking up on friend's couch in the middle of night.