Ex Apple engineer claims Steve Jobs rejected new Apple TV UI 5 years ago [u]

Comments

• Reply 81 of 150
    morgajxmorgajx Posts: 32member
    I think the new UI is absolutely awful. The Icons are too big, some are half revealed ( which is the worst bit).

Some icons hold menus while others start apps. When the icons go into the the old menu it looks like a half-arsed attempt at something that never quite came off.

The AppleTV is a great device and can't understand how a company renowned for great design came up with a UI so crap.
  • Reply 82 of 150
    gijoeinlagijoeinla Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I just don't get why they wouldn't have just gone with a direct iOS lookalike though, you know?

Something like this.

1) Apple should sue this guy for slander. And who the hell fact checked his information. Anyone can claim Steve says or did this or that. Who the hell cares? And who really knows from guy OUT of the Apple circle for 5 f'ing years. 5 years people.

2) I have both ATV2 and ATV3. I happy for the improved interface as it flows way faster but clearly, clearly it's not a finished or refined interface.

3) My marketing background tells me the interface smells like a intermediary to something really cool and unlocked. The UI is moving the consumer into the device people not the other way around.

4) Reality check - these forums are populated by core consumers who either love or hate Apple. Working as an exec in the entertainment industry has taught me that while keeping the core happy is important it's the mass market that pushes the growth in a product forward.

5) The whining and moaning. Really. I love Apple TV and you will all live what's coming so be patient and stop having tantrums. Thankfully Apple doesn't react to such whines. Geez us

6) As predicted - I already got a breaking news email from Seeking Alpha broadcasting this to analysts - insane.
  • Reply 83 of 150
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by morgajx View Post

I think the new UI is absolutely awful. The Icons are too big, some are half revealed ( which is the worst bit).

They are taking design cues for the pinnacle of design that is ms...sad...

arketp ftw!!!!
  • Reply 84 of 150
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gijoeinla View Post

1) Apple should sue this guy for slander.

I guess that's the answer to everything these days for apple...
  • Reply 85 of 150
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Actually what is rubbish is the insitance that a vast number of apple's user base who are despising the inane iOS-ification of pretty much anything apple, resulting in some pretty bad ui choices -with the atv exemplifying this- are somehow against apple, or seriously misguided, or behind the times, or whatever...and the short sightedness by apple's management thinking that if they make everything look like iOS, regardless of the requirements of the appliance they make, they will sell more. They will sell more in the short term but in the long term they 'll dilute so much of what apple is about, pushing the limits of innovation and design for consumer products as well as NOT pandering to immediate market expectations that it will cost them dearly.

Apple doesn't have to be a boutique tech manufacturer like they used to, but they can't either be an everything to everyone manufacturer as they are aiming to be now. The brand will go to shit if everything looks like ios (which is also starting to date) eventually. There is a fine line between uniformity of style and banality. In the case of the atv uniformity to ios means interfaces that are neither very functional nor very well designed. Is that what post SJ apple is aiming at? No matter how much Margolis sugar coats his bitting and revealing comments, it takes a stretch of the imagination to consider this a smart move.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by morgajx View Post

Some icons hold menus while others start apps. When the icons go into the the old menu it looks like a half-arsed attempt at something that never quite came off.

A

The AppleTV is a great device and can't understand how a company renowned for great design came up with a UI so crap.

I'd love to know how you two would strengthen Apple's ecosystem.
  • Reply 86 of 150
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'd live to know how you two would strengthen Apple's ecosystem.

By becoming Android developers. Then their taste and experience would be right at home.
  • Reply 87 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Apple doesn't have to be a boutique tech manufacturer like they used to, but they can't either be an everything to everyone manufacturer as they are aiming to be now.

I don't think that they are trying to be an everythig to everyone manufacturer. Their range of products is narrow.

They seem to aim at the profitablility sweet spots. They sell whatever makes the most profits. Upper midrange computers in luxurious packaging, easy-to-use smartphones, easy-to-use tablets and music players are all they got.

They do not really sell out of a narrow range - but the range includes good-to-high volumes and large profit percentages.

They have a niche, and they don't stray into others quickly. Their niche is high-profit items which sell in reasonable volume. So far, it has worked very well for them.

I would not expect that they will change quickly, but I also would expect them to use whatever elements they feel will increase volume and profits together. If that means iOS everywhere, they will do it.
  • Reply 88 of 150
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    The engineer in the article failed to mention he was the one that came up with the god awful UI.

Thus is why is is now "former" engineer.
  • Reply 89 of 150
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

I don't think that they are trying to be an everythig to everyone manufacturer. Their range of products is narrow.

They seem to aim at the profitablility sweet spots. They sell whatever makes the most profits. Upper midrange computers in luxurious packaging, easy-to-use smartphones, easy-to-use tablets and music players are all they got.

They do not really sell out of a narrow range - but the range includes good-to-high volumes and large profit percentages.

They have a niche, and they don't stray into others quickly. Their niche is high-profit items which sell in reasonable volume. So far, it has worked very well for them.

I would not expect that they will change quickly, but I also would expect them to use whatever elements they feel will increase volume and profits together. If that means iOS everywhere, they will do it.

I think that is very accurate.
  • Reply 90 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I just don't get why they wouldn't have just gone with a direct iOS lookalike though, you know?

Something like this.

I think that is an excellent suggestion. Even more so if the interface can be customised using an iOS app or a Lion app rather than having to use the small remote control which can be a bit of a pain in the arse at times. The more the Apple TV interface becomes like the iPad interface the better as far as I am concerned - with locks screens and multiple home screens.

It is obvious that the iOS based Apple TV software has this capability built in, so why not use it?
  • Reply 91 of 150
    milkmagemilkmage Posts: 152member
    I don't mind the new UI.

If there are apps coming, the old pulldown menus would be really bad (REALLY BAD)

the new look lends itself to apps.

remember.. 5 years ago, there was no app store... now iOS, and MacOS have a smilar layout - pretty sure Jobs approved the phone, ipad and Launch Pad.

this supports the rumors that some kind of Apple TV (set?) was at least being considered

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...pple-tv-298300
  • Reply 92 of 150
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by milkmage View Post

I don't mind the new UI.

If there are apps coming, the old pulldown menus would be really bad (REALLY BAD)

the new look lends itself to apps.

remember.. 5 years ago, there was no app store... now iOS, and MacOS have a smilar layout - pretty sure Jobs approved the phone, ipad and Launch Pad.

this supports the rumors that some kind of Apple TV (set?) was at least being considered

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...pple-tv-298300

Why would "a menu" called "Apps" be bad?
  • Reply 93 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

to whomever (not you Zither):

another example of a 10% post...

told you he is a worthy poster and NOT a troll or a hater or whatever name you wish to think him.
  • Reply 94 of 150
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It is a startlingly bad UI from almost any point of view and for a variety of reasons.

People here took me to task when I said Steve would never approve of it. It seems I might have been correct though.

Prof just curious what makes a great UI?

Just because one disgruntled ex engineer said it was rejected by SJ meant it a bad UI.

Do you know how Apple will be enhancing it a few years down the road? SJ is not always right and ex engineer who mentioning this may be out to damage the reputation of Apple.

Hindsight makes perfect vision so how about telling what great UI Apple should be developing tomorrow?
  • Reply 95 of 150
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    I'm totally ok with mine. I typically use the remote app to navigate around and since this is my first ATV i'm not wedded to the former UI.
  • Reply 96 of 150
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    He tried to make it sound like Steve didn't like like that UI and dumb Tim Cook and/or dumb Jonny Ive decided to use it anyway and that there's only one person designing such things (and I guess he's an idiot). Then recants and says 'oh no that's not the truth'

it feels like we need to create a new verb for things kinds of things. shall we call it to daisey something. After our fav not so truth teller.
  • Reply 97 of 150
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They should also make it more clear that Movies, TV Shows and Music are pointing you to the iTunes Store, not your already purchased or networked content. Are they all in the same button or do you have to go to Computers for it? I don't know because it's not obvious.

Very valid complaint. It is not intuitive at all. Tallest suggestion of using icons more like iOS would potentially solve that by putting it in the same purple icon for buying/renting and the same video/music/photos icons folks know
  • Reply 98 of 150
    ericblrericblr Posts: 172member
    I preferred the old interface as well. It was much more organized.
  • Reply 99 of 150
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    The icon grid is great, I just don't like the styling. Hoping they're a bit of a stop-gap so that the REAL release of AppleTV this fall can blow people's minds.
  • Reply 100 of 150
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Bring back the old interface - just in 1080P.

Why have those stupid icons if there isn't an App store or a way to delete the wants you don't want?

Ridiculous.

Btw I hate the Lion icons on my Mac too- makes the Mac now look like a computer for idiots.