Thermal testing shows new iPad no hotter than Android tablets, notebooks

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

New thermal testing of the latest third generation iPad by PCWorld has confirmed what CNET reported last week: "the issue seems to be overblown," the magazine stated.

PCWorld tests tablets' temperatures

Infrared thermometer testing by PCWorld found that the new third generation iPad can run 2-7 degrees Fahrenheit (less than 4 degrees Celsius) hotter than the previous iPad 2, but noted that its temperature readings were inline with comparable tablets, including the Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime and Samsung Galaxy 10.1.

The site noted that temperatures rose during charging, but that even when continuously playing a computationally intensive game for a hour while plugged into a power adapter, the highest reading they could capture was 100 degrees Fahrenheit (about 38 degrees Celsius), within 2 degrees of the Galaxy tablet.

Operating under battery power, the latest iPad hit a top temperature reading of 97 degrees Fahrenheit (about 36 degrees Celsius) in the tests, a similar spread of about 6 degrees Fahrenheit hotter than iPad 2, but a degree cooler than the more similarly specced Galaxy tablet.

"Despite all of the media attention over the iPad's (and other tablets') operating temperatures, the issue seems to be overblown. None of the four tablets we tested ever get so warm that I could detect screen discoloration of the type that some users of early units of the iPhone 4 reported," the report stated.

"Asus's Transformer Prime, Apple's iPad 2, and the new iPad all have metal backs, which pull heat away from the internal components, whereas the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 has a plastic back," the magazine noted.

"All four tablets get warmer when their brightness is set to maximum. And all will get warmer still if they are sitting in a case or are parked on an insulating surface such as a blanket or your jeans."

CNET compares iPad to notebooks

The PCWorld tests were inline with numbers reported by CNET, which found in its tests that "the new 2012 iPad runs warmer than the iPad 2, but it's no hotter than many laptops under similar conditions," adding that "the operating temperature is no reason for CNET to change its buying recommendation (the new iPad is currently the highest rated tablet on our site, and an Editors' Choice)."

Its testing did not measure temperatures higher than 98 degrees Fahrenheit (about 36 degrees Celsius; cooler than the human body temperature) on the new iPad even when setting the screen brightness to high and continuously playing Infinity Blade for 2 hours and 45 minutes. Playing Netflix movies over WiFi the new iPad's hottest point was 85 degrees Fahrenheit (about 29 degrees Celsius).

CNET also ran compatible tests on conventional laptops, and reported that Apple's i5 MacBook Pro ran about the same temperature as the new iPad when similarly playing Netflix movies at full brightness, while a similarly configured Dell Inspiron reached a peak temperature of 113 degrees Fahrenheit (about 45 degrees Celsius) playing games.

"The higher temperature generated by the new iPad compared with the iPad 2 was noticeable to the touch but not uncomfortably so. The warmest point we recorded on the iPad is the Apple logo on the back. In our tests it got up to 98 degrees, but it's important to put that number into perspective. Ninety-eight degrees may sound high, but that's actually less than your normal body temperature," the site noted.

Consumer Reports iPad testing

Last week, Consumer Reports reported temperature readings on the new iPad as high at 116 degrees Fahrenheit (about 47 degrees Celsius) while charging, activating 4G LTE, and continuously playing "Infinity Blade II" for 45 minutes.

"During our tests, I held the new iPad in my hands. When it was at its hottest, it felt very warm but not especially uncomfortable if held for a brief period," Donna L. Tapellini wrote for the magazine.

Epic's graphic intensive "Infinity Blade" series of games is not available for Android.

Following a minor media frenzy surrounding the new iPad's temperature readings, Apple's spokesperson Trudy Miller issued the statement, "the new iPad delivers a stunning Retina display, A5X chip, support for 4G LTE plus 10 hours of battery life, all while operating well within our thermal specifications."

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 87
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Well, I recommend Infinity Blade gets ported to Android just for the humor of watching that trash literally combust spontaneously simply from watching the beginning trailer sequence.

What a surprise. As usual, when the truth comes out the Android Fanboys and iHaters once again were spewing their typical nonsense.

How are they going to spin this story now?
  • Reply 2 of 87
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Well, I recommend Infinity Blade gets ported to Android just for the humor of watching that trash literally combust spontaneously simply from watching the beginning trailer sequence.

What a surprise. As usual, when the truth comes out the Android Fanboys and iHaters once again were spewing their typical nonsense.

Easily. ITS DED
  • Reply 3 of 87
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

They'll accuse PC World of lying, of course.

The interesting thing is that with at least 4 published reports, NO ONE has seen temperatures over 100 degrees while CR claimed 116 degrees. Given CR's history of lying, I'm very suspicious of their results.
  • Reply 4 of 87
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Anyone get any videos higher than 1080 play. Would think a a system could play at its native resolution.
  • Reply 5 of 87
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Anyone get any videos higher than 1080 play. Would think a a system could play at its native resolution.

What does this have to do with the article?

Oh right, you're the new AI troll account.
  • Reply 6 of 87
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I?m sure Consumer Reports will now note that despite massively higher power needs for the new screen and graphics, this new iPad matches the heat dissipation of lesser devices! Impressive.
  • Reply 7 of 87
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    I don't think there was ever an honest debate about whether the new iPad runs as hot as many laptops. It doesn't. Frankly, this whole thing is a non-issue that began simply because many of us who bought a new iPad were surprised by how much warmer it runs than our previous iPad. My new wifi iPad definitely runs warmer than my previous wifi iPad 2. But does it run hot? No, not really. Just warmer than I expected.

The new screen is frigging amazing.
  • Reply 8 of 87
    Quote:

This whole thing was incredibly stupid from the get go. But I wouldn't go cheerleading these results either. The iPad 3rd gen only comes out cooler than the Tab 10.1 in one test, in one category by 1 degree. As the joker said, let's not blow this out of proportion.
  • Reply 9 of 87
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    The following was posted on Daring Fireball a few days ago. It's a good analysis of slippery language devoid of critical information. In essence: they called it. I've been knew to tech over the last few years since I first got a smart phone (no jokes, please), and it has been a wonder to watch how much deliberately misleading information is placed in print. It really is very much like the tech equivalent of local religion or local football home-teams...people really do just pick one side and enjoy blasting the other side. It's amazing. I'm wondering how much is money/stock driven, and how much is just sheer away-team bashing. That intoxicating feeling of tearing down the competition...on "paper"...

http://www.marco.org/2012/03/20/cons...sensationalism
  • Reply 10 of 87
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    I would like to know what the room ambient temp was for the tests as that makes a difference.

I used to work in a testing facility and we had to measure "temperature rise." That is the measure of the difference between ambient temp when device is not under power and the operating temp. The theory goes, that the rise "should" be consistent depending on the starting temperature. Start testing at 70 degrees and the operating temp goes to 90 degrees gives a 20 degree rise. So, if you test starting with ambient temp at 100 degrees, you should get an operating temp of 120 degrees.

So...it is relevant what the ambient temperature was for the Consumer Reports tests, end user tests, and tests referenced in this article. (results also should be consistent across all devices tested)

Tom
  • Reply 11 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

This whole thing was incredibly stupid from the get go. But I wouldn't go cheerleading these results either. The iPad 3rd gen only comes out cooler than the Tab 10.1 in one test, in one category by 1 degree. As the joker said, let's not blow this out of proportion.

You're missing the point entirely. No one ever claimed that the iPad 3 ran at lower temperatures than the Tab 10.1 (at least, I haven't seen any such claims).

The issue is that a bunch of attention grabbers and Apple haters were claiming that the iPad 3 was getting very hot. Showing that it's roughly the same temperature debunks that claim (although one could argue that with 4 times the resolution and LTE, it would be expected to run hotter than the Tb, so the fact that it doesn't IS an accomplishment).
  • Reply 12 of 87
    deetsdeets Posts: 2member
    Seems to me that battery technology is the limiting factor in mobile tech, and that the display is the biggest power hog. This isn't exactly news, but the increase in temperature and thickness and weight and charging time, while not killer issues IMO, are clearly compromises. And I'm not just talking about Apple.

The new iPad display is as good as it ever has to be. It's amazing.

Any bets on new battery technology?
  • Reply 13 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

The following was posted on Daring Fireball a few days ago. It's a good analysis of slippery language devoid of critical information. In essence: they called it. I've been knew to tech over the last few years since I first got a smart phone (no jokes, please), and it has been a wonder to watch how much deliberately misleading information is placed in print. It really is very much like the tech equivalent of local religion or local football home-teams...people really do just pick one side and enjoy blasting the other side. It's amazing. I'm wondering how much is money/stock driven, and how much is just sheer away-team bashing. That intoxicating feeling of tearing down the competition...on "paper"...

http://www.marco.org/2012/03/20/cons...sensationalism

He understates the case for CR simply looking for attention. I've seen at least 4 other reports of iPad temperatures and NONE of them have gotten over 100 degrees - much less 116 degrees.

CR's report is highly suspect.
  • Reply 14 of 87
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

I would like to know what the room ambient temp was for the tests as that makes a difference.

I used to work in a testing facility and we had to measure "temperature rise." That is the measure of the difference between ambient temp when device is not under power and the operating temp. The theory goes, that the rise "should" be consistent depending on the starting temperature. Start testing at 70 degrees and the operating temp goes to 90 degrees gives a 20 degree rise. So, if you test starting with ambient temp at 100 degrees, you should get an operating temp of 120 degrees.

So...it is relevant what the ambient temperature was for the Consumer Reports tests, end user tests, and tests referenced in this article. (results also should be consistent across all devices tested)

Tom

CR specified ambient as 72˚F. PC World stated ambient was "comfortable and controlled". Both used IR thermometers. I doubt either was calibrated for emissivity.
  • Reply 15 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

... it would be expected to run hotter than the Tb, so the fact that it doesn't IS an accomplishment).

Except it does in 11/12 cases and by 12-14 degrees after an hour of playing. Good spin though.
  • Reply 16 of 87
    When Apple products give off normal heat, it's a scandal of Consumer Reports proportions.
  • Reply 17 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

He understates the case for CR simply looking for attention. I've seen at least 4 other reports of iPad temperatures and NONE of them have gotten over 100 degrees - much less 116 degrees.

CR's report is highly suspect.

The irony is that I've been approached by non-iPad/non-Apple owners who have asked me if my iPad gets too hot because they've heard this on the blogosphere. Consumer Reports' goal of smearing Apple has succeeded; it hardly matters that other sites could not replicate their results. Mike Daisey would be proud.
  • Reply 18 of 87
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    How long before the 1st degree burn lawsuits start pouring in?
  • Reply 19 of 87
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    The iPad is definitely HOTTER.

But I'm not talking about temperature
  • Reply 20 of 87
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The irony is that I've been approached by non-iPad/non-Apple owners who have asked me if my iPad gets too hot because they've heard this on the blogosphere. Consumer Reports' goal of smearing Apple has succeeded; it hardly matters that other sites could not replicate their results. Mike Daisey would be proud.

That's funny. I've been asked the same thing.