Media: Everything Kills You

2»

Comments

• sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 16,121member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Honestly, the truth is that white rice CAN make you fat, if the rest of your diet is not appropriate for a rice heavy diet. It's not that the rice is the problem, it's the rest of the diet that is the problem, and the rice can make it worse. If you have a fast food diet and don't eat a lot of white rice, you might not get as fat as you would if you have a fast food diet and a lot of rice.

That sounds reasonable, but I'm not sure it's actually true. What the original article was about was simply white rice consumption, especially among Asian populations who tend consume a lot of it. The idea was that white rice consumption alone could contribute. I simply think it's nonsense.

Quote:

It's just like cholesterol. I get sick and tired of people saying they can't eat certain foods because they contain too much cholesterol. The fact is that you can eat as much cholesterol as you want without having a cholesterol problem if you eat enough foods containing antioxidants and other nutrients so that you can use the cholesterol you need and neutralize and get rid of the rest properly. It's not the cholesterol that's the problem, it's the rest of your diet.

It's not the rice that's the problem, it's the rest of your diet.

Again, I'm not sure that's true either. There are a lot of other factors, from exercise to genetics to overall saturated consumption (it's not just pure cholesterol).
  • brbr Posts: 8,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

That sounds reasonable, but I'm not sure it's actually true. What the original article was about was simply white rice consumption, especially among Asian populations who tend consume a lot of it. The idea was that white rice consumption alone could contribute. I simply think it's nonsense.

What about their methodology do you find to be nonsense? Was there something wrong with the manner in which the study was conducted?

Quote:

I simply think it's nonsense.

On what grounds? You don't like the results?
  • hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,268member
    Quote:

You left out the last two paragraphs of your link. YOU left it out. Why?

What the hell are you babbling about? This thread is about how the media and their government handlers tell us everything is killing us...in this case white rice. If you want to start a thread on GM or animal cruelty, go right ahead.

I've not read the last two paragraphs!

If one eats lots of fish, veg etc and rice, great. But if one eats fried fat with rice, there might be a problem. Pretty obvious really. Rice is high carb. It's all about balance. Lame thread, if that's all it's about.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BR View Post

What about their methodology do you find to be nonsense? Was there something wrong with the manner in which the study was conducted?

My problem is not with their methodology. My problem is with the nonsensical conclusion...that high levels of rice consumption cause (or are linked to) type 2 diabetes. If this were true, there would be a diabetes epidemic among Asians for no other reason than rice consumption. Given this has been a staple of their diet for thousands of years, that clearly doesn't make sense. The problem is not white rice. It's everything else, from less active lifestyles to higher fat foods available today. This is literally common sense.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I've not read the last two paragraphs!

If one eats lots of fish, veg etc and rice, great. But if one eats fried fat with rice, there might be a problem. Pretty obvious really. Rice is high carb. It's all about balance. Lame thread, if that's all it's about.

You're going down the same road as tonton. But that's not really what the study shows. Secondly, the thread is about how the media claims pretty much everything kills you. You're calling that topic lame?
  • trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,200member
    Quote:

They study was a meta-analysis. It did not attempt to isolate for non-rice factors.
    Quote:

My problem is not with their methodology. My problem is with the nonsensical conclusion...that high levels of rice consumption cause (or are linked to) type 2 diabetes. If this were true, there would be a diabetes epidemic among Asians for no other reason than rice consumption. Given this has been a staple of their diet for thousands of years, that clearly doesn't make sense. The problem is not white rice. It's everything else, from less active lifestyles to higher fat foods available today. This is literally common sense.

Nope, you're not reading the same article I am.

Quote:

"But I see a consistency across these studies, and there is biological plausibility that supports the association between white rice consumption and diabetes."

Correlation and causation are not the same thing. (Though, this clearly explains your positions on many other issues if you have trouble distinguishing the two.) You do not get to say "link" and then substitute interchange that word with "cause" as if the two are the same.

This thread is a perfect example of why people in this country need to be scientifically literate.
    Quote:

You're going down the same road as tonton. But that's not really what the study shows. Secondly, the thread is about how the media claims pretty much everything kills you. You're calling that topic lame?

If people read studies like these who eat a lot of white rice, they might think to themselves I'll eat brown brice instead, and have a more balanced diet. It's a bit lame to even attack the media over it. Plenty of people still don't get it, and frankly the better informed they are the less we'll pay in taxes.
    Quote:

Nope, you're not reading the same article I am.

Correlation and causation are not the same thing. (Though, this clearly explains your positions on many other issues if you have trouble distinguishing the two.) You do not get to say "link" and then substitute interchange that word with "cause" as if the two are the same.

This thread is a perfect example of why people in this country need to be scientifically literate.

Is it even possible for you to discuss something without personally attacking others? Whether or not the study is valid, the article is at least misleading and more likely, sensational. Possibly both.

Quote:

"What we've found is white rice is likely to increase the risk of Type 2 diabetes, especially at high consumption levels such as in Asian populations," Qi Sun of the Harvard School of Public Health told AFP.

and then there is this little tidbit:

Quote:

In the studies carried out in China and Japan, those who ate most rice were 55 percent likelier to develop the disease than those who ate least. In the United States and Australia, where consumption of rice is far lower, the difference was 12 percent.

Participants in the two Asian countries ate three or four servings of rice a day on average, compared to just one or two servings a week in the Western countries.

You don't see the problem here? All other factors are ignored, from exercise, to medications taken, to other parts of the diet. The clear headline is: White rice causes diabetes. Sure, we can debate correlation vs. causation...but how many people that skim the article over their morning coffee will do that? It's simply another example of something else that "kills you" according to the scare-stream media .
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

If people read studies like these who eat a lot of white rice, they might think to themselves I'll eat brown brice instead, and have a more balanced diet. It's a bit lame to even attack the media over it. Plenty of people still don't get it, and frankly the better informed they are the less we'll pay in taxes.

Are you for real?
    SDW, YOU sensationalized the article. I saw plenty of restrained language and not once did I see the article claim that white rice CAUSED diabetes. You made that connection because you appear to fail at basic reading comprehension here.

Linking white rice to an increased risk of diabetes DOES NOT MEAN white rice causes diabetes.

The VERY NEXT PARAGRAPH is a quote from the scientists saying not to focus on a single food but on a pattern of consumption.

BREAKING NEWS: Halfway decent science article that actually shows some restraint SENSATIONALIZED BY SDW2001 IN HIS WAR AGAINST THE MEDIA
    Quote:

SDW, YOU sensationalized the article. I saw plenty of restrained language and not once did I see the article claim that white rice CAUSED diabetes. You made that connection because you appear to fail at basic reading comprehension here.

Linking white rice to an increased risk of diabetes DOES NOT MEAN white rice causes diabetes.

The VERY NEXT PARAGRAPH is a quote from the scientists saying not to focus on a single food but on a pattern of consumption.

BREAKING NEWS: Halfway decent science article that actually shows some restraint SENSATIONALIZED BY SDW2001 IN HIS WAR AGAINST THE MEDIA

I'll take that as a "no, it's not possible for me to discuss anything without attacking others." If you disagree that the media sensationalizes every little thing that is "bad" for us, then go ahead and make that case. Otherwise, go screw.
    The article you bring to the table fails to sensationalize anything. That's what's so fucking ironic. You misinterpret the article and then get mad at the media. The problem here is not the media. The problem, in this case, is you.
    Quote:

Are you for real?

Heavens, I am!

Don't worry, plenty will ignore the evidence, and still vote Repub.
  • jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member

The Illusion of Free Speech

“The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there’s free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate.”

— Noam Chomsky

source
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

The Illusion of Free Speech

?The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there?s free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate.?

? Noam Chomsky

source

Not a big Chomsky fan, though I do agree in principal. Controversial opinions (usually conservative or libertarian in nature) are simply not allowed...lest one be denounced as "out of the mainstream."
  • floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    Yea these days we are lacking different opinions 'cause were so limited to the TV networks for our information.
  • marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Honestly, the truth is that white rice CAN make you fat, if the rest of your diet is not appropriate for a rice heavy diet. It's not that the rice is the problem, it's the rest of the diet that is the problem, and the rice can make it worse. If you have a fast food diet and don't eat a lot of white rice, you might not get as fat as you would if you have a fast food diet and a lot of rice.

It's just like cholesterol. I get sick and tired of people saying they can't eat certain foods because they contain too much cholesterol. The fact is that you can eat as much cholesterol as you want without having a cholesterol problem if you eat enough foods containing antioxidants and other nutrients so that you can use the cholesterol you need and neutralize and get rid of the rest properly. It's not the cholesterol that's the problem, it's the rest of your diet.

It's not the rice that's the problem, it's the rest of your diet.

They say white rice has sugar which is contained in there.Brown rice is more healthy.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

They say white rice has sugar which is contained in there.Brown rice is more healthy.

Wow, professor...did you come up with that by yourself?