iTunes & Multiple Audio Tracks

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2015
I have some movies on which I'd like to put multiple audio tracks. Here's what I'm doing.

First, I add the second audio track in Subler and save.

Returning to iTunes, I'm not given the option to switch in iTunes or QuickTime 10.

So I go back to Subler and turn one track off, saving again.

Now I'm given the option to switch.

But the audio doesn't work. The standard track works fine. Switching to the other one makes a popping sound and then pure silence. Switching back works fine. This also happens in QuickTime 10.

So I tried to enable/disable via QuickTime 7 Pro.

Turning a track off forces me to resave the file, but not like Subler, oh, no. QuickTime 7 Pro forces me to reencode the whole thing as an MOV, which takes forever and is pointless.

I've done this without having to save before. What's going on? How do I add a second, selectable audio track that works on things in iTunes without QuickTime 7 Pro forcing me to save MP4s as MOVs and [insert any audio filetype with zero video whatsoever here] as MOVs as well?!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Been waiting for itunes to do this for a long time.

You perhaps know all that functionality is in VLC already?

If a QT move has a passthru AC3 track, it would be great to be able to switch on all movies

and not just the ones bought from the itunes store as well as switching subtitle tracks on and off.

If there is a standard that can be adopted as seems to be the case with VLC player.

thanx, best
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Wait, you're saying that I can successfully add the second audio track via VLC and it'll operate correctly in iTunes?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Sorry, no that is not what I am saying. Have not tried that.

I routinely export work I have done to QT movies with embedded AC3 (for passthru) tracks.

Those QT-mv4 files can be played back with ac3 passthru, downmixed stereo on computer

and with and without the subtitles in VLC. Not so in QT player or iTunes so far.

FWIW YMMV

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wait, you're saying that I can successfully add the second audio track via VLC and it'll operate correctly in iTunes?

• Reply 4 of 14
    Still confused. I've done this before with other movie files and it worked perfectly. I've forgotten how I did it, so I'm trying to find out a way that doesn't require a second, useless encode in HandBrake. I just want to embed two audio tracks to a movie file. This can't be that hard.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Confused about this too frankly...

Handbrake encodes do not give these options in iTunes either AFAIK

but work perfectly in VLC
  • Reply 6 of 14
    and just to be clear:

that includes multiple ac3 tracks and the ability to play them as passthru or decoded and downmixed to stereo for laptop.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Okay, let's tear this question apart.

How's this:

Since QuickTime 7 Pro won't extract and save audio files as MP3 (or any kind of audio, for that matter), what's an application that will?

Since QuickTime 7 Pro is being an idiot and won't let me add secondary audio tracks without reencoding, what's an application that will? Subler should theoretically work, but isn't.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    I figured it out! In subler, set the second audio track's "alternate group" to 1 (the same as the regular audio track's alternate group)
  • Reply 9 of 14
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arolson101 View Post

I figured it out! In subler, set the second audio track's "alternate group" to 1 (the same as the regular audio track's alternate group)

Wow, this thread?

Thanks a lot for that! And thank you for posting an answer here when I'd forgotten about doing it after discovering the same a good while ago. Now if other people have this problem, it'll be searchable.
  • Reply 10 of 14

Brilliant! Works perfectly, I can now select the audio track I desire in iTunes or on Apple TV. Such a simple workaround in Subler, a pity iFlicks doesn't have the same capacity for encoding multiple audio tracks! Or does it??

• Reply 11 of 14
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    arolson101 wrote: »

That's certainly very kind of you. Pity it took 14 months and 10 days, but you got it! U da man! :D
  • Reply 12 of 14
    i use a software called iDealshare VideoGo to [URL=http://www.idealshare.net/add-music-to-video.html]add multiple audio track to video files[/URL] it can add all kinds of audio track to any video format like MKV, MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV and etc
  • Reply 13 of 14
    i use a software called iDealshare VideoGo to add additional audio track to video files it can add all kinds of audio track to any video format like MKV, MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV and etc
  • Reply 14 of 14

was googling for the same problem found this thread and problem solved! Thanks arolson101 ;)

Anyone know how to set the "alternate group" in ffmpeg?