Rumor: Apple working on 5-inch Retina display device for 2013

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

Apple is working on a new device with a 5-inch high-resolution Retina display set to launch in 2013, according to a new report.

Citing a Chinese source, Japanese website Macotakara reported on Wednesday that this new mystery product will have a screen resolution of either 1,600 pixels by 960 pixels, or 1,280 by 960 pixels.

Apple is said to be working with LCD suppliers in preparation for the new device. It was not said whether the new product would be a larger iPod touch, a smaller iPad, or something else entirely.

The report comes on the heels of another recent rumor that claimed Apple's next-generation iPhone would feature a 4.6-inch Retina display, significantly larger than the 3.5-inch screen currently found on the iPhone and iPod touch.

There have been numerous indications of late that Apple is experimenting with a number of potential screen sizes for touchscreen devices, though it's questionable whether any of the products, including the latest rumored 5-inch device, will ever see the light of day. There have been repeated rumors that Apple has experimented with a smaller iPad sporting a 7-inch screen, though the late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs panned devices of that size as unsuitable years ago.

As recently as this month, there have been claims that Apple is working on a 7.85-inch iPad that the company could release as early as this year. App Advice even offered a potential justification for that screen size in an editorial on Wednesday in which it noted a 7.85-inch iPad with a screen resolution of 1,024 by 768 pixels would have 163 pixels per inch — the same resolution as pre-retina iPhone and iPod touch displays.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    My prediction? Apple is working on a device with a 1" screen. Or a 2" screen. Or a 3" screen. Or a 4" screen. Or some other size, but my sources tell me it will probably be under 20 feet diagonal.

One of those guesses will be right. See - I'm as good as the bloggers and analysts.
  • Reply 2 of 51
    The title of this post makes me never want to look at this site again. It would be different if they posted this 3 days from now...

To the previous post.....
  • Reply 3 of 51
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    You remember those fake projects that Apple would assign new hires to?

• Reply 4 of 51
  • Reply 5 of 51
    I have justification for a 4.45" display, almost 4.6". A 4.45" display with 1280x720 resolution would have a pixel density identical to the 4/4S, so onscreen elements would be physically the exact same size, but overall real estate would be higher.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    It’s more than just “rumor” that Apple works on all KINDS of things behind the scenes, and you may be sure many different sizes of iOS device are among them.

It’s also more than rumor that most of them never leave the labs.

I don’t think this counts as a “report” yet.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    I hope they call it the iNote and it includes a stylus.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Ok, so 5" iPhone is due 2013? See you then Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    ...That this might be the updated iTouch?
  • Reply 10 of 51
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member
    Introducing: "The new 5-inch MacBook Pro" -- so small that you can run a digital video production studio out of your pocket. Starting at $3,299 and comes with a complimentary screen cleaning cloth.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Hmmmm. Apple TV gaming device. This would destroy the Nintendo Wii U.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Hmmmm. Apple TV gaming device. This would destroy the Nintendo Wii U.

this is the TV's remote.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    alexmitalexmit Posts: 112member
    Please tell me they aren't going to try to use this format on the iPhone. I don't want one of those huge bricks of shit like samsung sells pasted to the side of my face when I try to make phone calls.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    Wait... so Apple now "has" a 3.5" iPod Touch and iPhone 4S, a 4.6" iPhone 6, a 5" mystery product, a 7.85" iPad, and a 9.7" iPad? Please don't soil your reputation by repeating this junk.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    The Retina iPost-it?
  • Reply 16 of 51
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    I was also thinking AppleTV remote... not a phone, not a tablet anyway
  • Reply 17 of 51
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Apple sunglasses.

Or drink coasters.

That's my call.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Who cares................only rumors..................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 19 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

Who cares................only rumors..................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You did. That's why you're here. And posted!
  • Reply 20 of 51
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member
    I've no doubt that Apple are/have been working on touch screen devices of many sizes and resolutions. Bringing a 5" device to market next year on the other hand, is pure speculation.

The best case I've read for a size between 3.5" and 9.7" is the 163 story, linked to by Gruber on Daring Fireball. iPad Mini [or whatever] around 8" would scare Amazon & other Android tablet producers to bits if it came in at the right price