Very slow email connection on one mailserver only

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I will try and keep it short but it is complex (to me!):

I have suddenly, since Friday 2 March, experienced very slow connection to one of my ISP's mailservers. Emails without attachments work ok'ish (a little "hesitantly"), emails with attachments of moderate sizes (eg. +/- 500 KB) download/upload extremely slowly and most of the time fail. I have asked my ISP, who are generally helpful, and they have tested the mailserver and can find nothing wrong. So, here we go:
  • The problem is both for ethernet and wireless.

• The problem is for one account only. I have a different account with the same ISP, but on a different mailserver, which works absolutely fine.

• Two different Macs have the same problem. The other PCs with different ISP's accounts work fine.

• Router is working fine with good internet connection and email via one of the two accounts works fine.

• It is not a problem on my computer (since it is the same issue for two machines). Both run OSX 10.6.8

• I have tried both Entourage and Outlook on both machines; same problem everywhere - one account works, the other doesn't (properly).

• I have tried with my iPhone, using the same wireless connection and same account details, and it downloads emails with attachments speedily - emails that failed to download on the MBP/Outlook.

• I have tried one of the machines (a MacBook Pro) at home with a different wireless connection but to the same mailserver and it works fine there!

• This happened last Friday and no settings have been changed locally for months.

My conclusion is (but may be wrong):

The router is fine

The macs are fine

The email clients are fine

General connection to internet and mail is fine

The mailserver is probably fine

But a connection between one mailserver account and the two macs has suddenly gone wrong.

It is almost as if there is a setting on either the mailserver saying "I don't like that connection to that place, I will slow it down." or somewhere in this place saying "I don't like that account on that mailserver, I will slow it down."

The question then is:

Which network setting is so specific that it can be this selective? And why did it suddenly happen?

I don't seem to get anywhere, so I'm trying the communities. Any help much appreciated!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Update: After two weeks of scratching my head trying to find any local settings (computer or router) that were specific enough and after really not doing anything at all, normal service resumed suddenly. I have now had a good short week without any disruption or speed issues. The problem that was is still a mystery, though.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Tights are enduring items of fashion that reflect the tastes of a woman. Tights accentuate and highlight every curve, moulding and body contours of the women's legs. These are frequently worn to set the outfit apart from others. It adds to the overall charisma of personality and fashion for the women. Women appreciate and take advantage of the ebb and flow of fashions. Tights are items that are heavily in - they are hosiery items that are thigh high or hip or waist high. They are highly popular with the women of today. Among thigh high tights, the name of Burlesque tights is very well known to every fashion conscious woman.

From this range, you can choose the fishnet tights, fishnet hold-ups, midinet hold ups, midinet tights and over knee ringer. Made from 80% polyamide and 20% elastane, they are available in two sizes A/B and B/C. The range can be a sure hit and ultimate statement for glamour and style. You can easily step into the spotlight, feel distinctive and strut around proudly with the exclusive vibrant black and white tights. One must know what would suit them and what would be suitable for the occasion and the event. They are surely beautiful and comfortable to wear in all seasons. Jonathan Aston Tights are an ideal choice not only for the winters, but whenever anyone chooses to go for lighter fabrics.

Made from 83% polyamide, these sheer fishnet tights with gold back seam are a delight to wear. There are midinet tights, over-the-knee ringers that are attention grabbers. General misconception for most of us has been that tights, hold-ups as well as pantyhose are for school girls. Young women can easily carry off such attire with skirts, short dresses or tunics. However, appropriate tights and thigh highs can indeed be worn with perfect ease by women of all ages to define their own fashion style. Different textures, fabrics and colours are important in this regard. It is also important to realise the particular style that suits a personality and defines them.

Jonathan Aston tights offer a range of all-purpose hold-ups and fishnet or the lighter fabrics with designs and patterns and colours. Starting from striped to general roses, micro net and others, there are tights available in a whole new range and styles. There are lycra and nylon heel tights as well. Alongside, there are prints like Brits Union Jack or skulls. Provided with a flexi waistband, cotton gusset and sandal toe are the extensive range of tights in exclusive colours. Indeed one can experiment a lot with either Spiderweb thigh highs or heart tights. There are tights available with zips as well. Jonathan Aston Burlesque Tights will work in all seasons. This is because of the quality and the materials that are used for utmost comfort. One can acquire them at reasonable prices from dealers.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Tights are enduring items of fashion that reflect the tastes of a woman. Tights accentuate and highlight every curve, moulding and body contours of the women's legs. These are frequently worn to set the outfit apart from others. It adds to the overall charisma of personality and fashion for the women. Women appreciate and take advantage of the ebb and flow of fashions. Tights are items that are heavily in - they are hosiery items that are thigh high or hip or waist high. They are highly popular with the women of today. Among thigh high tights, the name of Burlesque tights is very well known to every fashion conscious woman.

From this range, you can choose the fishnet tights, fishnet hold-ups, midinet hold ups, midinet tights and over knee ringer. Made from 80% polyamide and 20% elastane, they are available in two sizes A/B and B/C. The range can be a sure hit and ultimate statement for glamour and style. You can easily step into the spotlight, feel distinctive and strut around proudly with the exclusive vibrant black and white tights. One must know what would suit them and what would be suitable for the occasion and the event. They are surely beautiful and comfortable to wear in all seasons. Jonathan Aston Tights are an ideal choice not only for the winters, but whenever anyone chooses to go for lighter fabrics.

Made from 83% polyamide, these sheer fishnet tights with gold back seam are a delight to wear. There are midinet tights, over-the-knee ringers that are attention grabbers. General misconception for most of us has been that tights, hold-ups as well as pantyhose are for school girls. Young women can easily carry off such attire with skirts, short dresses or tunics. However, appropriate fashion tights and thigh highs can indeed be worn with perfect ease by women of all ages to define their own fashion style. Different textures, fabrics and colours are important in this regard. It is also important to realise the particular style that suits a personality and defines them.

Jonathan Aston tights offer a range of all-purpose hold-ups and fishnet or the lighter fabrics with designs and patterns and colours. Starting from striped to general roses, micro net and others, there are tights available in a whole new range and styles. There are lycra and nylon heel tights as well. Alongside, there are prints like Brits Union Jack or skulls. Provided with a flexi waistband, cotton gusset and sandal toe are the extensive range of tights in exclusive colours. Indeed one can experiment a lot with either Spiderweb thigh highs or heart tights. There are tights available with zips as well. Jonathan Aston Burlesque Tights will work in all seasons. This is because of the quality and the materials that are used for utmost comfort. One can acquire them at reasonable prices from dealers.