Rumor: Apple working on 5-inch Retina display device for 2013

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Man, the new iPad hasn't even been out for two weeks and we've already entered Apple rumor silly season.
  • Reply 22 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is working on a new device with a 5-inch high-resolution Retina display set to launch in 2013, according to a new report. ...

Just to be picky (and because these kinds of mistakes really contribute to the misunderstanding of the term) ...

There is no way to tell if this is a "Retina" device until the device is actually made.
  • Reply 23 of 51
    Jobs said they had already worked with different screen sizes and arrived at the current ipad size as optimal. still, i would buy a 5" ipad like device or even better a 5" iphone.
  • Reply 24 of 51
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    Does anybody know of an apple website that filters out all the crap and only reports stuff worth reading? It's not that I'm opposed to rumors, it's just that I don't want to read pointless crap that's obviously crap.

I could also do with a break from stories about every time some lawyer farts in a patent case, so if anybody knows of an apple site that filters out that garbage, please let me know that, too.

Edit:

It occurs to me that some wisea$$ will say "but you don't have to read this story" and so let me amend my earlier statement to say:

"Does anybody know of an apple website that filters out all the crap and only reports stuff worth reading? It's not that I'm opposed to rumors, it's just that I don't want to wade through piles of pointless crap that's obviously crap in my search for stuff that's worth reading. In other words, I want a site that exercises sound editorial judgement. "
  • Reply 25 of 51
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member
    I am still waiting on my tabletop computer -- enough with small devices, I want LARGE PANEL touch devices. This, my friends, would be breakthrough!! Like something out of future-sci-fi movies.
  • Reply 26 of 51
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post

this is the TV's remote.

For those that won't necessarily want to always use their iPhone or iPad via the control app.

That's a good size for something to park on the couch: just big enough to be less easy to lose in the cushions.
  • Reply 27 of 51
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tommy Wasabi View Post

...That this might be the updated iTouch?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Hmmmm. Apple TV gaming device. This would destroy the Nintendo Wii U.

All one has to do is stop in any store that has a bunch of 5" GPS systems laying around to see how useful such a Touch might be. Given that Apple can take care of the ugliness of most of those GPS units you would have a higly versatile big brother for the Touch.

Such a device could do double and triple deputy as a gaming device, navigation system and PDA ala the current Touch. Add in TV and FM tuners too. You would have a multifunction device that is not an iPhone and can stand on its own in the market.

It is rather surprising but many a Touch is being purchased by people not wanting the contract of an iPhone but yet want the PDA and other capabilities of the machine. I actually thought this was a short term trend but yet I still see people going this route because of economics. Address the small screen and I could see even more sales of this type. The more functionality in the device the better though, I'm still bummed out that Apple can't wrap it's head around supporting FM. Especially when so little hardware is required.
  • Reply 28 of 51
    Cool, I hope i get a stylus too!!

Oh, wait, no I don't.
  • Reply 29 of 51
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    IOS has been extremely successful for Apple, it would be foolish of them not to be investigating many different concepts for new devices. Is this one garbage? I don't know, but from a users standpoint I can see such a device being optimal for many.

Think about it from any angle you might want. A Touch replacement, a navigation device, a high performance camera, a game machine or whatever. Apple can be successful with a device targeted at any of these uses.

Consider that Steve Jobs was on record himself saying he would like to remake photography. Now iPhone is certainly very capable in that respect, but what would be the result of a Touch like device with an optimized high performance camera.

In any event the problem with rumors is that publishing them is always a gamble no matter what. It is only bad judgement if such a device never appears. To imply that it is impossible for Apple to consider such a device is foolish I'm my opinion. I would not be the least bit surprised to find Apple considering all sorts of new iOS devices, they could have 20 or more concepts being worked on right now. Maybe one of those reaches the market place. So is it really a lack of editorial judgement to report on the possibility that a device might be beyond the concept stage? I'd rather think the opposite iOS is a huge cash cow, they will try to exploit that with more well reasoned products.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

Does anybody know of an apple website that filters out all the crap and only reports stuff worth reading? It's not that I'm opposed to rumors, it's just that I don't want to read pointless crap that's obviously crap.

I could also do with a break from stories about every time some lawyer farts in a patent case, so if anybody knows of an apple site that filters out that garbage, please let me know that, too.

Edit:

It occurs to me that some wisea$$ will say "but you don't have to read this story" and so let me amend my earlier statement to say:

"Does anybody know of an apple website that filters out all the crap and only reports stuff worth reading? It's not that I'm opposed to rumors, it's just that I don't want to wade through piles of pointless crap that's obviously crap in my search for stuff that's worth reading. In other words, I want a site that exercises sound editorial judgement. "

• Reply 30 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

All one has to do is stop in any store that has a bunch of 5" GPS systems laying around to see how useful such a Touch might be. Given that Apple can take care of the ugliness of most of those GPS units you would have a higly versatile big brother for the Touch.

Such a device could do double and triple deputy as a gaming device, navigation system and PDA ala the current Touch. Add in TV and FM tuners too. You would have a multifunction device that is not an iPhone and can stand on its own in the market.

It is rather surprising but many a Touch is being purchased by people not wanting the contract of an iPhone but yet want the PDA and other capabilities of the machine. I actually thought this was a short term trend but yet I still see people going this route because of economics. Address the small screen and I could see even more sales of this type. The more functionality in the device the better though, I'm still bummed out that Apple can't wrap it's head around supporting FM. Especially when so little hardware is required.

I'm one of those people. I have a Sony Ericsson phone and a Touch. I'd have gone for the iPhone instead if it wasn't for the insane extra cash I'd have to put out every month to maintain it. I pay less than $30 a month and can still make use of a lot of IOS software. Recently I bought an iPad so the Touch is great for when I'm on the go and the iPad terrific when I'm not.

If Apple would come out with a Touch in September that has a larger screen, my needs would be met perfectly. The touch feels like it's even smaller now that I'm using the iPad. Apple could easily give the Touch a bigger screen and a better camera while maintaining the current price. It makes sense and the question I would have is why not.
  • Reply 31 of 51
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    iPad maxi pad for those days when absorbency is the key.
  • Reply 32 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Ok, so 5" iPhone is due 2013? See you then Apple.

There's something which isn't going to happen.
  • Reply 33 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WardC View Post

I am still waiting on my tabletop computer -- enough with small devices, I want LARGE PANEL touch devices. This, my friends, would be breakthrough!! Like something out of future-sci-fi movies.

See the movie TRON, the original. Microsoft still hasn't brought their "Surface" table top computers out yet, though they do regularly get product placement with a Surface computer on the TV show "Leverage", which plays on the TNT network.
  • Reply 34 of 51
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Is this like the con game where you go to 100 different people and you tell 50 that a stock is going to go up and 50 that a stock is going down. You keep splitting the group until you get to 3 people that you have never been wrong in your predictions, then they give you all their money to invest. Keep throwing enough Apple rumors and soon some people will have only seen the times you were right.
  • Reply 35 of 51
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tommy Wasabi View Post

...That this might be the updated iTouch?

Apple is reviving Logitech's discontinued keyboard line?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post

this is the TV's remote.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

I was also thinking AppleTV remote? not a phone, not a tablet anyway

But what in the world is the point?
  • Reply 36 of 51
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

I hope they call it the iNote and it includes a stylus.

Might not be a bad idea given that Samsung just announced they've sold 3 million Galaxy Note devices in the past 4 weeks alone. And yes they do mean sold to customers not inventory held by resellers. Buy hey nobody wants a 5" device - I know coz some dude on AI said so and they're never wrong are they.
  • Reply 37 of 51
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

Edit:

Try http://www.apple.com/hotnews but beware it very dull. Personally I like the rumours and conjecture, it kinda livens up the day. Alternatively try The Wall Street Journal.
  • Reply 38 of 51
    I'm in agreement with the TV remote people.
  • Reply 39 of 51
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

Jobs said they had already worked with different screen sizes and arrived at the current ipad size as optimal. still, i would buy a 5" ipad like device or even better a 5" iphone.

Don't confuse optimal with feasible. IOW, the choose one size to come to market but that doesn't mean there are only other sizes that they think could make viable products.
  • Reply 40 of 51
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bclapper View Post

I've no doubt that Apple are/have been working on touch screen devices of many sizes and resolutions. Bringing a 5" device to market next year on the other hand, is pure speculation.

The best case I've read for a size between 3.5" and 9.7" is the 163 story, linked to by Gruber on Daring Fireball. iPad Mini [or whatever] around 8" would scare Amazon & other Android tablet producers to bits if it came in at the right price

Amazon and other Androil tablet producers wouldn't be scared. They would run for their money if 8-inch iPad is possible and priced at $299. I think Apple can make this device and successfully out compete the competitors in that category. Imagine the current iPad 2 is shrunk to 8" screen. Would anyone buy other 7" tablets if 8" iPad 2 is available now at $299? I doubt it.