Apple rumored to mass produce new 15" MacBook Pro in April, 13" in June

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76
    gyorpbgyorpb Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

"Air" will go away, in favor of just "MacBook" and "MacBook Pro".

No. MacBook Air has, in a short time, become an incredibly powerful brand.

.tsooJ
  • Reply 22 of 76
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gyorpb View Post

.tsooJ

Like Diet Coke
  • Reply 23 of 76
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

"Air" will go away, in favor of just "MacBook" and "MacBook Pro".

Absolutely. The 'Air' moniker was meant to introduce features that were too expensive for the mass market.

When those features are ready for the masses (which happens this year) the Air will disappear.
  • Reply 24 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

[i]

Where's Ireland?

I thought iMacs were already Retina display?

Get with the program, man.
  • Reply 25 of 76
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Absolutely. The 'Air' moniker was meant to introduce features that were too expensive for the mass market.

When those features are ready for the masses (which happens this year) the Air will disappear.

That's not at all what 'Air' means. It was introduced as the thinnest and lightest full-featured computer on the market. There's no reason they can't continue that - even as other products get lighter and thinner.
  • Reply 26 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's not at all what 'Air' means. It was introduced as the thinnest and lightest full-featured computer on the market. There's no reason they can't continue that - even as other products get lighter and thinner.

True, but the reason the Airs got thin are the same reasons the Pros are about to.

Is there any prospect of making the Airs thinner than they already are? If not, what's the point of keeping two notebook lines serving the same market?
  • Reply 27 of 76
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Get with the program, man.

Snarky alert.
  • Reply 28 of 76
    Put ethernet and thunderbolt on the powerbrick. Hook your CinemaDisplay via thunderbolt to the powerbrick. Have one thunderbolt cable from the powerbrick to a magsafe connector on the MacBook for power, ethernet and display to monitors. One cable to the MacBook for everything would be awesome. Ditch the Air & Pro monikers and just call it the MacBook.
  • Reply 29 of 76
    Quote:

True, but the reason the Airs got thin are the same reasons the Pros are about to.

Is there any prospect of making the Airs thinner than they already are? If not, what's the point of keeping two notebook lines serving the same market?

What makes you think that the Pro will become as thin as the MBA?

The MBA has a lower power CPU which requires less battery and less cooling. It does not have a traditional hard drive, nor an optical drive. It does not have a discrete CPU.

What makes you think Apple is going to drop all of those things from the MBP line?
  • Reply 30 of 76
    Quote:

Snarky alert.

Hey, you have the temerity to accuse me of snark after posting this?:

Quote:

Where's Ireland?

I thought iMacs were already Retina display?

Can dish it out, but can't take it?
  • Reply 31 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What makes you think that the Pro will become as thin as the MBA?

The MBA has a lower power CPU which requires less battery and less cooling. It does not have a traditional hard drive, nor an optical drive. It does not have a discrete CPU.

What makes you think Apple is going to drop all of those things from the MBP line?

It is entirely possible that the Pros will be slightly bulkier than the Airs, due to the continued inclusion of some of the features you mentioned (though I think the hard drive and CD drive are goners.) But then the Air simply becomes a less capable version of the Pro, albeit slightly thinner.

Wouldn't it make sense to distinguish them by the MacBook and MacBook Pro monikers?
  • Reply 32 of 76
    gyorpbgyorpb Posts: 93member
    Quote:

It is entirely possible that the Pros will be slightly bulkier than the Airs, due to the continued inclusion of some of the features you mentioned (though I think the hard drive and CD drive are goners.)

2.5" HD bays in 15" and 17" models for additional storage options would not be a bad idea.
    Quote:

But then the Air simply becomes a less capable version of the Pro, albeit slightly thinner.

Wouldn't it make sense to distinguish them by the MacBook and MacBook Pro monikers?

MacBook = cheap, plastic laptop.

MacBook Air = sleek, suave, light-weight professional laptop.

.tsooJ
  • Reply 33 of 76
    brianusbrianus Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gyorpb View Post

.tsooJ

DIdn't stop them from killing "PowerBook" and "iBook". Maybe they drop "MacBook" altogether and make everything an iDevice. iMac Air, iMac, iMac mini...
  • Reply 34 of 76
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    Tallest Skil - I agree, although I can't resist rumors and that if they report on something. I'm always interested.
  • Reply 35 of 76
    Hope they don't drop the DVD player.
  • Reply 36 of 76
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    They are going to drop it sooner or later. If they choose not to drop it this time around, they will most certainly drop it in 2013. Many people didn't want them to kill the white unibody MacBook and they did anyway.

Apple's philosophy generally is that they know what the public wants better than they know themselves. They have their finger on the pulse and thus far have been highly successful.
  • Reply 37 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

High storage SSD is NOT an option currently. More likely would be a 128GB SSD and a large internal HDD for mass storage.

More likely is a 128 Gig SSD and no HDD. iCloud, baby!
  • Reply 38 of 76
    The Superdrive is gone. Very few people need one while on the road, and it's not like there aren't slimline options for the business travel market.

I do wish however, that they'd stop calling it the 'MacBook Air Superdrive', since it's also serving Mac Mini users and [presumably] soon the MacBook Pro markets.
  • Reply 39 of 76
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

More likely is a 128 Gig SSD and no HDD. iCloud, baby!

I said more likely than high capacity SSD for the whole line and it is way more likely than 1TB SSD I don't think the Pro line can go to 128GB SSD and that's it.
  • Reply 40 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

I said more likely than high capacity SSD for the whole line and it is way more likely than 1TB SSD I don't think the Pro line can go to 128GB SSD and that's it.

Not a chance. They would absolutely not limit it to 128 GB. You can pretty safely ignore everything that "I'm a zzz" says.

I think the most likely scenario is that they will continue what they're doing now - platter drive as standard with various sizes of SSD and hard drives optional. I would prefer a small (64 GB) SSD and larger hard disk, but don't really expect to see that.