RIM announces Q4 revenues miss, top executives leaving company

Comments

• Reply 21 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Jim Balsillie could be an Italian cruise ship captain the way he's abandoning that sinking ship.

I know yo were trying to make a joke, but I find this both in bad taste and extremely unfair.

There's a big difference between an executive leaving a company for very good reasons, (and at the request of the shareholders), and a filthy coward who broke the law and caused the deaths of a lot of people because he was too scared to help and had too big of an ego.
  • Reply 22 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

I predict a much more rapid decline for RIM now that things are playing out the way they are.

Yeah, I wouldn't bet against you.

Quote:

I wonder what this means for the launch of their new phones this year? Any bets they'll miss the target on them? Especially given both the head of software and operations are gone? Their stock is going to get absolutely hammered.

Strangely enough RIM recently brought out a load of new phone... all running the old OS that they want to dump later this year.

Currently RIM is having serious trouble getting the new OS to work with the old network.

My questions is whether RIM will last long enough to ever release the new phones made for the new OS and running on their old servers.
  • Reply 23 of 94
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    Holy moly, 15.4 iPads per quarter... that's record breaking stuff right there. It's also the total lack pf proof reading your articles! Hire me as an editor already! sheesh
  • Reply 24 of 94
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I hear there is a band playing in RIM's foyer while the women and children make their way to the lifeboats...
  • Reply 25 of 94
    jvh007jvh007 Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

The fact that they refuse to discontinue the unpopular and money-losing Playbook tablet tells me they are not serious about turning things around. New management appears to be staying the course - toward the cemetery.

I remember how arrogant they were about Playbook and how dismissive they were about the iPad. Very similar to Steve Ballmer and the iPhone. Both HUGE warning signs and mistakes.

Its interesting how RIM dominated then fell off. This gets repeated so often...The Sony Walkman etc. I hope the same thing does not happen to Apple, one bad sign is that they waited to long to get into the TV market.
  • Reply 26 of 94
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I know yo were trying to make a joke, but I find this both in bad taste and extremely unfair.

There's a big difference between an executive leaving a company for very good reasons, (and at the request of the shareholders), and a filthy coward who broke the law and caused the deaths of a lot of people because he was too scared to help and had too big of an ego.

Sure, the humour lies in the hyperbole. That said my apologies if I've offended you.
  • Reply 27 of 94
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

The only possible chance RIM has of creating a company worth owning would be to tightly integrate with Windows 8 OS. There is no way RIM can create its own platform. If RIM jumped on board with MS, they could use their hardware brand to be a top MS OS seller. This would work out nicely for BB business customers who want compatibility with MS software, especially Word. Blackberry is in as good or better position than any MS hardware manufacturer to attract customers who want a seamless experience from phone to tablet. It is a match made in heaven. BB is a hardware manufacturer with a customer base and MS has the software and platform they need.

Am I missing something?

It's just hard for me to imagine anyone using MS Office products on a tiny gimped BB screen. Email sure, Word documents, not so much

If anything, I can see BB software on MS/Android/Apple devices-IF BB could actually execute
  • Reply 28 of 94
    Quote:

I'm not offended (why would I be?), but I concur that the comparison is a stretch for the reason you stated. I would have argued that RIM's management should have changed when their fortunes began to reverse in 2008 (2010 at latest), but they kept on course, copying the touch screen and App store concepts from the iPhone, hoping to save the BBM. They should have been fired no later than the failure of the half-finished PlayBook. That they got to (ahem) retire on their own terms, leaving their hand picked successor at the helm to keep steering RIM into that iceberg ahead is an astonishing feat of the lack of corporate governance.
  • Reply 29 of 94
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

/

/

INDEED!

/

/

/
  • Reply 30 of 94
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member
    Quote:

Seriously? You are wound up way too tight. There is nothing wrong with the comment.
  • Reply 31 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I hear there is a band playing in RIM's foyer while the women and children make their way to the lifeboats...

The last death rattle for SGI was when they started selling Windows NT-based graphics workstations, reversing their long standing business of making and selling expensive graphics hardware running their own version of Unix. Maybe somewhere in the bowels of RIM is a secret Hail Mary plan to ditch their own OSes and switch to Windows Phone 7 and/or Windows 8, should their BBM platform go the way of Nokia's Symbian.
  • Reply 32 of 94
    Maybe good old Gil can point RIM in the right direction...
  • Reply 33 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

It's just hard for me to imagine anyone using MS Office products on a tiny gimped BB screen. Email sure, Word documents, not so much

If anything, I can see BB software on MS/Android/Apple devices-IF BB could actually execute

Obviously BB would need to adopt the prevailing format of large touch screens.

It has been so long since I've seen anyone buy a new blackberry I wasn't aware that BB hadn't moved on from the 90s. I guess that explains the decline in sales....
  • Reply 34 of 94
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

/

/

INDEED!

/

/

/

Their new slogan is...

RiM: We're circling it!
  • Reply 35 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

um? how would you have BB software on a MS or Android device? MS and Android make software, not hardware (at least not an appreciable amount of hardware).

The thought of anyone putting BB software on an iPhone is down right laughable.
  • Reply 36 of 94
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Their new slogan is...

RiM: We're circling it!

Now that slogan is gonna leave a bad taste in RIM's employees mouths!

/

/

/
  • Reply 37 of 94
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    DCW.

And they did it all to themselves. Not just with Apple's help.

It was their RESPONSE to Apple that signalled the end-times for RIM, namely: utter hubris.

Microstupid should also be paying close attention to this. The way things are going with their ill-conceived Nokia partnership, they're primed for an exit as well, from mobile.
  • Reply 38 of 94
    I was going to say sadly, but reading the other post on how unfair is Apple nano sim debacle just shows how unfocused RIM is.

RIM may yet inspire mass sellof of their stocks based on the level of stupidity they seem to excel at. Each day, just when you think it can't get worse, they seem to manage to outdo themselves.

I think I'll buy a RIM stock so I can sell it off and flip them the one finger salute.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The last death rattle for SGI was when they started selling Windows NT-based graphics workstations, reversing their long standing business of making and selling expensive graphics hardware running their own version of Unix. Maybe somewhere in the bowels of RIM is a secret Hail Mary plan to ditch their own OSes and switch to Windows Phone 7 and/or Windows 8, should their BBM platform go the way of Nokia's Symbian.

• Reply 39 of 94
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

The fact that they refuse to discontinue the unpopular and money-losing Playbook tablet tells me they are not serious about turning things around. New management appears to be staying the course - toward the cemetery.

The fact that Asus shipped 80,000 Transformer Prime and RIM shipped more than 6x that number --- tells you that RIM isn't doing that bad.
  • Reply 40 of 94
    I find a little sad. RIM was a good company with a good product for many years. They just didn't see the train and didn't get of the tract they were on.