Apple faces second class-action lawsuit over Siri

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    How can you face a lawsuit over inventing a cool new thing? The court system is supposed to provide redress for hurting people or defrauding them, not inventing cool new things.
  • Reply 22 of 80
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Your honor, it's a beta."

*BANG* "Case dismissed. Pay Apple's court costs, you idiots."

And so it was, the first class action lawsuit in history where everyone involved received a BILL for $3.45.

So what is the general opinion, is Siri going out of beta by the next iPhone (or maybe iPad)? It is a non-trivial piece of software; it may take years before it's considered production quality.
  • Reply 23 of 80
    Please, Please, PLEASE! make me the trial judge that hears this case!
  • Reply 24 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The guy is just bitter because Siri wouldn't call him 'rock god' from now on.

LOL, he's probably the star of this ad!
  • Reply 25 of 80
    I hate it when products don't live up to the expectations set by the commercials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ziwz...e_gdata_player
  • Reply 26 of 80
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

LOL, he's probably the star of this ad!

Looks like the got the beta bugs worked out.
  • Reply 27 of 80
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

How can you face a lawsuit over inventing a cool new thing? The court system is supposed to provide redress for hurting people or defrauding them, not inventing cool new things.

This is how I see it. Siri is a ground-breaking new feature. A lot of users like it and find it valuable. Perhaps for others it a bit less than magical, but as frequently mentioned it's beta, still under development. What's highly unusual IMO for a high-profile and industry leading company is making a beta feature the primary focus of the initial media blitz. Several ads a day on numerous TV channels supposedly showing how well it understands and how fast it responds. I've no doubt that a whole lot of buyers new to the iPhone bought into it just for that feature, as Apple expected they would. They won't be getting the same results tho, and yeah I know there's a tiny (very tiny) disclaimer in the closing shot. Agencies are paid well to place notices allowing them to avoid lawsuits so that they are there, but not there. I didn't even see it the first dozen or so times I saw the Rockstar ad.

The iPhone is a great device of course, and Siri shouldn't be the sole reason for buying or keeping one. It was Apple that made Siri the defining feature themselves by making it the only subject of the first wave of ads, repeated several times a day on every major network. Apple was sending the message over and over that Siri was the reason to buy the new iPhone, with no other feature being put front and center. They could be perceived as being a bit misleading by some early purchasers IMHO. By strangely choosing to focus on a beta feature as the defining reason to buy an iPhone 4S they were begging for some disappointments and complaints, which have predictably turned into lawsuits.

Apple should be commended for their creativity in adding features. Their creativity in advertising is going to come under closer scrutiny now more than in the past since they've become the biggest and richest bad boy on the block.
  • Reply 28 of 80
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    is there a way to track this? Just once I would love to know the actual outcome of one of these cases, you never hear about them being dismissed or awarded.

Betting that Apple has this in the budget for each new feature.
  • Reply 29 of 80
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

This is how I see it. Siri is a ground-breaking new feature. A lot of users like it and find it valuable. Perhaps for others it a bit less than magical, but as frequently mentioned it's beta, still under development. What's highly unusual IMO for a high-profile and industry leading company is making a beta feature the primary focus of the initial media blitz. Several ads a day on numerous TV channels supposedly showing how well it understands and how fast it responds. I've no doubt that a whole lot of buyers new to the iPhone bought into it just for that feature, as Apple expected they would. They won't be getting the same results tho, and yeah I know there's a tiny (very tiny) disclaimer in the closing shot. Agencies are paid well to place notices allowing them to avoid lawsuits so that they are there, but not there. I didn't even see it the first dozen or so times I saw the Rockstar ad.

The iPhone is a great device of course, and Siri shouldn't be the sole reason for buying or keeping one. It was Apple that made Siri the defining feature themselves by making it the only subject of the first wave of ads, repeated several times a day on every major network. Apple was sending the message over and over that Siri was the reason to buy the new iPhone, with no other feature being put front and center. They could be perceived as being a bit misleading by some early purchasers IMHO. By strangely choosing to focus on a beta feature as the defining reason to buy an iPhone 4S they were begging for some disappointments and complaints, which have predictably turned into lawsuits.

Apple should be commended for their creativity in adding features. Their creativity in advertising is going to come under closer scrutiny now more than in the past since they've become the biggest and richest bad boy on the block.

100% agreed. It's in the end a good thing
  • Reply 30 of 80
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

And so it was, the first class action lawsuit in history where everyone involved received a BILL for $3.45.

I don't think the fact that it's a beta is much of a defense. Apple uses Siri in its advertising and I don't believe its TV ads mention that it's a beta. Further, there's an implied warranty of merchantability (that is, a product you sell is supposed to work).

For people who are able to think rationally: The product works for most people and if you don't like it, there's a return policy where you can return it without penalty for some time period. It really is almost magical for the device to be able to do what it does when you consider how much people's voices vary from one another. Will there be a few people whose language is so distorted that it can't understand them? Sure. So they return the phone - or take speaking languages.

For the trolls, "you're not saying it right".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

This song has been, and seemingly always will be, appropriate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKIca...e_gdata_player

Actually, this is probably more appropriate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIX0ZDqDljA
  • Reply 31 of 80
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

When I told my wife about this lawsuit, she grabbed my iPhone and pretended to ask, "Siri. When will my husband ever take out the garbage without me having to remind him?"

Then in a Siri-like voice mockingly said, "I am sorry, I can't answer that. I am only a beta. It's an alpha."

…and tossed back my iPhone with those ever telling-eyes, walking out the room said, "It's the species. You're all Idiots."
  • Reply 32 of 80
    ericblrericblr Posts: 172member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdfetof View Post

Why do so many Americans think they have a right to be paid a profit just because something doesn't live up to their personal expectations? Talk about gaming the system!

If the Siri ads are "misleading", every single soap, cosemtics, food and appliance ad in the entire world is misleading.

They obviously aren't aware of the legal concept of "advertiser's puff"....

It's a growing entitlement mentality. I agree it's getting ridiculous.
  • Reply 33 of 80
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    Siri is a beta anyway. If you don't like the way it works just return the phone...before you used it for 4 months.

And why does it seem Apple gets sued so often for their ads? Has anyone ever sued the beer companies? I've never seen anyone open a beer and then have an ice train with bikini girls come flying in but that's what their commercials depict.
  • Reply 34 of 80
    You Apple apologists are strange.

I have quite a few Apple products (the first Intel iMac, a 27" iMac, have all iPhones (except 4s), the new iPad) so don't confuse me for some Android fanboy on Google's payroll whose part time job is to seed anti-Apple sentiment.

That said, I don't get Apple's advertising strategy lately. I always found Apple's main attraction to be their very high quality and design. What's with this ridiculous advertising nowadays where Siri is advertised as some Star-trek like computer assistant (*but it's only beta so please don't expect anything about toy level) and the iPad is ultra fast 4G LTE (*but you have to travel to the USA for LTE).

I think that's just beneath THE leading consumer tech company of the world.
  • Reply 35 of 80
    8002580025 Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new class-action lawsuit has been filed against Apple over its Siri voice recognition feature of the iPhone 4S with allegations that the company is falsely representing the service's capabilities.

Good heavens, if you don't like the product, return it. Did you suffer damages? Probably not. Were the ads deceptive? Apparently not for the majority of other Siri users. Has Apple got a bundle of cash? You bet! And you want some...

Here's the thing, voice recognition is constantly evolving. And certain accents, regional dialects and/or speach patterns don't work as well as others. Try calling your financial institution, government office, or a business entity that has switched from the typical "Press 1 for this, press 2 for that" to a voice recognition system. Just see how many times the voice prompt tells you "I'm sorry, I didn't get that. Please say <<<entry>>again".

Anyone sue over that? Not to my knowledge.
  • Reply 36 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by galore2112 View Post

I think that's just beneath THE leading consumer tech company of the world.

Is a quarterly revenue of $46.33 billion also "beneath THE leading consumer tech company of the world"?

I didn't think so.
  • Reply 37 of 80
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Smart phone.

Dumb Siri.
  • Reply 38 of 80
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Don't forget Apple's legal fees....
  • Reply 39 of 80
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

Siri is a beta anyway. If you don't like the way it works just return the phone...before you used it for 4 months.

And why does it seem Apple gets sued so often for their ads? Has anyone ever sued the beer companies? I've never seen anyone open a beer and then have an ice train with bikini girls come flying in but that's what their commercials depict.

Or how about the happy faces on the users of Microsoft products? I don't people with happy faces when they use Windows.

The users that would sue Apple over Siri are just delusional. Siri is in Beta.
  • Reply 40 of 80
    I use Siri. I am not not only a fabulously rich and well-laid rock star, but I have reconstituted NASA in my backyard and will found a Mars colony later this month.

Thanks, Siri!