iPhone closes in on Android in growing U.S. smartphone market

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

I guess that is just one manner in which you "Think different".

Hell, my friend, you could even take the 'Different' off the end of that quote and you would still be spot on!
  • Reply 22 of 51
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    This is a much better stat for iPhone than the Christmas win. A Christmas win was almost a given with a new iPhone and cheaper old versions. The fact that this strong growth is continuing well after the new iPhone rush really puts the pressure on Android makers.

Samsung Galaxy S3 and HTC One launch in Q2. These are the flagship phones for these companies. If these dont lead to a turn around then it will be a long, long year for Android.
  • Reply 23 of 51
    [QUOTE=Red Oak;2084202]That is amazing. Apple against the world. And Apple is not even on T-Mobile

• Reply 24 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

This can't be all the fandroids tells us that 850000 droids are activated each day!

This comes from the head fandroid himself Andy Fandroid Rubin.

did you really read the article???? that was US alone not the whole world....Keep trolling
  • Reply 25 of 51
    The fandroids will spin this every possible way to make them selves feel better, this we can be sure of.

lame ass android... so lame

and lame ass fandroids.... so so lame. I almost feel sorry for the poor fools. NOT!!!
  • Reply 26 of 51
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagicFingers View Post

The fandroids will spin this every possible way to make them selves feel better, this we can be sure of.

lame ass android... so lame

and lame ass fandroids.... so so lame. I almost feel sorry for the poor fools. NOT!!!

What's lame is this preemptive declaration.
  • Reply 27 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

What's lame is this preemptive declaration.

preempte? whatever... android is lame, and was put out there for free for the lamer. Get a clue.
  • Reply 28 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

850k is the whole world i suppose

I won't be surprised if Android is doing much better relatively in non-US countries than US. Here the US carriers are very restrictive and it's not good for an OS like Android. Plus iPhone 4S is the 1st phone with 3 of the 4 major US cairrers selling/promoting it.

Probably right as China and India dwarf any other area in terms of mobile phones in use. Like the USA, cheap is paramount in their purchase decisions and that's where Android excels.

Which is why discussions like this are like comparing Ford's growth rates to BMW's. Irrelevant.
  • Reply 29 of 51
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Google doesn't make any revenue from android other than ad revenue.

One report basically says that another os gives google more mobile ad revenue than their own product.

Why would you continue to support something that gives you such little return? You could sell the os to another company and let them develop it. The return in ad revenue would be the same.

Android is definitely heading to beleaguered... give it time.

{... and besides... you talked about "rapidly increasing sales"... again, Google does not sell Android, nor does it sell phones]

I don't think Google is going to abandon android that easily. From what I've seen, based on ICS and other announcements, it seems that Google's intent with android is to expand it beyond the phone/tablet market. And with intel throwing x86 support behind android, I think it will be interesting to see how it evolves.

Micosoft have tried this before with "windows everywhere" and we all know how that turned out, so I don't think this will work out for google either.
  • Reply 30 of 51
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

I don't think Google is going to abandon android that easily. From what I've seen, based on ICS and other announcements, it seems that Google's intent with android is to expand it beyond the phone/tablet market. And with intel throwing x86 support behind android, I think it will be interesting to see how it evolves.

Micosoft have tried this before with "windows everywhere" and we all know how that turned out, so I don't think this will work out for google either.

An IDC report from just a couple days ago predicts Android and ARM overtaking Microsoft and x86 in device market share by 2016
  • Reply 31 of 51
    vqrovqro Posts: 66member
    Quote:

"was"

Quite a few people must have wised up.

I thought this would happen with the 6th gen phone coming out later this year. Never did I expect it to happen with the 4S.

Android is in trouble.

This, along with increased disinterest by developers who are finding it hard to monetize on the huge Android marketshare, spells a bit of trouble for the Android platform. I wouldn't say that Android is going away as some people are suggesting but it's going to slowly lose marketshare in the next few months.
  • Reply 32 of 51
    vqrovqro Posts: 66member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

This can't be all the fandroids tells us that 850000 droids are activated each day!

This comes from the head fandroid himself Andy Fandroid Rubin.

That guy Rubin is so full of $hit... but the Android fanboys eat it up like it's gospel. Talk about a cult... Android has become a religion... one with the most fervent, zealous adherents.
  • Reply 33 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vqro View Post

That guy Rubin is so full of $hit... but the Android fanboys eat it up like it's gospel. Talk about a cult... Android has become a religion... one with the most fervent, zealous adherents.

Is that a "gut feeling" or did you come across some citation that shows his claim of 850K new Android activations on average each day (current rate) isn't true?
  • Reply 34 of 51
    Quote:

"was"

Quite a few people must have wised up.

I thought this would happen with the 6th gen phone coming out later this year. Never did I expect it to happen with the 4S.

Android is in trouble.

Lest we all lose the forest for the trees, MobiThinking (who has every mobile stat you'd ever wish to know and several you might even rather not see) has a reality check:

"The media tends to overegg the importance of smartphones and Apple in particular. Before media hype lulls you into focusing your marketing/development budget on smartphones or the Apple platform exclusively, consider this: 61.3 percent of handsets sold in 2011 were not smartphones, they were feature phones; 94 percent of all phones sold were not Apple.

N.B. smartphone sales is not the same as market penetration. Market penetration of smartphones will be lower. There are almost 6 billion mobile subscriptions worldwide (Source: ITU), yet only 968.2 million smartphones have been sold in total in 2009, 2010 and 2011, according to IDC i.e. only 16 percent of global mobile subscriptions."

http://mobithinking.com/blog/2011-ha...es-big-picture
  • Reply 35 of 51
    afrodriafrodri Posts: 190member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

An IDC report from just a couple days ago predicts Android and ARM overtaking Microsoft and x86 in device market share by 2016

I'd be wary of IDC. They also recently announced that x86 is going to overtake ARM in the embedded space:

"According to IDC's figures, ARM had 71 per cent of the processors in embedded systems last year, but by 2016 this share will nearly halve to 38 per cent. By contrast, x86 systems, which currently have 8 per cent of the market, will grow to 41 per cent..."

While its not impossible that ARM will overtake x86 for non-embedded systems, and x86 to simultaneously overtake ARM in embedded systems, it seems unlikely.

EDIT: story link: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03...igent_systems/
  • Reply 36 of 51
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by afrodri View Post

I'd be wary of IDC. They also recently announced that x86 is going to overtake ARM in the embedded space:

"According to IDC's figures, ARM had 71 per cent of the processors in embedded systems last year, but by 2016 this share will nearly halve to 38 per cent. By contrast, x86 systems, which currently have 8 per cent of the market, will grow to 41 per cent..."

While its not impossible that ARM will overtake x86 for non-embedded systems, and x86 to simultaneously overtake ARM in embedded systems, it seems unlikely.

EDIT: story link: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03...igent_systems/

Yeah... I wouldn't put much weight on those predictions. I think anand gives a good analysis of what google wants to do with android in his ICS video
  • Reply 37 of 51
    I had an HTC Tilt 2 for internal company applications. One week my wife decides she wants a mobile phone, having gotten tired of searches for pay phones. Next week, it refuses to boot. Out an AT&T store to pick up a 3GS for only $0.99, plus fees.
  • Reply 38 of 51
    hmm888hmm888 Posts: 23member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Rapidly increasing sales because it's cheap (and nasty). I'd call that "beleaguered".

Considering the number of companies that are combined to provide Android statistics, this is an extremely poor showing when the competition is a single company.

The main reason Android is still ahead of the game, which surprises the heck out of me since I hardly see anyone with an Android but with an iPhone 4 or 4S is the carriers are selling the Android phones really cheap. Sure, when the new model is first introduced, it is sold comparably priced to the iPhone. Only the early adopters get them, but within several months the price rapidly declines to nothing with a contract. Compare this to the iPhone where users are willing to pay $159/199 (lowest in Canada) for the iPhone 8+ months after launch. What does that tell you about the iPhone?
  • Reply 39 of 51
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hmm888 View Post

The main reason Android is still ahead of the game, which surprises the heck out of me since I hardly see anyone with an Android but with an iPhone 4 or 4S is the carriers are selling the Android phones really cheap. Sure, when the new model is first introduced, it is sold comparably priced to the iPhone. Only the early adopters get them, but within several months the price rapidly declines to nothing with a contract. Compare this to the iPhone where users are willing to pay $159/199 (lowest in Canada) for the iPhone 8+ months after launch. What does that tell you about the iPhone?

The Samsung Galaxy II is only $50 less. Furthermore, the Galaxy II is outselling the cheaper HTC and Moto phones.

So the point about Android only selling because of price is a flawed one. Price matters, but not the only thing that matters. Android is a platform losing its direction but the arguments about iPhone surge here are misdirected. Case in point above.
  • Reply 40 of 51
    free amoxicillin amoxil price amoxicillin 875 mg overdose on amoxicillin antibiotics amoxicillin amoxicillin cough amoxicillin coverage amoxicillin pediatric dosage amoxicillin alternatives amoxicillin chewable amoxicillin pediatric dose amoxicillin sun exposure amoxicillin fever price for amoxicillin amoxicillin dosage dogs