Foxconn workers question why hours are being cut after FLA review

Comments

• Reply 41 of 206
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    I just love Chinese workers, they actually want to worker longer ours for me , and boy they are so cheap. What the hell is wrong with that! I make lots of money and they love it.

tongue in cheek!
  • Reply 42 of 206
    Damn Apple! Depriving these people of the overtime they need to properly provide for their families. We need to organize and get a petition started that will force Apple to end these tyrannical practices.
  • Reply 43 of 206
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

They can blame righteous Americans..

Don't you mean "blame righteous Progressive, codename for Liberal, Americans.."?

You know, the people who stir up the pot and make a bigger mess that they never clean up and then they move on (dot org) gleefully knowing their karma has been boosted for saving the day once again while ignoring those it effects.

Kind of like Lisa Simpson throwing the captive baby seal back into the sea, saying "your free!" Then a shark leaps from the deep and swallows the seal whole! Doesn't matter, to qoute Sheldon Cooper of TBBT, "What fresh new Hell is this?" so sayeth the seal.

/

/

/
  • Reply 44 of 206
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I detested the Mike Daisy furor and believe that when you remove his lies, everything else he talked about was public knowledge and on Apple's radar.

That said, I'm even more disgusted by the commentors here who are saying that its none of our business. Nonsense. Its the ability of Chinese companies to exploit their workers (among all of the other 'externalities' that they are able to entice American companies with) that have decimated American manufacturing. Its in our interest to use every bit of leverage we have to force them in every way possible to improve not only labor conditions and wages, but pollution as well.

This is the best article and news I've seen in years.

Go Apple, even if it did take a bit of a kick in the pants.

And I'm disgusted by the ignorance of posters who pretend to understand the economics of the developing world, and the psychology of the people there. How do you people think the Us and the rest of the developed world got where it is? Don't you understand that working conditions here were as bad, or worse?

You really feel that sitting on your rear at home or at work, you know what people feel there? You don't. I have friends who revel to Asia regularly for business. It's a VERY different situation there. Even in Japan.

Do you feel as though you have to completely support your parents? They do. And they don't have social security, or Medicare, or anything of the sort. When you're too old to work in the fields, you're gone. These people support their entire family with this, in China, very high paying job.

The naivety of some of you people is astounding! You actually think that we even HAVE that much influence? Foreign companies don't have that much. It's even thought that Apple's problems with Proview are partly because of their actions in this.

I'll say it again. It's up to the Chinese government to not just make laws that affect this, but to enforce them. Because they refuse to enforce them, conditions, whether they are really bad, or not, will continue. There is no government in China, people have to understand this. There is the Communist Party. That's all that matters. And the Party is committed to growth. Growth, and their continued rule. Past that, there is nothing.

They allow melamine in baby's formula. They allow heavy metal pollution. They divert major rivers. They lie about the birds flu situation. They insist on burning coal in very old and badly designed piwer plants, and even in the backyard! All of this is far worse than workers working long hours.

So, should some working conditions be fixed? Sure. But are we the ones to do it? Not really. Even if Foxconn, not a Chinese company, by the way, does some things that are needed, that's just about 0.1% of the working population of China. Nothing will have changed.
  • Reply 45 of 206
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I've heard of banning robbery, violence, fraud. But banning work? That's f'ed up.
  • Reply 46 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Don't you mean "blame righteous Progressive, codename for Liberal, Americans.."?

You know, the people who stir up the pot and make a bigger mess that they never clean up and then they move on (dot org) gleefully knowing their karma has been boosted for saving the day once again while ignoring those it effects.

Kind of like Lisa Simpson throwing the captive baby seal back into the sea, saying "your free!" Then a shark leaps from the deep and swallows the seal whole! Doesn't matter, to qoute Sheldon Cooper of TBBT, "What fresh new Hell is this?" so sayeth the seal.

/

/

/

Oh please! It's you conservatives who have screwed up our country. Stop pretending you know anything at all.
  • Reply 47 of 206
    bcodebcode Posts: 141member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Oh please! It's you conservatives who have screwed up our country. Stop pretending you know anything at all.

I think there is enough blame to go around. But I digress...
  • Reply 48 of 206
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Quote:

If this is an April Fools Day joke it's 2 days early.
  • Reply 49 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RPT View Post

Overtime is usually the least expensive time an employer pays for because it is a marginal cost, and other expenses increases little which more than compensates for the additional pay.

Not if all wages are piece-rate, to begin with. Which is, likely, what it is.
  • Reply 50 of 206
    rptrpt Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Heard about capital costs, investments, technology obsolescence etc etc ?
  • Reply 51 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

If this is an April Fools Day joke it's 2 days early.

No, it's the truth. First we got Reagan's record setting deficits that damaged the economy for years. Then Bush Jr. Comes along and almost destroys the economy with his, and a war that we never should have had. No matter what we do, it will take 20 years to work ourselves out of that one.
  • Reply 52 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It's hourly wages.
  • Reply 53 of 206
    jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 213member
    Quote:

They allow melamine in baby's formula.

Not really. The CEO of the dairy company was executed for the crime of using melamine in dairy products.
  • Reply 54 of 206
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    An additional problem created for the live-in workers: idle minds.
  • Reply 55 of 206
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Because how we as Americans feel about you is more important than how you feel about yourselves. We like to satiate our own national ego at the expense of the rest of the worlds' plight.

Why should you decide for yourselves how many hours you work and how much money you make? Only we should be able to make that decision.

My employer in Silicon Valley doesn't bat an eye when I work 16 hour days to meet my deadlines. In fact, it's condoned and applauded, a heroic effort made to fortify the team, which lets the office earn yet another Hawaiian Shirt Friday chit. I sit in a office typing on a keyboard, a repetitive, boring activity that isn't much different than what you go through at your factory. But I don't have reporters over my shoulder taking photos of me with my CEO smiling as I now work less hours and earn less pay to support myself and my 43 family members back on the farm in western China.

On the other hand, here we have what's called Wall Street, where the goal is to make as much money as possible while working as least as possible while taking a dump on your customers' backs.
  • Reply 56 of 206
    rptrpt Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jj.yuan View Post

Not really. The CEO of the dairy company was executed for the crime of using melamine in dairy products.

More likely, he was executetd for it becoming public, resulting in China loosing face.
  • Reply 57 of 206
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We have just been told that we can only work a maximum of 36 hours a month of overtime," she said. "I tell you, a lot of us are unhappy with this. We think that 60 hours of overtime a month would be reasonable and that 36 hours would be too little."

We're not even close to hearing the end of this.

Next step will be all the do-gooders complaining about the strenuous 49 hour work week and the debilitating 36 hours a month of overtime. There will be more complaints - just watch.

Meanwhile, here's the petition to ask Change.org to stop using the petition that was based on Daisey's report and then changed after signing.

http://www.change.org/petitions/chan...against-apple#
  • Reply 58 of 206
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Outsiders, who have never walked in the shoes of the Foxconn workers, are insisting that Foxconn workers be prohibited from working the hours they want to work. The consequence is that some of these workers will no longer be able to send their children to university. The FLA ... keeping the poor poor.
  • Reply 59 of 206
    gprovidagprovida Posts: 258member
    While the commitment for the long term is to be salary neutral, it is going to be very bumpy transition of 100,000s of people. People simple have no comprehension of the scale that FOXCONN operates nor the reality on the ground with the workers and their lives. So stand by for a lot of splashy news headlines.
  • Reply 60 of 206
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

That said, I'm even more disgusted by the commentors here who are saying that its none of our business. Nonsense. Its the ability of Chinese companies to exploit their workers (among all of the other 'externalities' that they are able to entice American companies with) that have decimated American manufacturing. Its in our interest to use every bit of leverage we have to force them in every way possible to improve not only labor conditions and wages, but pollution as well.

This is the best article and news I've seen in years.

Go Apple, even if it did take a bit of a kick in the pants.

So now that they have decimated American manufacturing, let's improve their working conditions to the point where their labor costs equal ours and the manufacturing can return to the US? Nice strategy. Maybe RIM should advertise their phones as made in North America to attract the disenfranchised American factory worker. That might be their only chance of survival. People should simply modify their lifestyle and only buy American/Canadian made products rather than complain about working conditions in China.