Apple rolls out iTunes 10.6.1 update

Posted:
in Mac OS X edited January 2014


Apple on Wednesday released iTunes 10.6.1, a minor update that fixes a small number of bugs found in the introduction of version 10.6 which was released earlier in March.



When iTunes 10.6 was released on March 7, it added support for 1080p to sync 192kbps and 256kbps quality audio to devices. The latest update squashes a few minor bugs associated with syncing, among others.



Changes from 10.6:



Fixes several issues that may cause iTunes to unexpectedly quit while playing videos, changing artwork size in Grid view, and syncing photos to devices.

Addresses an issue where some iTunes interface elements are incorrectly described by VoiceOver and WindowEyes.

Fixes a problem where iTunes may become unresponsive while syncing iPod nano or iPod shuffle.

Resolves an ordering problem while browsing TV episodes in your iTunes library on Apple TV.




The download is 64.4MB and can be download via Software Update or Apple's support page.



[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

  • christophbchristophb Posts: 1,352member
    Hope they considered that Home Sharing disconnect while streaming video one of those bugs. My AppleTVs disco a few times per film/episode.
  • focherfocher Posts: 496member
    It is currently not showing on the support page, but it does appear if you use Software Update.



    This post will probably need to self destruct as to its relevance in about 2 minutes.
  • chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post


    Hope they considered that Home Sharing disconnect while streaming video one of those bugs. My AppleTVs disco a few times per film/episode.



    Mine works fine while I am using it but if I come back later (say the next day) I select the computer and when go into anything (movies, TV Shows) sometimes it simply tells me there is nothing in the library.

    I have to turn off Home Sharing on the AppleTV then turn it back on.



    I couldn't get 10.6 to run at all and this was with a new install of Lion and before I installed iPhoto. Others blamed iPhoto as the new version ('11) seemed to fix it. Sometimes.
  • hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 731member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by focher View Post


    It is currently not showing on the support page, but it does appear if you use Software Update.



    This post will probably need to self destruct as to its relevantness in about 2 minutes.



    relevance, not relevantness
  • cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by focher View Post


    It is currently not showing on the support page, but it does appear if you use Software Update.



    It always takes some time for these to show up on the support page.



    If you want the full installer (126MB), go to www.apple.com/itunes on a Mac and click on the Download button. You'll get the full disk image for standalone installation.
  • mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,442member
    Is it just me or is Wi-Fi sync still borked for anyone else? It has never worked reliably for me. I have an iPhone 4S and a new iPad. I'd say they syncs 40% of the time when plugged in to the wall. The other 60% of the time, I just get an error message in iTunes saying that my iPhone/iPad can't be found.



    Other times, they just don't show up at all under the devices heading in iTunes.
  • grmacgrmac Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


    Is it just me or is Wi-Fi sync still borked for anyone else? It has never worked reliably for me. I have an iPhone 4S and a new iPad. I'd say they syncs 40% of the time when plugged in to the wall. The other 60% of the time, I just get an error message in iTunes saying that my iPhone/iPad can't be found.



    Other times, they just don't show up at all under the devices heading in iTunes.



    I had similar problems, along with intermittent connectivity issues (more than seven total wireless devices).



    Everything is fine now that I've ditched the free Comcast/Netgear router and plunked down for an Airport Extreme. All is well now, no issues. Very happy camper.
  • amazingappleamazingapple Posts: 52member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grmac View Post


    I had similar problems, along with intermittent connectivity issues (more than seven total wireless devices).



    Everything is fine now that I've ditched the free Comcast/Netgear router and plunked down for an Airport Extreme. All is well now, no issues. Very happy camper.



    You make a very good point that many people overlook. A close friend had experienced various difficulties in syncing and Home Sharing. After he ditched his old non-Apple router and upgraded to an Airport Extreme, everything worked perfectly. Definitely something to consider if experiencing strange or erratic problems.
  • mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AmazingApple View Post


    You make a very good point that many people overlook. A close friend had experienced various difficulties in syncing and Home Sharing. After he ditched his old non-Apple router and upgraded to an Airport Extreme, everything worked perfectly. Definitely something to consider if experiencing strange or erratic problems.



    Meh, not worth it to me. I have a D-Link DIR-655 that works perfectly with every Wi-Fi device in my house:



    PS3

    Wii

    Two MacBook Airs

    Two iPhones

    iPad

    Epson wireless printer

    D-Link day/night security camera



    Hell, even Home Sharing works for me. I'm not buying another router just because of Apple's syncing issues.
  • jmgregory1jmgregory1 Posts: 365member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


    Meh, not worth it to me. I have a D-Link DIR-655 that works perfectly with every Wi-Fi device in my house:



    PS3

    Wii

    Two MacBook Airs

    Two iPhones

    iPad

    Epson wireless printer

    D-Link day/night security camera



    Hell, even Home Sharing works for me. I'm not buying another router just because of Apple's syncing issues.



    I thought the same thing - until I burned through 3 different routers in within the span of 18 months, each of which were highly rated. Figured I had already spent close to the same amount as a ATC, so I got one and have not had an issue in 7 months. There's something to be said about Apple's quality and performance.
  • quinneyquinney Posts: 2,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post


    Hope they considered that Home Sharing disconnect while streaming video one of those bugs. My AppleTVs disco a few times per film/episode.



    Quit watching Saturday Night Fever.
  • woodlinkwoodlink Posts: 198member
    Tomorrow, I bet Apple will release iTunes 10.6.2



    Jeeeesh.



    Whereas I like my products to be updated, it seems like there is an update every month.
  • jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post


    I thought the same thing - until I burned through 3 different routers in within the span of 18 months, each of which were highly rated. Figured I had already spent close to the same amount as a ATC, so I got one and have not had an issue in 7 months. There's something to be said about Apple's quality and performance.



    Yep. I've been through more routers than I can count - all from reputable companies with great reputations. All of them became boat anchors in less than a year (either due to hardware failure or inability to be upgraded to support new technologies and applications). My Apple routers are many years old and still working fine.
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 39,487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post


    Whereas I like my products to be updated, it seems like there is an update every month.



    How could this possibly be a bad thing?
  • estolinskiestolinski Posts: 138member
    Has anybody noticed that the scrollbar doesn't snap-to any longer? In library view (not Store view) when I click on the scrollbar, it used to snap to that point but as of 10.6 it no longer worked. Guess I'll see if 10.6.1 addresses this...



    Update-



    After updating to 10.6.1, I noticed that the scrollbar snap-to feature requires you to click on the point you want to snap-to on the scrollbar AND move the cursor, just a small movement is all that is required. Not sure if this was the case in 10.6 because I never thought to try it.
  • grmacgrmac Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


    Meh, not worth it to me. I have a D-Link DIR-655 that works perfectly with every Wi-Fi device in my house:



    PS3

    Wii

    Two MacBook Airs

    Two iPhones

    iPad

    Epson wireless printer

    D-Link day/night security camera



    Hell, even Home Sharing works for me. I'm not buying another router just because of Apple's syncing issues.



    No kidding, why would you bother when everything works? I wonder if Comcast cripples their "free" router at five devices, because they always try to up-sell you to a business account if you're having intermittent connectivity issues. For me, that includes the PS3, Sony blu-ray, and a wireless camera. At five devices, no issues. Add more, and they all start to experience connectivity issues. Oh, and the HP wireless printer, which worked sporadically at any number of devices, has been flawless.



    Luckily, an Extreme is my first wireless router purchase, and we'll see if it's money well spent.
  • splash-reversesplash-reverse Posts: 646member
    I got Safari 5.1.5 update along with iTunes 10.6.1 as well...
  • classicguyclassicguy Posts: 44member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


    Is it just me or is Wi-Fi sync still borked for anyone else? It has never worked reliably for me. I have an iPhone 4S and a new iPad. I'd say they syncs 40% of the time when plugged in to the wall. The other 60% of the time, I just get an error message in iTunes saying that my iPhone/iPad can't be found.



    Other times, they just don't show up at all under the devices heading in iTunes.



    I started having the issue when I got my iPad 3... bit me again today. I run iTunes, my iPad shows up, I can see the summary page and all the info it correct. I hit Sync and it thermometers for a while then tells me it can't find my iPad! THEN it deletes the Device entry in the left hand sidebar.



    Went to the iPad to make sure it had network connectivity, it did. THEN it again showed up in iTunes.



    Prior to 10.6.1, it almost never actually did show up (via my LAN). I read a hint on the fruit's forums about needing to totally power down the device. THAT seemed to work, before I go to sleep, I power it off, awakening it the next morning when I toss it on the charger. Unsure if I will HAVE to keep doing that or not. Oh, I also played with the "gotta plug it in to WiFi sync" and found that Action to be pointless. There really is no reason one should have to do that...



    As someone who has been with the platform since May 1984, I must say the current state of their software is simply god awful. Not to mention how they actually severely penalize users for having Mac computers... my machine is all of 15 months old and I can NOT use iCloud while a 7-8 year old Windows machine CAN do iCloud... how frakked up is that?
Sign In or Register to comment.