Google, Facebook working to undermine Do Not Track privacy protections

Comments

• Reply 21 of 264
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

No one forces you to use Google.

Google has its fingers in websites across the web--as partly exemplified by their subversion of the do-no-track setting in Safari and IE. There's really no way to avoid "using" Google, unless Google flat-out changes its behavior, which it will only do if forced to.

And as far as I'm concerned, there's nothing to stop governments from legislating that Google et al. can not track users at all.

I encourage them to do so.
  • Reply 22 of 264
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I already said that's not possible.

You're wrong. I work for a company that does this kind of stuff. Browser security limits actually constrain us quite a bit. But it's just that most people don't really care. They value the wonderful and free services and content their getting more.

The real fact is that the whiners here simply want to use the servers, bandwidth, content, software services, etc. that are provided for free and not have any tracking.

Fine. Don't want to be tracked, don't use them.
  • Reply 23 of 264
    Quote:

Then don't use their websites. Turn off cookies. Stop using your browser.

You have the freedom to do all of that. Right now.

I can go outside my house without fear of being tracked (unless I'm implicated in a crime), but you're saying going on the Internet is somehow different? Please explain.
  • Reply 24 of 264
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Google has its fingers in websites across the web--as partly exemplified by their subversion of the do-no-track setting in Safari and IE. There's really no way to avoid "using" Google.

Stop using them.

Quote:

And as far as I'm concerned, there's nothing to stop governments from legislating that Google et al. can not track users at all.

I encourage them to do so.

You know what, I'm frankly far more concerned about the government who can look into my phone records, bank accounts, medical records and, yes, internet records any time they want for any reason and without telling me or anyone.
  • Reply 25 of 264
    Quote:

I can go outside my house without fear of being tracked (unless I'm implicated in a crime), but you're saying the Internet is somehow different? Please explain.

Actually you probably can't go outside your house without fear of being tracked...by the very government you want to intervene here.
  • Reply 26 of 264
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Then don't use their websites. Turn off cookies. Stop using your browser.

You have the freedom to do all of that. Right now.

Stop saying this. I'm trying to tell you that it is impossible to escape Google's tracking and continue to have any sort of browsing experience.

I disabled my Safari rules and reloaded this page. This is what came up FROM JUST THIS PAGE.

They're all important, but take a look at the last one.

You. Cannot. Escape. Google. You cannot "stop using them". Come off it.
  • Reply 27 of 264
    Quote:

Stop saying this. I'm trying to tell you that it is impossible to escape Google's tracking and continue to have any sort of browsing experience.

No one is forcing you to have a browsing experience. If you're that concerned, don't.
  • Reply 28 of 264
    Quote:

You know what, I'm frankly far more concerned about the government who can look into my phone records, bank accounts, medical records and, yes, internet records any time they want for any reason and without telling me or anyone.

I'm concerned about all those things, too. Why would you allow governments to do just that, via Google?
  • Reply 29 of 264
    Quote:

You. Cannot. Escape. Google. You cannot "stop using them". Come off it.

Yes. You. Can. You just don't want to go to give up the benefits.
  • Reply 30 of 264
    Quote:

Then why would you allow governments to do just that, via Google?

They can (and do) do it without Google. Google is the very least of my concerns. At least they give me tremendous value.
  • Reply 31 of 264
    Quote:

No one is forcing you to have a browsing experience. If you're that concerned, don't.

Quote:

Yes. You. Can. You just don't want to go to give up the benefits.

I see how it is now. My apologies for bothering to argue the point.
  • Reply 32 of 264
    Quote:

They can (and do) do it without Google. Google is the very least of my concerns. At least they give me tremendous value.

The U.S. government uses Google a lot, but Google is simply not allowed to tell us about it.

How do you know Google gives you good value?
  • Reply 33 of 264
    Quote:

I see how it is now. My apologies for bothering to argue the point.

No apology required. The simple fact is that you don't want to give up any of the benefits that come from visiting the sites you visit.
  • Reply 34 of 264
    Quote:

The U.S. government uses Google a lot, but Google is simply not allowed to tell us about it.

How do you know Google gives you good value?

Because I know what value I get from them. \
  • Reply 35 of 264
    Quote:

No apology required. The simple fact is that you don't want to give up any of the benefits that come from visiting the sites you visit.

No, the simple fact is that I'd like to use the Internet sans Google websites without being tracked by Google everywhere I go. That's not possible, but as you refuse to believe that even after having been shown evidence, we're done here.
  • Reply 36 of 264
    Quote:

No, the simple fact is that I'd like to use the Internet sans Google websites without being tracked by Google everywhere I go. That's not possible, but as you refuse to believe that even after having been shown evidence, we're done here.

Yes...you want all of the benefits of using the internet but not the cost associated with getting almost all of that for free. I guess are done if you refuse to see this.
  • Reply 37 of 264
    Quote:

Yes...you want all of the benefits of using the internet but not the cost associated with getting almost all of that for free. I guess are done if you refuse to see this.

Would you like to explain why ads need to

1. Know where I am, what I'm doing, and what's going on with me beyond "hey, I got clicked on".

2. Be from Google at all.

or are you content with continuing to repeat "then just don't use it" and expect people to take you seriously?
  • Reply 38 of 264
    Quote:

Would you like to explain why ads need to

1. Know where I am, what I'm doing, and what's going on with me beyond "hey, I got clicked on".

I don't know. I'm not the one placing the ads. But, from my experience, my guess is that they are trying to learn more about you in order to better target ads to you.

Quote:

2. Be from Google at all.

They don't have to be.
  • Reply 39 of 264
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member
    Thank goodness for FireFox.

Google Analytics and a whole bunch of other advertisement scripts are being blocked by the NO SCRIPT add on!
  • Reply 40 of 264
    Quote:

Because I know what value I get from them. \

And how much of that "value" is due to their tracking?