Google, Facebook working to undermine Do Not Track privacy protections

Comments

• Reply 61 of 264
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Well perhaps authors will need to find different ways to provide their knowledge.

Or Google should stop stealing the work of others and linking it to thier ad engine?

You wanted to know how Google's method of earning money could be evil. I presented a solid real example.
  • Reply 62 of 264
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Privacy will always be a cat & mouse game, both legal and illegal, on the Internet. The Internet is the lawless wild west ethos. No one person or government can protect your privacy on the Internet. There are plenty of laws that protect certain sensitive personal data. That said, if you want someone else to secure your identity on the Internet, you will always be at risk. Using the Internet without being tracked isn't that hard to do. For most people the free program DNT+ is all that is needed. Those more concerned think in terms of stealth, proxies, monitoring I/O, and strong proactive security habits.

Only you can protect your privacy by utilizing some Internet street-smarts, really good software, and security services.
  • Reply 63 of 264
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I have a better idea.

There's a "do not call" registry that you can sign up for which bans telemarketers from calling you. I'd favor the same thing for the Internet. If you sign up for the registry and install a token on your computer, they're not allowed to track you AT ALL.

Meanwhile, thank the molecules, we have some tools like click to flash and Little Snich. There's hardly a web page I visit that Little Snitch doesn't inform me that a request to 'connect' occured these days. I of course say no. This is why apps are the future, Google and Adobe are hijacking the web so we may as well move on.
  • Reply 64 of 264
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

The definition of a freetard, in a nutshell.

Oh good. More name calling.
  • Reply 65 of 264
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Or Google should stop stealing the work of others and linking it to thier ad engine?

You wanted to know how Google's method of earning money could be evil. I presented a solid real example.

Fair enough. Though they could stop doing this specific thing and still be making a profit I suspect.
  • Reply 66 of 264
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Exactly. The entire Google Books fiasco was a clear indication that Google did not respect anyone else's intellectual property.
  • Reply 67 of 264
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Meanwhile, thank the molecules, we have some tools like click to flash and Little Snich. There's hardly a web page I visit that Little Snitch doesn't inform me that a request to 'connect' occured these days. I of course say no. This is why apps are the future, Google and Adobe are hijacking the web so we may as well move on.

Click to Flash is free, but why should I have to pay $30 to keep Google from invading my privacy? The default should be for them to keep their noses off my computer.
  • Reply 68 of 264
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

Privacy will always be a cat & mouse game, both legal and illegal, on the Internet.

Good! Let's start playing the game already, Mr. Zuck.
  • Reply 69 of 264
    Quote:

No idea. I'm getting so much value it doesn't matter to me.

You might be in the minority.

Ignorance is not bliss, by the way.
  • Reply 70 of 264
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

...2. Turn off cookies on your browser(s)...completely or just for Google...

This was done by default in Safari.

Google (and others) found and used a way to get around it.

Bing gets better every day.
  • Reply 71 of 264
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    ... is a program on the App store called 'Cookie' by SweetP productions. Does a great job of getting rid of the cookies I don't want (I'm looking at YOU, Google Analytics!) among others but lets me keep the ones I want - like to stay logged in to my favourite Apple Fan site.

It also deletes Flash Cookies, which are sneakier than the normal ones.

I have no affiliation at all with the company - just a happy user.
  • Reply 72 of 264
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

You might be in the minority.

And I might not be.

Quote:

Ignorance is not bliss, by the way.

I know. I'm not ignorant of the issues, I just don't see them doing me any real harm, certainly in exchange for the value I receive at this point plus I have a variety of ways to block the stuff if I care enough.
  • Reply 73 of 264
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Click to Flash is free, but why should I have to pay $30 to keep Google from invading my privacy? The default should be for them to keep their noses off my computer.

Same reason you pay money to put curtains in your house.
  • Reply 74 of 264
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Bing gets better every day.

If you think for a second Microsoft won't do the same stuff you're nuts.

But...if they don't and offer that as a differentiator...COOL!
  • Reply 75 of 264
    Quote:

I know. I'm not ignorant of the issues, I just don't see them doing me any real harm

Sounds like ignorance to me!
  • Reply 76 of 264
    Quote:

Sounds like ignorance to me!

What harm is this doing to me? Fact is you have no idea. None. In other words you are ignorant of what it is doing to me, but speaking "authoritatively" from that ignorance.

Fact is, I'm probably much more knowledgeable than you (and certainly than the average web/internet user) about what going on.
  • Reply 77 of 264
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Someone mentioned Ghostery. I installed it and blocked everything. Seems to be working.

My opinion is and always has been (even before the Internet) that I own my personal data. It's mine and always has been and no should be allowed to use it without my explicit permission. This includes my credit info and my Internet browsing. No entity should be allowed to make money off my personal data - without me getting a cut.

This is only going to be solved by a federal law or a Constitutional amendment. Corporations want to be persons? Fine, but they can't have my data without paying for it.
  • Reply 78 of 264
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

This is only going to be solved by a federal law or a Constitutional amendment.

Constitutional amendment?!

No. Federal law or a Constitutional amendment are not the only way this can be solved.
  • Reply 79 of 264
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

If you think for a second Microsoft won't do the same stuff you're nuts.

But...if they don't and offer that as a differentiator...COOL!

The only thing I care about is that it isn't Google, a company that has shown themselves time and time again to be too hypocritical for my liking.

When the first beta search engine came out of Stanford I thought they were pretty cool and used to recommend them to the rare friends who were using the Internet in those days, I guess over time greed and the lust for power corrupted Google .

For Google searches now I recommend this:-

https://startpage.com/
  • Reply 80 of 264
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRR View Post

Wow- you are a cheap date. google and their shareholders love good little consumers like you that fall in line like you owe them something for their enormous return on manipulating you.

How is Google manipulating me? There is one thing I'm certain about: internet advertising is NEVER going away. Do you remember the internet a few years ago BEFORE the rise of Google and other major advertising networks? The internet was a crap pile of obnoxious blinking banner ads that generally had no relevance to you or the site you were visiting. I remember that fracking "punch the monkey" banner ad; I believe it popped up on this site all the time.

I know it's impossible to avoid advertising on the internet. So I have 2 choices: 1) Go back to the days when ads were pretty much randomly served up to me or 2) Get ads that are actually relevant to me and/or the site I'm visiting. Which do you think makes for a better end experience?

And no, I really don't care if Google knows the sites I visit. If it means I don't have to slog through sites covered in ads about Erectile Dysfunction and penile enhancement, that makes me a happy girl.