When do you think Apple should break away from using 'i' ?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
When do you think Apple should break away from using 'i' on most all of its products since that nomenclature has been used for nearly 14 years (Apple TV is still a hobby). Eventually Apple 'i' products will become so commonplace that a new generation of kids will grow up associating 'i' things with their aging parents (like Chrysler minivans and Sony Walkmans). It's eventually going to happen and there might be nothing Apple can really do since often the very thing that makes a corporation hugely succcessful and popular can be it's undoing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    They've been using "Macintosh" for 28. Should they move to other types of apple when OS XI hits and they redefine what a computer is again?

Maybe. But it's so intertwined that they probably never will.

Would you buy an Eastingshack lightbulb (I know, bad example)?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    The whole reason I bring this up is because Tim Cook said they called the latest iPad the 'new iPad' instead of the 'iPad 3' because they didn't want to become too predictable. I thought this reasoning was sort of BS, since Apple is all about being predictable with their 'i' products and their use of either white, black, and stainless steel finishes.

Steve wanted to call the first Mac the 'Bicycle', and the first 'iMac' the 'Macman' so maybe Apple can go with 'BicycleMan' since Tim loves biking
  • Reply 3 of 6
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    As such I really don't see where the problem is!

Think about it, Apples really new products are not all iDevices at all. MB AIR, AppleTV are examples. I think Apple uses "I" where it will do the most good, that is in conjunction with personal devices. I Is for mine, me or the person.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

The whole reason I bring this up is because Tim Cook said they called the latest iPad the 'new iPad' instead of the 'iPad 3' because they didn't want to become too predictable. I thought this reasoning was sort of BS, since Apple is all about being predictable with their 'i' products and their use of either white, black, and stainless steel finishes.

Steve wanted to call the first Mac the 'Bicycle', and the first 'iMac' the 'Macman' so maybe Apple can go with 'BicycleMan' since Tim loves biking

• Reply 4 of 6
    I'm sure there is another 5 years left on the 'i', but when the run is finally over I expect the Apple that we know will have become something different. Whether the 'something different' is better or worse only time will tell.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    I think it will depend on the devices they sell. Over the next 10 years, I expect all the desktop products to be replaced by mobile so the 'i' nomenclature if anything will become more prevalent. Some people have grown to dislike it due to its overuse but it's not really Apple to blame. 3rd party accessory makers and competitors keep using it.

It is probably the simplest, iconic identifier any company has ever created and I personally think they should keep it permanently.

Ultimately, I see just one product existing - an internet-enabled portable device...

iPod.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Ultimately, I see just one product existing - an internet-enabled portable device...

One device to rule them all, so maybe a change from 'i' to 'O' might be in order.

Yes, the iRing is fake.