Judge affirms vital Apple touchscreen patent in case against Motorola

1234689

Comments

  • dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 11,464member, moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    Moto's products are lousy and so is their service. Derivative, undifferentiated junk (unless "fugly" counts as differentiation.)

    There's a reason they needed a buyout. They were tanking.



    Those who fail to re-invent their business end up as buyout-bait with nothing left but an old trove of patents,

    most of which they try to wield around (or abuse) for FRAND licensing dollars. Like an old hooker way past her sell-by date.



    I kinda feel sorry for Moto. That like Nokia, they've become this sad and pathetic in their old age.

    There was a time when they made decent products and were able to respond to market forces (which to be fair, were moving along at a glacial pace anyway.)



    Apple in 2007 and later in 2010 destroyed a lot of comfortable (but hopelessly dated) business strategies in the mobile sector.



    "Like an old hooker way past her sell-by date."



    Message received -- and Understood!
  • gtrgtr Posts: 3,177member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    So if a dwarf pretended to be a psychic stealing people's money and then was on the run from the feds you'd stand up for the small medium at large?



    Arrrgh!!!



    I just know you've had that little gem tucked away just waiting for the right time to unleash it.



    Could you try up-sizing your humor a little before you injure somebody?
  • dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 11,464member, moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post


    Well, in light of the claims that the recently upheld patent is "vital", Mr Job's apparent desire to destroy Android, and all the talk about thermonuclear war on Android, it is hardly a platitude to claim that Android will survive unaffected.



    Even the fact that patents may lead only to royalties and not product bans has been suggested to pose a threat on the survival of Android, since making the OS too expensive will drive down the profits of the manufacturers and they may opt for WP instead.



    In the end, I think it is non-trivial to suggest that the effect of this particular patent on end consumers will be as insignificant as those of the previous patents that caused features in Android to be reworked.



    At what point does Google realize that trying to profit from Android is like pushing a rope up a hill?
  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post


    I just know you've had that little gem tucked away just waiting for the right time to unleash it.



    You know me too well.
  • relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    So the "little guy" is automatically in the right and the "big guy" is automatically in the wrong? And you don't see a problem with that mindset or your lack of objectivity? So if a dwarf pretended to be a psychic stealing people's money and then was on the run from the feds you'd stand up for the small medium at large?



    Oh gosh not at all, I just don't support every company willy nilly. Just those that deserve a little more respect then,"they suck", "Apple will kick their ass". Motorola is a good company though. After playing with my nurses Xoom 2 I never realized there were other tablets with such good build quality. It's really quite good actually, it even supports a active digitized pen.



    It was strange though, it runs this shell that I guess sits on top of Android that is only for hospital business. Quite a cool piece of technology, I had no idea Motorola had such medical systems. It's connected to the entire hospital database where a doctor and nurse can pull up information on any patient instantly, manipulate the prescriptions, change patient needs and every doctor has to sign off using a digitized pen that is also a normal pen. The girl who asks what I want for dinner even uses one, really neat stuff. This is the kind of things that excites me.



    Just when you think a company like Motorola sucks because you read so on some obscure Apple fan site I then see what their all about in reality.



    On a more personal note, your not a very nice person are you. At least to those who don't agree with Apple all the time. I think you need a hug.
  • apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    So the "little guy" is automatically in the right and the "big guy" is automatically in the wrong? And you don't see a problem with that mindset or your lack of objectivity? So if a dwarf pretended to be a psychic stealing people's money and then was on the run from the feds you'd stand up for the small medium at large?



    Screw the little guy. I'll stick up for whoever happens to be right. If the little guy is wrong, then they deserve to be crushed.
  • dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 11,464member, moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post


    Well I'm sure their not idiots. Motorola still has a top notch assembly line and have really creative people working for them. They are going threw a hard time right now but hopefully with the help of Google they can turn things around.



    There was time on this board where Motorola could do no wrong, you remember the PowerPC era, G3, G4 especially. It's amazing how fast you guys turn on something when it involves Apple in a negative way. Apple is just a company like the rest, they don't care about you and if Apple had their way, forums like this wouldn't even exist.



    Isn't Motorola an American company, don't they hire thousands of Americans, still manufacture their products in US borders. In this worlds financial crisis I think any company that is still standing and paying for peoples lively hoods deserve a little more respect then what there receiving here.



    The patent system is flawed and is being used by company's to hinder the business of others. Everyone is doing it and everyone is at fault and it sucks and it is wrong. Yes I believe in protected property, but the things that past as patents nowadays is ridiculous. Case in point, Apples Nano SIM, it's a just a Micro SIM that has been cut down to make it smaller.



    I'm still in the hospital and it's looking like I won't be leaving any times soon if at all, anyway that's not important. Looking around my room I see my heart monitor that has a Motorola badge on it, so did the respirator I was on and the tablet the nurses use. The company doesn't just make phones they build things to improve peoples lives even sustain them. What I'm trying to say is not every one is like Apple, Steve Jobs resurrected what was once a dying company to now the worlds most profitable. Good for them, as a owner of stock and computers I couldn't be happier. However other company's deserve the same recognition that Apple is getting, there will always be ups and downs, Apple will not be number 1 forever, history has shown that.



    Motorola is still a good American company. I'm not even American an I appreciate them.



    Look I understand a lot of you just think I'm a troll and that's understandable as I don't blindly worship Apple and support other systems and manufactures. I came to this forum to see what other people were doing with their macs and also to find cool new programs to play with. Instead what I found was some sort of high school clicky popularity contest to see who can say the best things about Apple and the worst things about everyone else.



    Hey, I like that to as I'm a nosy female but I will also always stand up for the little guy, it's just in my nature as a good person. You can't become an international firm with billions of sales by being an idiot with crappy products, as the person who I am replying to suggests. I am not a plant, I am not a troll, I love most Apple products, however I will always try to find something good to say about the company that is being crucified at the moment. I am very sorry if you don't like that and if there isn't a place for someone like me here then just say the word and I'm gone.





    Sorry to hear about the extended hospital stay...





    Motorola split into 2 companies -- the hospital and pro gear is not being bought by Google:



    Motorola To Split Into 2 Companies: Motorola Mobility, Motorola Solutions



    Motorola Solutions





    This is the crap that Google is buying for $12.5 Billion.



    Motorola Mobility



  • apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post


    It was strange though, it runs this shell that I guess sits on top of Android that is only for hospital business. Quite a cool piece of technology, I had no idea Motorola had such medical systems. It's connected to the entire hospital database where a doctor and nurse can pull up information on any patient instantly, manipulate the prescriptions, change patient needs and every doctor has to sign off using a digitized pen that is also a normal pen. The girl who asks what I want for dinner even uses one, really neat stuff. This is the kind of things that excites me.



    That sounds like a real shitty hospital.



    I would refuse to be admitted into a hospital that was using a Xoom tablet. The iPad is so far ahead of anything else when it comes to health applications.



    What would be a hospital's motivation for choosing a Xoom tablet? Are they ignorant? Are they Fandroids? Either way, their reasons or excuses does not bode well for them.
  • dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 11,464member, moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    So the "little guy" is automatically in the right and the "big guy" is automatically in the wrong? And you don't see a problem with that mindset or your lack of objectivity? So if a dwarf pretended to be a psychic stealing people's money and then was on the run from the feds you'd stand up for the small medium at large?



    Is that a joke about the Height challenged? Length challenged?



    Me... I've always been a fan of the overdog!

  • gtrgtr Posts: 3,177member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    That sounds like a real shitty hospital.



    I would refuse to be admitted into a hospital that was using a Xoom tablet. The iPad is so far ahead of anything else when it comes to health applications.



    What would be a hospital's motivation for choosing a Xoom tablet? Are they ignorant? Are they Fandroids? Either way, their reasons or excuses does not bode well for them.



    It's probably a public hospital. With all the bundled budget constraints.
  • gtrgtr Posts: 3,177member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    Is that a joke about the Height challenged? Length challenged?



    Me... I've always been a fan of the overdog!



    I know a guy who is a dwarf.



    We walked into a bar together the other day, and I turned to him and said, 'You're lucky you're so short. That hurt like hell!'...
  • relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post


    I disagree with many of your points, as any small amount of research on the companies involved will disprove them. However, I am beginning to understand your 'trolling' as perhaps a misguided attempt to do the right thing and support the underdog (which is definitely not always a good thing).



    However, I, and I'm sure many other AppleInsider members, hope that whatever issue it is that afflicts you and has you in hospital is resolved, and that you get well soon.



    Thank you for your concern, that was very nice of you. I know a lot of people are against Motorola for suing Apple first then Apple retaliating by suing Motorola. I wish both of them would just stop however that isn't realistic. At least Motorola has already stopped using the offending technology that is in question.
  • dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 11,464member, moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post


    It's probably a public hospital. With all the bundled budget constraints.



    This
  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post


    Oh gosh not at all, I just don't support every company willy nilly. Just those that deserve a little more respect then,"they suck", "Apple will kick their ass". Motorola is a good company though. After playing with my nurses Xoom 2 I never realized there were other tablets with such good build quality. It's really quite good actually, it even supports a active digitized pen.



    Human communication is imperfect so it's up to the writer to be as clear as possible when addressing a particular audience. You saying that you always stand up for the little guy and then saying that you don't isn't just you lacking objectivity, but not thinking about what you are writing.



    If you're wondering why you think you're being "attacked" on these forums it's because there are a lot of intelligent people here who don't readily suffer foolishness or bullshit.



    Try being objective. Try being clear. Try looking your argument from the point of the reader and do some research to back up your arguments.



    Quote:

    On a more personal note, your not a very nice person are you. At least to those who don't agree with Apple all the time. I think you need a hug.



    It's odd that you make personal attacks toward me and others but then get upset when I and others take positions against your comments.
  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    I would refuse to be admitted into a hospital that was using a Xoom tablet. The iPad is so far ahead of anything else when it comes to health applications.



    I don't think it was until the end of 2009, less than 3 years ago, that Apple started using the own PoS systems in Apple Stores. From the inception of the Apple Store until then it was handheld Motorola Symbol PoS systems running WinCE OS.
  • relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    That sounds like a real shitty hospital.



    I would refuse to be admitted into a hospital that was using a Xoom tablet. The iPad is so far ahead of anything else when it comes to health applications.



    What would be a hospital's motivation for choosing a Xoom tablet? Are they ignorant? Are they Fandroids? Either way, their reasons or excuses does not bode well for them.



    Um you do know that Motorola has a very large medical division right, It's not only the hardware but the custom software behind it. I'm sure Apple is making a lot of headway in introducing there tablets to medicine and that's great especially in high quality images for xrays . Motorola on the other hand has been doing this for a few decades and has many other medical devices besides just a tablet. Their monitoring systems are world class and deliver real time stats to the doctor, there is also a custom system that sits on top of that Xoom 2. Apple doesn't do that yet, there are third party software company's that do it but you know who is on top of that list, maybe in the future Apple will provide custom solutions for hospitals. A big reason why the Motorola added a digitized pen to the Xoom 2 is so doctors and other professionals can sign off on things.



    I don't understand why Apple has to be the choice for every piece of tech for every industry. When Apple has a respirator like Motorola which kept me alive for 4 days while I couldn't breathe on my own then I'll start thinking like you, until then Apple can't and doesn't do everything. It doesn't matter how much I love Apple products.
  • dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 11,464member, moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    Human communication is imperfect so it's up to the writer to be as clear as possible when addressing a particular audience. You saying that you always stand up for the little guy and then saying that you don't isn't just you lacking objectivity, but not thinking about what you are writing.



    If you're wondering why you think you're being "attacked" on these forums it's because there are a lot of intelligent people here who don't readily suffer foolishness or bullshit.



    Try being objective. Try being clear. Try looking your argument from the point of the reader and do some research to back up your arguments.





    It's odd that you make personal attacks toward me and others but then get upset when I and others take positions against your comments.



    @Relic



    I am with Sol here...



    Several times (even today) I have considered putting you on my ignore list (along with gator/zather) -- because most of your posts are a rambling pro-everything-but-Apple whinge.



    IMO, this kind of stuff doesn't contribute to the discussion here!



    I do realize that you are living in confined circumstances and receiving medications including morphine -- that could be partially responsible...



    I think that when you make well-considered posts -- most regulars, here, will respond in kind!





    P.S. I have retained SolipsismX as my official hugger...

  • relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post


    Um you do know that Motorola has a very large medical division right, It's not only the hardware but the custom software behind it. I'm sure Apple is making a lot of headway in introducing there tablets to medicine and that's great especially in high quality images for xrays . Motorola on the other hand has been doing this for a few decades and has many other medical devices besides just a tablet. Their monitoring systems are world class and deliver real time stats to the doctor, there is also a custom system that sits on top of that Xoom 2. Apple doesn't do that yet, there are third party software company's that do it but you know who is on top of that list, maybe in the future Apple will provide custom solutions for hospitals. A big reason why the Motorola added a digitized pen to the Xoom 2 is so doctors and other professionals can sign off on things.



    I don't understand why Apple has to be the choice for every piece of tech for every industry. When Apple has a respirator like Motorola which kept me alive for 4 days while I couldn't breathe on my own then I'll start thinking like you, until then Apple can't and doesn't do everything. It doesn't matter how much I love Apple products.



    You know what I'm sorry the respirator was made by 3M, I just asked my nurse. Motorola makes the system that monitors every piece of equipment in the hospital then relays that information to both the nurses station and handheld devices. They also make the EKG machine that I have connected to me and the heart, blood pressure and blood oxygen monitor. She's letting me play with one of their handheld's tomorrow if I promise to go to sleep now. I just got an injection and I'm ging to float off pretty soon. I'll let you guys know how I find the software as I'm really interested in it. I think that it is so awesome that there are now systems that can do this kind of thing.



    Goodnight everybody sleep well.
  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    @Relic



    I am with Sol here...



    Several times (even today) I have considered putting you on my ignore list (along with gator/zather) -- because most of your posts are a rambling pro-everything-but-Apple whinge.



    IMO, this kind of stuff doesn't contribute to the discussion here!



    I do realize that you are living in confined circumstances and receiving medications including morphine -- that could be partially responsible...



    I think that when you make well-considered posts -- most regulars, here, will respond in kind!





    P.S. I have retained SolipsismX as my official hugger...



    Internet forums have done something truly remarkable. It has brought together people of a common interest without any prerequisites for age, gender, country, culture, mental or physical health, etc. without any of the typical discrimination. You are present by choice and are judged based solely on your words.



    I have no idea if Relic is truly a female in hospital in Switzerland. I also have no reason to doubt any one of those things just as I have no reason to doubt the part of your (Applebaum) life and working with Apple early on.



    But does any of these things matter when addressing someone in and internet forum? Should we give up objectivity because we think we know something personal a forum member? I sure hope not. If I make a blatantly false statement I hope I'm called out on it because I want to learn from my mistake. I'm not a member because I want my back patted, I'm a member because I want to be educated and AI forum members have never let me down in that regard.





    PS: I'm nonplussed by your hugging comment.
  • gatorguygatorguy Posts: 14,912member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    @Relic



    I am with Sol here...



    Several times (even today) I have considered putting you on my ignore list (along with gator/zather)



    Then you've probably missed out on several things you didn't know, along with any opportunity to point out anything I said that might not be accurate.



    Thanks. It saves time not having to dispute posts.
Sign In or Register to comment.