Apple's redesigned 2012 iMacs rumored to feature anti-reflective glass displays

Comments

• Reply 21 of 103
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

On the keyboard ... I wonder if we will one day have virtual key boards from Apple, as in the keyboard will just be a screen like an elongated iPad. It would have the huge advantage of running any language and be context aware for apps with the ability to control this when running. It seems like the logical evolution to me. Why make mechanical keyboards in this day and age?

I wouldn't downplay tactile feedback that much. It's a big one imo. That's not to say apple may not be able to innovate something where you don't even need to touch something, but my fingers need some sort of response to wail on a keyboard. It helps guide my fingers as I type. I know I'm not the only one out there that feels the same way. Which is why these keyboards still exist.

With that being said, I'm very curious of this .2mm feedback. That couldn't be "just enough" feedback to improve typing speeds.
  • Reply 22 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Imagine if Apple wanted to use the iMac as the basis for the rumoured Apple TV set. You could, for example, take the insides of the base iMac, combined with a 40-inch screen and some additional connection options yet bring the device in at around the $2,000 price point now applied to the higher-performance 27-inch model.

There would be no need in such a device for the higher performance bits found in the current top-end iMac. This would result in a computer/TV for the rec room that would be a rather compelling all-in-one.

For that matter, adding additional connectivity to all of the iMac line would not be a bad way to go. In doing that you would effectively turn the iMac line into a line of TVs that feature an Apple computer built in.

Seems to me that if you took the base iMac, upgraded the screen and the connectivity hardware, such a device could come in at around $2,000 and really blow away anything of a similar price point. If there were concerns about form factor with the smaller models, an option would be to offer additional connectivity via a Thunderbolt attachment.

Just some thoughts on how this could go.

I highly doubt we'll see iMac hardware in a future TV. nor do I see a way to do that and keep it at 2k.

I would expect a TV to come out with one of their Ax processors, not Intel.
  • Reply 23 of 103
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Oh, you mean it won't be glossy? All those matte people will be so conflicted now ... Is anti glare to be considered matte ... I doubt it!

On the keyboard ... Why make mechanical keyboards in this day and age?

Because you can't touch type on a touch screen keyboard. I type ninety words per minute, and most professionals who use a keyboard for a significant amount of typing have similar requirements. While Apple might make a touch screen keyboard, I don't see this ever...EVER...being the de facto keyboard standard for productivity. To touch type (type without looking), one must rest his fingers on the keyboard and be able to feel the keys...just like a pianist. If you you replaced a piano with a touchscreen, a pianist would be unable to play because he would lose his place. Nor can your eyes move from key to key as fast as you can type. As nice as touchscreens are, there are some solutions that are, simply, better. I think any typist and pianist would agree...a mechanical keyboard is technologically more advanced, in terms of function and utility, than a touchscreen. Occasionally I hear someone brag about how fast he can type on a touchscreen...and then I watch him and laugh. It simply isn't comparable.
  • Reply 24 of 103
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soundvision View Post

I highly doubt we'll see iMac hardware in a future TV. nor do I see a way to do that and keep it at 2k... I would expect a TV to come out with one of their Ax processors, not Intel.

Funny to think about but isn't it interesting that x86 has been totally eclipsed by Apples A? Line of processors and it's brothers and sisters from the various ARM offshoots? Id be interested to hear some real numbers but I'd imagine the ARM world has more developers more apps and perhaps even more total sales than x86 at this point. If not now I'm sure that day will come quite quickly.
  • Reply 25 of 103
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

They weren't anti-glare, they were matt. They suffered terribly from 'white-out' if direct sunlight hit them.

I've trouble had is explaining that there is a difference, it's like no one noticed and are completely unaware. Gloss/matte was always a false dilemma in my opinion, they weren't as good as a decent Rayleigh coating. A lot of CRTs had Rayleigh type anti glare coatings so you don't need a matte surface, even Apple's flat CRTs had it. It's a similar treatment to anti-glare glasses and camera lenses. The current MacBook Air have that kind of treatment, I thought seriously about getting one because of it. If Apple makes an iMac like that, I'll go with that. I was considering having such glass custom cut for an iMac.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soundvision View Post

I highly doubt we'll see iMac hardware in a future TV. nor do I see a way to do that and keep it at 2k.

I would expect a TV to come out with one of their Ax processors, not Intel.

I think a lower spec iMac-like circuitry with a TV-type screen is easily doable, I just wouldn't expect them to.
  • Reply 26 of 103
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BandiTT View Post

The white iMacs already had anti glare displays. Apple switched to "glossy only" on the aluminium iMacs...

There are some interesting technologies out there for glass screen. Expensive technologies so I'm not sure what Apple has coming. In this case though they did imply a treated Glass surface so it could be interesting.
  • Reply 27 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It is not correct to say "a first for an Apple desktop," because the iMac used to come with antireflective screens, back when it was the "sunflower" design. Also, up until recently, Mac Pros were sold with Cinema Displays that had antireflective matte screens. Maybe the people who write these articles should be required to pass a test on Apple history?

The whole article did loose some credibility as the writer confused many issues. For one a matte screen is not the same thing as an anti reflective glass screen. While I hope the rumors are based on some fact, it is pretty hard to tell what a new iMac might have from this article.
  • Reply 28 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Matte != anti-glare

My eyes say otherwise
  • Reply 29 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post

I really hope they do something about the gap between the LCD and glass. One of my biggest complaints about my iMac is the ghosting that forms between the layers due to a poor seal between the two. I already had the glass and LCD replaced once within the first 7 months, as well as the optical drive. The ghosting started to return within a month, and now there's a dead pixel in the LCD. Good thing I bought AppleCare. The downside is driving 2 hours to the nearest Apple Store, since I can't trust the poor quality of work and service I received from my closer (40 minutes away) Apple Authorized Repair center.

Sorry to hear about your problems! In the future you can avoid such by not buying all in ones.
  • Reply 30 of 103
    Wow. Jobs dies and suddenly we have anti-glare iMacs in the offering.

I for one am interested, as I have previously indicated my current matte screen iMac would be my last Mac.

I'd have to see the new systems in person though.

Also, I question the continued desire to make them slimmer. Those slim LED TV's don't have an Intel processor and hard drive in them!

I foresee more heating issues when these are released.
  • Reply 31 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I've trouble had is explaining that there is a difference, it's like no one noticed and are completely unaware. Gloss/matte was always a false dilemma in my opinion, they weren't as good as a decent Rayleigh coating. A lot of CRTs had Rayleigh type anti glare coatings so you don't need a matte surface, even Apple's flat CRTs had it. It's a similar treatment to anti-glare glasses and camera lenses. The current MacBook Air have that kind of treatment, I thought seriously about getting one because of it. If Apple makes an iMac like that, I'll go with that. I was considering having such glass custom cut for an iMac.

It will be interesting to see what Apple delivers. Many of these technologies require some sort of vacuum coating process. Thus they are expensive, especially for large panel sizes.

The problem I see already in this thread is that people are immediately thinking matte which may be way off base. Matte has always been a terrible solution to the problem at hand, even if some have convinced themselves that they gotta have it.

Quote:

I think a lower spec iMac-like circuitry with a TV-type screen is easily doable, I just wouldn't expect them to.

IOS hardware would likely be in AppleTV. Further it would most likely be the next generation processor. I'm still not convinced that Apple will build a TV, it just isn't highly profitable. However a TV tuner in a Mac might have some uses.
  • Reply 32 of 103
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BandiTT View Post

The white iMacs already had anti glare displays. Apple switched to "glossy only" on the aluminium iMacs...

Yep.That lack of correct history and the fact that they said G-Tech is the supplier (Not Samsung, LG or Sharp who are the biggies for Apple) and I can't help but wonder if this was an attempt at an April Fools Joke
  • Reply 33 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

So you really believe the above statement has a reason to exist in public? Apple went to the glossy displays because of the viewing quality and public demand, to try to imply that it was all driven by some evil intent is pathetic.

Quote:

I for one am interested, as I have previously indicated my current matte screen iMac would be my last Mac.

No body will mis you!

Quote:

I'd have to see the new systems in person though.

Honestly can you be objective here?

Quote:

Also, I question the continued desire to make them slimmer. Those slim LED TV's don't have an Intel processor and hard drive in them!

I foresee more heating issues when these are released.

Which is another reason to avoid all in ones. It amazes me that people bring up all of the issues the have with iMacs and totally ignore the one very important point, you don't have to buy all in ones!
  • Reply 34 of 103
    lil_blil_b Posts: 4member
    They are probably talking about anti-reflective glass. Not matte glass. You can't use a matte display with current Apple designs because the outer glass panel would blur everything.

The matte film has to be right up against the panel, which is not possible on touchscreen devices and iMacs. The only way to make a matte iMac would be to get rid of the glass.
  • Reply 35 of 103
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

don't be so quick to make that judgement. We don't know if they are doing it, how they are doing it or when the process to try to make it happen started. This could be something that has been going on for a couple of years and just happened to end after Jobs died.
  • Reply 36 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Yep.That lack of correct history and the fact that they said G-Tech is the supplier (Not Samsung, LG or Sharp who are the biggies for Apple) and I can't help but wonder if this was an attempt at an April Fools Joke

In a nut shell G-Tech is a glass processing company.
  • Reply 37 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

So you really believe the above statement has a reason to exist in public? Apple went to the glossy displays because of the viewing quality and public demand, to try to imply that it was all driven by some evil intent is pathetic...

Wow, dramatic much?

Not sure how you could misconstrue what I said...

Everyone knows that what Steve wanted, Steve got. He liked glossy displays, so we got glossy displays. Period.

The argument about being what the public wanted is hilarious.
  • Reply 38 of 103
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    The 2009 iMac's were not a major redesign. The iMac G4 and G5 were major redesigns. The current design has been around for 7 years.
  • Reply 39 of 103
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

My eyes say otherwise

My point is that a matte screen is not the same as anti glare screen. This will still be a glass panel, but with some sort of tech to reduce reflection, much as museum glass.
  • Reply 40 of 103
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The whole article did loose some credibility as the writer confused many issues. For one a matte screen is not the same thing as an anti reflective glass screen. While I hope the rumors are based on some fact, it is pretty hard to tell what a new iMac might have from this article.

The same glass as the built-to-order 15 and 17 MBPs?

The old white iMac matte was LCD technology.