Apple working on physical game controller for iPads and other iOS devices

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    An app could be easily, not by me, made that simulates a controller for the iPhone that could pair with the iPad. You saw what that company did with the scrabble game. But I would love to see a slick, aluminum, wireless gaming controller from Apple.
  • Reply 22 of 56
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Never happen.

These reports come up every once in a while and they are always wrong. The reason is that the so-called "hard core" gamers are under the illusion that the games they play are the only kind of games, the only "real" games that "real hard-core" gamers will play when in fact it's a dying category.

The gaming industry is currently booming in all categories except shooters (FP or otherwise), and war games. Since this is pretty much the only category for which you need a dedicated, physical, controller, the idea that Apple will turn their new platform on it's head to accommodate these games is really just a fantasy.

Those kind of games aren't going away anytime soon, but the idea that the newly resurgent games market Apple is leading has to jump through hoops by creating a physical controller for this single, fading, games category is ridiculous.

that's what you think

the latest Call of Duty game is a billion $$$ seller every year. Mass Effect is in the hundreds of millions of $$$
  • Reply 23 of 56
    Amen brotha. A <insert fav expression here> men.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by juggernaut30 View Post

I would love to continue to play my casual games while out and about in the world. Then come home and pop the iPad into a stand and pick up a controller to play my hard core games. Just give me the choice.

• Reply 24 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

Let's see. Apple's market cap is more than twice that of Google.

Apple Market Cap: 567.87B

Google Market Cap: 207.69B

Yep. Apple is feeling the pressure all right.

It is an emotional device, rather than journalism. Apple fans like to feel that they are facing adversity.
  • Reply 25 of 56
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

It'll definitely get the 'guys without a life' market on board, so great.

But the population of people who will want to futz with a last-century D-Pad instead of using accelerometer, compas, gyro and touch will be a small percentage of overall iOS users.

Difference is these people (and there are a lot of them) are prepared to pay a proper amount for a quality gaming experience, unlike the vast majority of iOS gamers who think everything should be 99 cents.
  • Reply 26 of 56
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

It is an emotional device, rather than journalism. Apple fans like to feel that they are facing adversity.

A truism of an era past. Apple's fan base is now so wide and huge it includes mostly people who love Apple design and products with no sense of being the underdog. But I agree that among the older Apple fan base (I am one) the sense of facing adversity is a good one. Us against them, kind of thing. Steve Jobs was all about that and it is at the root of the whole apple 'movement' of the past. That feeling prevails in places like this but not really out there in the real world.

No evidence - just my sense of things as I see them.
  • Reply 27 of 56
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

That's pretty much the only way it makes sense to me, because if you're using the iPad as the screen then I think it would become rather cumbersome to have to hold both the iPad and the game controller, or to have the game controller connected to the iPad.

I guess you could put the iPad on a stand and treat it like a mini-TV, but that seems contrary to what an iPad is designed to be (aka, a mobile device).

There is another option. I'd like to see gaming APIs. Pretty much make a standard set of controls easy for game vendors to create on-screen controls that can also be paired to a physical controller with either a pairing of a BT device or plugging in the D-pad module around the iPod Touch, for example.

This would allow a bridge between game developer A and D-pad maker B. Apple could make and market their own but encourage others vendors to make their own would help strengthen their ecosystem.

Quote:

Let's see. Apple's market cap is more than twice that of Google.

Apple Market Cap: 567.87B

Google Market Cap: 207.69B

Yep. Apple is feeling the pressure all right.

I'd think going after Sony and Nintendo's makrets to strengthen their iDevice ecosystem makes more sense than feeling threatened by Google.
  • Reply 28 of 56
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I've been saying this for a long time now! If true, then this is good news.

Yeah, there are some third party controllers out there, but none of them have really taken off.

Apple needs to make their own. Only Apple has the power to make millions of them and design a controller that is going to be great and be widely adopted by many games and consumers.
  • Reply 29 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

A truism of an era past. Apple's fan base is now so wide and huge it includes mostly people who love Apple design and products with no sense of being the underdog. But I agree that among the older Apple fan base (I am one) the sense of facing adversity is a good one. Us against them, kind of thing. Steve Jobs was all about that and it is at the root of the whole apple 'movement' of the past. That feeling prevails in places like this but not really out there in the real world.

No evidence - just my sense of things as I see them.

As your sense of things, it is as valid as anybody else's.

When I notice somebody uses an Apple product, and I ask them about their feelings towards Apple (as in "So you like Apple stuff?) I often get one of two responses. Usually either a sheepish "yeah" or an overly proud response. Both of them seem to be inspired by the thought "Here it comes". Both seem to be inspired by an expected need to defend themselves.

So I see the "overcoming adversity" thing as alive and well.

But I agree with you that Apple used to play the "Us against them" card much more in the past (both the Think Different campaign and the I'm a Mac campaign fed into this). And I agree that today, many people buy Apple products who have no inkling of the Old Ways, and are not buying Apple due to any desire to position themselves in society.

In some markets, I think some people buy Apple so to NOT appear different. I bought my kid an MP3 player once that was better than any iPod at the time. He loved it, but when it came tome to replace it, he wanted an iPod. He said he was sick of explaining to people why he had something different.

Tablets are that way today. Anybody/everybody who buys something other than an iPad will be questioned as to their choice. An iPad buyer need not justify anything.

So I think we're in flux, a lot of the Old Ways still exist, and you are correct that there are a bazillion new buyers who know nothing about Apple being the product for the Superior Humans who "Get It".
  • Reply 30 of 56
    Quote:

The gaming industry is currently booming in all categories except shooters (FP or otherwise), and war games. Since this is pretty much the only category for which you need a dedicated, physical, controller, the idea that Apple will turn their new platform on it's head to accommodate these games is really just a fantasy.

That is weird I play Call of duty on a PC, I haven't touched a controller in months. Lets try to play a non first person shooter like say...The Elder Scrolls IV Skyrim (its no where as simple as infinity blade.) People like consoles because they have a cheaper price of entry, the games being more then a way to pass time on the john, and better multiplier. Yeah the ipad can do a lot of things but it is not going to put dedicated game consoles out.
  • Reply 31 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

that's what you think

the latest Call of Duty game is a billion $$$ seller every year. Mass Effect is in the hundreds of millions of $$$

That's my impression as well - that far from being a "dying category", "Hard Core" games are instead an extremely well-selling and profitable category of products.

I'd like to see the OP cite his evidence.
  • Reply 32 of 56
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

That's my impression as well - that far from being a "dying category", "Hard Core" games are instead an extremely well-selling and profitable category of products.

I'd like to see the OP cite his evidence.

A market dying refers to a market shrinking which is relative to previous sales results. It does not mean that a market is unprofitable or that specific products within a market aren't wildly successful.

An example of a dying market is the PMP market, which means the iPod.

Note: I am not commenting on whether the "hardcore" gaming market is shrinking or growing, just noting how the term is oft used.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    is this like the valve source that said a steam console was coming out?

Yeah, I will believe this BS when I see it

And I knowthis is a bias apple site, so I should expect as much, but they should leave the nintendo and sony sales talk to people who actually know what they are talking about, you know with nintendo in massive profit again and the 3ds being the number 1 system in the world
  • Reply 34 of 56
    Quote:

that's what you think

As a percentage of overall profits or market share though it's still diminishing. All the other game categories are booming.
  • Reply 35 of 56
    I am the complete opposite. I have an XBOX360 and 'haven't installed a game in a PC in two years. Games being optimized for consoles first kinda killed my enthusiasm for PC only games.

I do agree that the iOS won't replace consoles anytime soon. Having an option to use a controller is a good thing to have though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

That is weird I play Call of duty on a PC, I haven't touched a controller in months. Lets try to play a non first person shooter like say...The Elder Scrolls IV Skyrim (its no where as simple as infinity blade.) People like consoles because they have a cheaper price of entry, the games being more then a way to pass time on the john, and better multiplier. Yeah the ipad can do a lot of things but it is not going to put dedicated game consoles out.

• Reply 36 of 56
    since when are baseless rumors fact?
  • Reply 37 of 56
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

I am the complete opposite. I have an XBOX360 and 'haven't installed a game in a PC in two years. Games being optimized for consoles first kinda killed my enthusiasm for PC only games.

I do agree that the iOS won't replace consoles anytime soon. Having an option to use a controller is a good thing to have though.

controller is the easy part

only thing holding apple back is flash storage. Mass effect is like 20GB. once idevices come with like 128GB it's all over for 2/3 of the console makers.

or you can do something like release and airport with an apple TV integrated and be able to attack a USB hard drive to play huge games
  • Reply 38 of 56
    Quote:

As a percentage of overall profits or market share though it's still diminishing. All the other game categories are booming.

Got any evidence that the category is not growing? Are you backpedaling now?

Are you saying that a "growing" market is a "dying market" if a related category is growing faster?

Or what?

Are console games a "dying market"?
  • Reply 39 of 56
    Perhaps there is potential huge market for Onlive type of hosting for games on a back end data center.

Onlive already has the infrastructure. But I guess the big part would be convincing game developers to create games with ME3 caliber and run on iOS.

But as some pointed out here, hard core games have very limited market. I mean I don't know how true that is, but I never ever want to be stuck playing Angry Birds (never bought the dang thing) or Where's my Water type games.

Quote:

controller is the easy part

only thing holding apple back is flash storage. Mass effect is like 20GB. once idevices come with like 128GB it's all over for 2/3 of the console makers.

or you can do something like release and airport with an apple TV integrated and be able to attack a USB hard drive to play huge games

• Reply 40 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Apple should build this controller on Kickstarter. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...rt-controllers

You don't have Adobe Flash....

Was going to back it up but then the above came up, passed...