New iPad impressing more buyers, tops Consumer Reports tablet picks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The new iPad is great! I began reading a new book on it last night, and it is most impressive, to put it mildly.

I couldn't agree more- retina display makes for a great read. No eye fatique. Using it more and more as my reader of choice.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Yep and yep. Cause most folks don't even realize that it's 1 mm thicker and like 0.01grams heavier.

Note, it's only 0.6mm thicker. Apparently human hair can be substantially thicker and on average is.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Note, it's only 0.6mm thicker. Apparently human hair can be substantially thicker and on average is.

Not mine. Does that make you a liar? Perhaps a Bosley shill?

BTW, check the article again.

"The Thickest Hair in the human body belongs to a man's moustache. Moustache hair is like a strap. The thinner dimension is as thick as 0.2MM and the thicker dimension is as thick as 0.3 MM. These are usually the thickest hairs measured.

No human hair is as thick as the .6mm increase in the newest iPad, at least according to your link. Still a negligible change tho and one most buyers probably wouldn't notice. So you have the right idea, just using he wrong stat to prove it.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Not mine. Does that make you a liar? Perhaps a Bosley shill?

1) I used the 'apparently' qualifier to indicate that I haven't been able to verify the info.

2) I said human hair... not all hair on all humans.

3) Are you saying you have alopecia universalis?

4) This is a detailed response to a clearly humorous comment.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I think that that interpretation is pushing it. A lot.

This whole 'impressed' stuff came from a survey of 200 new owners. That's probably not enough to be statistically sound.

Well, a sample size of 200 provides a margin of error of ±5.7% (with 90% confidence).

Given the overwhelming proportions involved in the answers, that seems to be plenty (in other words, their spending more on increasing the sample size is not likely to lead to greater precision in their findings).
  • Reply 26 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Very fair statements Charlituna.

No, see above.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Well, a sample size of 200 provides a margin of error of ±5.7% (with 90% confidence).

Given the overwhelming proportions involved in the answers, that seems to be plenty (in other words, their spending more on increasing the sample size is not likely to lead to greater precision in their findings).

What is the equation for determining MoE?
  • Reply 28 of 47
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

So despite the 116° F temperature CR says it's the only excellent iPad? CR needs to test bipolar drugs... because theres isn't working.

Come on Sol. I know your reading comprehension is better than this. The CR article clearly states that, because of the new iPad's retina screen being so far ahead of it's competition .... it raises the bar so high that any screen that doesn't match it cannot be said to be excellent. That, in no way, takes away from the fact that previous iPads still have superior screens than any other tablet, in the opinions of many people.

You used to be better than this. Very disappointing! \

FYI, theirs, not theres
  • Reply 29 of 47
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

I have the new iPad 16 gig wifi only( I ain't paying for no goddam 4g!) and it is awesome as hell. Build quality is excellent and the screen is magnificent.

Here is my dream feature for the next iPad or the next after the next:

I want to be able to write on the ipad as if I'm writing on paper.

NO LAG. Or lag so minimal I wouldn't notice it.

That would be awesome!

This is my own subjective "killer feature." I've heard some people pan this idea as it suggests forbidden word (stylus), but the fact remains that there are very few work stations in the 21st century that don't utilize post-it notes or the like. It's not enough to have a stylus and the current hardware software. When there is hardware and software good enough to track your pen such that you forget you're writing on a tablet, it will be everywhere. I can think of very few people who don't take notes. Incidentally, I'd also like this capacity on a phone so that I can take quick notes (as sinful as an imbedded stylus might seem to others). I don't want to laboriously list grocery items in siri. I want to quickly jot them down.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    Quote:

What is the equation for determining MoE?

Here you go: http://www.raosoft.com/samplesize.html
  • Reply 31 of 47
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Via Gruber, Incremental Change Wins Apple Big Gains.

The article describes how Apple's success involves an elaborately cross-reinforcing system of goods and services, polices, warrantees, upgrade cycles and support, all of which are pretty much impossible for the competition to replicate, and which makes trying to explain what Apple is doing (or, in this case, the satisfaction levels of the iPad) by listing specs and features (or for that matter making mountains out of ginned up "controversies") completely misses the point.

When you buy an iPad you're not just buying that device, you're buying "Apple"-- the stores and Genius bars, the easy integration amongst various devices, the iTunes hub, iCloud, control of the entire stack, etc. It's easy to assume that "customer satisfaction" is driven by cool hardware, but without even quite realizing it I think the average Apple buyer is also pleased by the ability to "relax" around not just the immediate purchase but everything that comes after, right up till it's time to get a new one.

You can't buy "Samsung", in this sense, or Moto or LG. You can kind of buy into Google, by using their suite of services, but that's a very different feeling, and they notoriously leave you to your own devices if something goes wrong. Moreover, if I buy, say, some iteration of the Galaxy series, I have zero sense of how that's going to pan up down the line. OS updates? Service? Immediate obsolescence? Integration with other devices? Maybe, but who knows? Even if I really like that particular product, that feeling is going to evaporate if I run into problems, or if Samsung immediately lets me know my device is old and busted by trumpeting the new hotness. It also tells me that they no longer care about me or my device, and if I want to continue to party with them I'd best just upgrade every 3 months.

As the article points out, low margins mean everybody but Apple has to thrash the hell out of the user base. Apple can afford this orderly, incremental process, and I think increasingly it translates into a safe haven for the tech weary.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    Quote:

Putting it side by side with last year's I didn't even noice the slight increase in thickness. It does feel a little heavier and warmer but neither are a big deal at all.

I may sound crazier here but the screen actually feels smoother if that makes any sense at all
  • Reply 33 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andyapple View Post

So, the 2% who were not satisfied... WTF were they expecting that Apple failed to deliver?

They wanted Siri with the voice of Barbara Eden, and better resolution in the nose hair cam.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    lol now suddenly what CR says is something anyone should give a shit about
  • Reply 35 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

They wanted Siri with the voice of Barbara Eden, and better resolution in the nose hair cam.

Coincidentally, I did have Siri addressing me as "My Master" for a little while...
  • Reply 36 of 47
    davemcm76davemcm76 Posts: 268member
    Having upgraded from an iPad 2 to the new iPad (64GB wifi both of them) the size / weight differences are pretty much unnoticeable unless you are really trying to find them but the screen! oh my god the screen!

One of my pet peeves with my iPad 2 was that despite being fast and having brilliant apps the display always looked slightly "blurry" when compared to my retina iPhone 4. With the new iPad the display is just phenomenal... reading is now a pleasure on it with uber crisp text and images and the updates apps and games look like they are printed onto the screen.... Even my mum stopped and had to say wow when I showed her and she "doesn't see the point of all these portable computer things"!

No, it doesn't run hot. Warmer than the iPad 2 at times, but not hot....

Yes, it does take an age to charge. But then the battery also lasts an age (if I don't spend hours playing Real Racing 2HD!) which is why it gets plugged in overnight every other day or so when the battery eventually gets low enough for me to be bothered.

For me it was well worth the update from iPad 2 to iPad (3rd gen) for the screen alone, despite my iPad 2 only being 11 months old and absolutely flawless... so I sold the iPad 2 to my sister
  • Reply 37 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

For me it was well worth the update from iPad 2 to iPad (3rd gen) for the screen alone, despite my iPad 2 only being 11 months old and absolutely flawless... so I sold the iPad 2 to my sister

You SOLD it to her! You sold your sister the used iPad? After all the covering for you during your childhood that she did for you, you made her pay for the used iPad?

I'm betting she's busy selling you out to your parents as we speak. You are gonna be so grounded!

• Reply 38 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Nope. They should keep their reviews to toaster ovens and vacuum cleaners. And even then, I'd ignore their recommendation.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    davemcm76davemcm76 Posts: 268member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I'm betting she's busy selling you out to your parents as we speak. You are gonna be so grounded!

She can try if she wants but as I'm 36 and haven't lived with my parents since I left for Uni at 18 I'd hope I'm a bit beyond grounding at this point

I did sell it to her for a discount on what I was aiming for had I put it on eBay instead. £280 for a 64Gb wifi with leather smart cover seemed quite a good deal to me and essentially covered half the purchase price of my new one...
  • Reply 40 of 47
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Yeah. If you'd read the thread instead of going for the reflexive dickhead you'd see that pretty much everyone (except a few people like you who are all excited about detecting fanboy hypocrisy) are either ignoring CR to speak directly to the iPad's assets, or shaking their heads about CR's strange personality. Or just dismissing CR altogether.